Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Massive JoJo spoilers

Avdol and Iggy, noooooooooooooooo! :cry:

I'm predicting Joseph doesn't make it either.


3 Episodes to go, then a long wait for Netflix to get the next part :x

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Grumpy David » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:31 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:Zolo is a proper badass mofo.


It's practically blasphemy to spell Zoro that way. :capnscotty:

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:03 pm

I won't argue against that! My reasoning though is that is how it's been spelt for the vast majority of what I've read and so spelling it the correct way would somehow feel wrong / disingenuous.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:09 pm

Ironhide wrote:Massive JoJo spoilers

Avdol and Iggy, noooooooooooooooo! :cry:

I'm predicting Joseph doesn't make it either.


3 Episodes to go, then a long wait for Netflix to get the next part :x


They're up on Crunchyroll.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Lagamorph » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Grumpy David wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:Zolo is a proper badass mofo.


It's practically blasphemy to spell Zoro that way. :capnscotty:

From what I understand it's a hold over from the early days of the manga which began official release when the 4Kids dub was airing and the manga name was made the same for consistency.

That or it was just a translation error by someone who forgot/didn't know about the Japanese L/R differences and by the time it was picked up ot was too late.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:02 pm

Ironhide wrote:Massive JoJo spoilers

Avdol and Iggy, noooooooooooooooo! :cry:

I'm predicting Joseph doesn't make it either.


3 Episodes to go, then a long wait for Netflix to get the next part :x


Avdol was taken out in an instant so there was more disbelief than with Iggy's slow death and sacrifice to save Polnareff. It got me when I first read it and it gets me every time I watch it in the anime... then there's the whole soul departing scene. :cry:

Vanilla Ice. :evil:


I could have sworn Part IV was on Netflix but then again they are always removing stuff.

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:04 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:Zolo is a proper badass mofo.


It's practically blasphemy to spell Zoro that way. :capnscotty:

From what I understand it's a hold over from the early days of the manga which began official release when the 4Kids dub was airing and the manga name was made the same for consistency.

That or it was just a translation error by someone who forgot/didn't know about the Japanese L/R differences and by the time it was picked up ot was too late.


I'm just gonna say if anyone knows enough Japanese to translate One Piece they're not going to be forgetting about the L/R difference especially given the whole reason he's called Zoro is after the incredibly famous swordsman. It's probably because of copyright they couldn't use that name in English to begin with. That's why the Jojo characters got so completely strawberry floated in the translation. :lol:

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:51 pm

Qikz wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:Zolo is a proper badass mofo.


It's practically blasphemy to spell Zoro that way. :capnscotty:

From what I understand it's a hold over from the early days of the manga which began official release when the 4Kids dub was airing and the manga name was made the same for consistency.

That or it was just a translation error by someone who forgot/didn't know about the Japanese L/R differences and by the time it was picked up ot was too late.


I'm just gonna say if anyone knows enough Japanese to translate One Piece they're not going to be forgetting about the L/R difference especially given the whole reason he's called Zoro is after the incredibly famous swordsman. It's probably because of copyright they couldn't use that name in English to begin with. That's why the Jojo characters got so completely strawberry floated in the translation. :lol:


That's my understanding of it. (From reading a wiki entry.)

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by VlaSoul » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:06 pm

;)
Jam-Master Jay wrote:
Ironhide wrote:Massive JoJo spoilers

Avdol and Iggy, noooooooooooooooo! :cry:

I'm predicting Joseph doesn't make it either.


3 Episodes to go, then a long wait for Netflix to get the next part :x


Avdol was taken out in an instant so there was more disbelief than with Iggy's slow death and sacrifice to save Polnareff. It got me when I first read it and it gets me every time I watch it in the anime... then there's the whole soul departing scene. :cry:

Vanilla Ice. :evil:


I could have sworn Part IV was on Netflix but then again they are always removing stuff.

Death is one of those things JoJo handles better than most series imo; especially starting from this part. It's always quick and violent, there's no time for characters to monologue to each other for their feelings or some gooseberry fool.

Also man the way Polnareff just coldly pushes Vanilla Ice into the light is great


also iirc part 4 was added recently

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Met » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:02 pm

Stone Ocean anime just got announced, too. Hope everyone is ready for best girl.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Met wrote:Stone Ocean anime just got announced, too. Hope everyone is ready for best girl.


:toot:

twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/1378654840499236869



twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/1378656448415031296


They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Guy Brush of Lincolnshire

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Chocolate-Milk » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:58 pm


Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Jam-Master Jay » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:18 pm

Jaws are going to hit the floor if they animate that final arc properly. I have full faith in David Production.

Jolyne is going to be amazing. :wub:

Image
User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by VlaSoul » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 pm

Met wrote:Stone Ocean anime just got announced, too. Hope everyone is ready for best girl.

hype hype hype

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Qikz » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:52 pm

Met wrote:Stone Ocean anime just got announced, too. Hope everyone is ready for best girl.


Yup, I'm ready for FF!

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:19 pm

I reckon I could binge watch all of the Diamond is Unbreakable arc during the 14 day trial of Crunchyroll, and still have time for S2 of One Punch Man.

Not sure that I watch enough anime to justify the monthly sub..

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:36 am

Ironhide wrote:I reckon I could binge watch all of the Diamond is Unbreakable arc during the 14 day trial of Crunchyroll, and still have time for S2 of One Punch Man.

Not sure that I watch enough anime to justify the monthly sub..


If you watch on PC, Crunchyroll + adblocker = anime with zero ads. No adverts, access to simulcast episodes and merch store discount is the only difference between free and premium Crunchyroll. (And you'll obviously have access to all the JoJo eps on there from the off as they've been out ages.) I found that the site and episodes are easier to navigate on PC. I tried watching via my Roku and the ads and naff navigation put me right off it. (I got multiple ads per episode.)

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:
Ironhide wrote:I reckon I could binge watch all of the Diamond is Unbreakable arc during the 14 day trial of Crunchyroll, and still have time for S2 of One Punch Man.

Not sure that I watch enough anime to justify the monthly sub..


If you watch on PC, Crunchyroll + adblocker = anime with zero ads. No adverts, access to simulcast episodes and merch store discount is the only difference between free and premium Crunchyroll. (And you'll obviously have access to all the JoJo eps on there from the off as they've been out ages.) I found that the site and episodes are easier to navigate on PC. I tried watching via my Roku and the ads and naff navigation put me right off it. (I got multiple ads per episode.)


Adblock :wub:

Cheers SoK.

Just spotted they have Golden Wind as well as Diamond is Unbreakable.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Ironhide » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:37 pm

The art style of Diamond is Unbreakable is taking some getting used to.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Okarin tutturu~! The Japanese Anime & Manga Thread II [POST YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS]
by Saint of Killers » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:51 pm

Ironhide wrote:The art style of Diamond is Unbreakable is taking some getting used to.


After the hulking physiques of the previous arcs, I found the art of DiU really easy on eyes.

Please also check out Mob Psycho 100 while you're on Cruncyhroll. It's by the same creator (and animation house I think) which were responsible for One Punch Man s1.

They're over there, by their theremin.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, andretmzt, Blue Eyes, Christopher, coldspice, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, Grumpy David, Joer, Lagamorph, Memento Mori, Met, Outrunner, Rich, Xeno and 112 guests