Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Jam-Master Jay wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:I'd probably give Black Clover another chance if Asta were to be fired into the sun and I could somehow wipe my memory of his hair. Probably for the best that I don't pick it up though as I'm a bit burnt out and struggling to read everything else in Jump each week.


How many are you reading?

Something pretty cool just happened in chapter 45 of BC: annoying guy (the one who's always going on about his sister) had an epiphany in the middle of a battle and thought up a new technique.


Everything but Me & Roboco and Black Clover. Roboco does nothing but make references to other Jump series and isn't very funny for a gag manga - High School Family, Magu-chan and Witch Watch are actually funny and Witch Watch even manages to pull off the reference-shtick better. Black Clover is just one of those rare series where a character design or art-style puts me off and the less said about screaming anime Asta the better. :slol: From what I've gathered in manga groups is that it has some of the best pacing in the genre and a couple of really good characters so I'm sure you'll have a blast and I'm probably missing out.


It's funny you should mention pacing because that's what I'm not liking about it :lol: It just seems to careen from crisis to calamity with very little happening in-between. *Of course* things of consequence happen in between, but not enough of it for my liking. Maybe it gets better, though. I'm on chapter 76. As for the art... there were a few good splash pages a few chapters back or so, but other than that, it's nothing to write home about. Ditto the characters and plot.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:22 pm

Who in the strawberry float wrote the Rainbow Mist filler?! It's the *worst* bit of One Piece bar none. Oda must have been on holiday when it came to eyeing the script over. The crew being outdone by those mechs? Not having the sense to attack the generators?! The space warp nonsense? The Merry Go flying about like that?! JFC. I'm *genuinely* offended they broadcast that :lol: And what the cock kind of name is "Rapa Nui"?!!

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:47 am

twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1415540136155172866


They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Skypiea Arc HYPE!!! It's not even properly started (they're about to go meet Cricket) but I'm loving it already :toot: :toot: :toot:

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:19 am

I'm up to episode 153 of One Piece. The preamble to reaching Skypiea (omfg I got the spelling of it right on my first go for once!!) was expertly crafted and hype-inducingly epic.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm impressed you've watched 153 episodes in such a relatively short time. Took me around 3 months to watch all the currently available seasons of JoJo.

Image
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:03 pm

JoJolion is coming to an end next month and it seems Araki is gearing up for Part IX at the age of 61, I guess the Stone Mask was real afterall. :wub:

Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:I'd probably give Black Clover another chance if Asta were to be fired into the sun and I could somehow wipe my memory of his hair. Probably for the best that I don't pick it up though as I'm a bit burnt out and struggling to read everything else in Jump each week.


How many are you reading?

Something pretty cool just happened in chapter 45 of BC: annoying guy (the one who's always going on about his sister) had an epiphany in the middle of a battle and thought up a new technique.


Everything but Me & Roboco and Black Clover. Roboco does nothing but make references to other Jump series and isn't very funny for a gag manga - High School Family, Magu-chan and Witch Watch are actually funny and Witch Watch even manages to pull off the reference-shtick better. Black Clover is just one of those rare series where a character design or art-style puts me off and the less said about screaming anime Asta the better. :slol: From what I've gathered in manga groups is that it has some of the best pacing in the genre and a couple of really good characters so I'm sure you'll have a blast and I'm probably missing out.


It's funny you should mention pacing because that's what I'm not liking about it :lol: It just seems to careen from crisis to calamity with very little happening in-between. *Of course* things of consequence happen in between, but not enough of it for my liking. Maybe it gets better, though. I'm on chapter 76. As for the art... there were a few good splash pages a few chapters back or so, but other than that, it's nothing to write home about. Ditto the characters and plot.


From what I've heard and what little I have read the plot isn't anything special but never gets boring due to the quicker pacing, though I suppose that speediness leaves less time for character development or overall world building. Character wise I've seen praise for writing some decent female characters who aren't made to be completely useless or only there for fanservice shenanigans.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:00 am

Ironhide wrote:I'm impressed you've watched 153 episodes in such a relatively short time. Took me around 3 months to watch all the currently available seasons of JoJo.


I watch anywhere between 2.5 and 5 episodes a day. Weekday I manage 2.5 (part in morning and then again in evening), and on weekends, when left to my own devices, I can go nuts. Ditto on lunchtimes if I'm not being asked to do gooseberry fool. Though I'd watch even more via my phone if Crunchyroll app was any good.

Jam-Master Jay wrote:JoJolion is coming to an end next month and it seems Araki is gearing up for Part IX at the age of 61, I guess the Stone Mask was real afterall. :wub:

Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:I'd probably give Black Clover another chance if Asta were to be fired into the sun and I could somehow wipe my memory of his hair. Probably for the best that I don't pick it up though as I'm a bit burnt out and struggling to read everything else in Jump each week.


How many are you reading?

Something pretty cool just happened in chapter 45 of BC: annoying guy (the one who's always going on about his sister) had an epiphany in the middle of a battle and thought up a new technique.


Everything but Me & Roboco and Black Clover. Roboco does nothing but make references to other Jump series and isn't very funny for a gag manga - High School Family, Magu-chan and Witch Watch are actually funny and Witch Watch even manages to pull off the reference-shtick better. Black Clover is just one of those rare series where a character design or art-style puts me off and the less said about screaming anime Asta the better. :slol: From what I've gathered in manga groups is that it has some of the best pacing in the genre and a couple of really good characters so I'm sure you'll have a blast and I'm probably missing out.


It's funny you should mention pacing because that's what I'm not liking about it :lol: It just seems to careen from crisis to calamity with very little happening in-between. *Of course* things of consequence happen in between, but not enough of it for my liking. Maybe it gets better, though. I'm on chapter 76. As for the art... there were a few good splash pages a few chapters back or so, but other than that, it's nothing to write home about. Ditto the characters and plot.


From what I've heard and what little I have read the plot isn't anything special but never gets boring due to the quicker pacing, though I suppose that speediness leaves less time for character development or overall world building. Character wise I've seen praise for writing some decent female characters who aren't made to be completely useless or only there for fanservice shenanigans.


Yeah. That sounds about right. The things I'd change re the prominent women on Asta's team is to remove half-naked drunk trope, and also reduce the pin-up shots of the snobby girl's rack.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:49 pm

This drew a laugh from me:

Image

Still not properly hooked, but am at least masking good progress.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:08 pm

Poor Kobeni really needs protecting. :lol:

Power is just the best. :wub:

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:25 pm

Chapter 23: Hooked.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:37 pm

Black Clover is now on my 'I intend to watch' list as I like the look of it.

Watching the current season of MHA first though.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:06 am

ker sigh.

Image

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:19 am

Chainsaw Man: I'm still pissed off, but 27 was still a pretty badass display of power.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 am

I'm enjoying Chainsaw but strawberry floating hell I cannot get a handle on it. It doesn't really fit a particular formula, or if it does, only about 65% of it does with the remainder jutting out at a bizarre angle for some reason. Is good though.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by VlaSoul » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:47 am

Saint of Killers wrote:I'm enjoying Chainsaw but strawberry floating hell I cannot get a handle on it. It doesn't really fit a particular formula, or if it does, only about 65% of it does with the remainder jutting out at a bizarre angle for some reason. Is good though.

that's exactly why works like Chainsaw Man are so good
I think One Punch and Mob Psycho were great for similar reasons

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:18 am

VlaSoul wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:I'm enjoying Chainsaw but strawberry floating hell I cannot get a handle on it. It doesn't really fit a particular formula, or if it does, only about 65% of it does with the remainder jutting out at a bizarre angle for some reason. Is good though.

that's exactly why works like Chainsaw Man are so good
I think One Punch and Mob Psycho were great for similar reasons


I really should read those.

Chainsaw chapter 42: HA! Really good subversion of expectations there. (But it only lead to initial suspicions being on the nose, and so I am not sure if that's still good, or not.)

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Chainsaw 49: Okay. THAT is legit hi-larious.

(Making you think he's gonna swing like Spidey from building to building using his chain :slol: And the actual method of movement is just :chef's kiss: brillant)

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:20 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:Chainsaw 49: Okay. THAT is legit hi-larious.

(Making you think he's gonna swing like Spidey from building to building using his chain :slol: And the actual method of movement is just :chef's kiss: brillant)


That entire Bomb arc has such amazing action while Denji and Beam pull off their bullshittery. :lol:

The author Tatsuki Fujimoto also did Fire Punch which is worth checking out. I'd also highly recommend Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku by his former assistant Yuji Kaku.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Jam-Master Jay wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:Chainsaw 49: Okay. THAT is legit hi-larious.

(Making you think he's gonna swing like Spidey from building to building using his chain :slol: And the actual method of movement is just :chef's kiss: brillant)


That entire Bomb arc has such amazing action while Denji and Beam pull off their bullshittery. :lol:

The author Tatsuki Fujimoto also did Fire Punch which is worth checking out. I'd also highly recommend Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku by his former assistant Yuji Kaku.


Ta for the recommends. Will def check 'em out.

My fave bits of the arc so far: Reze saying what the reader is thinking. And Denji admitting he's just winging it.

Image

Image

Beam grew on me real quick :lol: I also like how Reze ignored Kobeni as she was of no danger to her. Oh and, how Kobeni, after her poor showing in the hotel, turned out to be a badass ninja.

They're over there, by their theremin.

Return to “Stuff”