The last game you gave up on and your reasons + some gooseberry fool about MGS

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Trelliz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 pm

WRC 6 - Xbox One

This was only a fiver from GAME online so thought i'd give it a try - it looks awful and the framerate is pretty sluggish most of the time. At least Driveclub and Forza Horizon 3 look great in their tradeoff for 30fps. I'm going to trade it in for £9 at a GAME store (no wonder they're going bust) for some steam credit or something and dig into the myriad Dirt and even prior WRC games on PC that will look and run better with a bigger car roster.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Photek » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Qikz wrote:Bioshock - Got bored with the setting and the story very quickly
Dark Souls - Got bored with the combat.

I very rarely give up on a game. I just don't buy games normally I don't want to play.

Good god.

I gave up on......well I always tend to go back to almost everything, maybe Watchdogs 1....

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by IAmTheSaladMan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm

I haven't quite given up on Dragon Warrior VII but I'm getting close, it's just becoming such a chore to play now. I'm about 80 hours in and I'd wager a good 15-20 hours of that was just grinding without actually getting anywhere. I'm currently stuck on a boss who fights really dirty by putting my party to sleep and poisoning them in his opening turn so they all die a few turns later before I've even got any offence in. I don't want to give up entirely as that's 80+ hours down the drain but it's certainly on the back burner for the time being.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Squinty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:54 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:I haven't quite given up on Dragon Warrior VII but I'm getting close, it's just becoming such a chore to play now. I'm about 80 hours in and I'd wager a good 15-20 hours of that was just grinding without actually getting anywhere. I'm currently stuck on a boss who fights really dirty by putting my party to sleep and poisoning them in his opening turn so they all die a few turns later before I've even got any offence in. I don't want to give up entirely as that's 80+ hours down the drain but it's certainly on the back burner for the time being.


I still have Dragon Quest IX in its shrink wrapping. The grindy nature of these games is something that turns me off these days. I might give it a try at some point.

Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Gemini73 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:03 pm

TW3.

Every time I start playing I'm initially wowed by it all, but within the hour I find myself shutting the game down. Like Elite Dangerous, TW3 simply does not grab me for any real length of time. That initial wow factor soon gives way to bordom. Time to accept the fact that this much loved ARPG just isn't for me.

On the plus side the game was gifted to me so I'm not out of pocket.

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by IAmTheSaladMan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Squinty wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:I haven't quite given up on Dragon Warrior VII but I'm getting close, it's just becoming such a chore to play now. I'm about 80 hours in and I'd wager a good 15-20 hours of that was just grinding without actually getting anywhere. I'm currently stuck on a boss who fights really dirty by putting my party to sleep and poisoning them in his opening turn so they all die a few turns later before I've even got any offence in. I don't want to give up entirely as that's 80+ hours down the drain but it's certainly on the back burner for the time being.


I still have Dragon Quest IX in its shrink wrapping. The grindy nature of these games is something that turns me off these days. I might give it a try at some point.


The PS1 version Dragon Warrior VII is notoriously grind heavy. Not so much for raw levels but for the abilities you unlock by raising class levels. I think they sort of fixed this in the 3DS version with the Slime Forest allowing you to easily gain class levels. It was rattling along at a pretty nice pace too but the last few bosses have really slowed it down to a crawl.

Image
User avatar
_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by _/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Gave up on Psycho Pass Manditory update after 2 hours, got seriously bored with it.

Thought I'd then just play through for the trophies, so started again and gave up after 3.5 hours and that was with constant pressing the button to skip through text quickly.

Image
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Gemini73 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Deadlight.

Just fired it up again and was swiftly reminded why I gave up on it the first time around: The collapsing building section.

It's frankly impossible. Isn't helped by the game not having the most responsive of controls, whether using m/k or a control pad.

Uninstalled. Again. :lol:

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Lotus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:46 am

Burnout Revenge

I think 'given up' is overstating it slightly here, but I've stopped playing it earlier than I planned to. I reached the highest rank - Elite - but the events are just too tedious and samey now to be any fun. Plus the frustrations of the game have been magnified having played it for so long, to the point where I get really annoyed with it. As I said in the Currently Playing thread, the game is too long for its own good. Had fun for the first few hours, but there's not enough variety (or fun) to prevent it from becoming a slog.

Image
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Curls » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm

The fun was in the online play...unfortunately that's long ago died.

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:11 am

Disney Pixar's Up on PS3. Played a demo of this years ago and remembered enjoying it so I thought I'd give it a look and it was pretty decent. It plays quite similarly to a Lego game although it's very linear.

6/10

EDIT: Wrong thread... stupid beer!

Image
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Trelliz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Just Cause 3 - PS4 (PS+)

Runs awfully and manages to make blowing stuff up into a checklist chore. Real by-the-numbers stuff despite the improved mobility and i can't imagine the plot is worth sticking around for.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Squinty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I have had two of these recently.

Dark Souls 3 on PC because it runs terribly on my PC. Doesn't seem well optimised, which is a shame, as DS2 was really amazing in terms of optimisation. It ran fantastically well for me.

N++ because I felt like I was reaching my skill limit with it. Loved it, but the game was becoming pretty tough for me ( I made it to the last row of the solo content). I have a feeling I will be back to it.

Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Gemini73 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Horizon Zero Dawn

It's a great game to be sure and it looks stupendous, but the more I played the more I thought "I'm playing Far Cry Primal in 3rd person". Now I realise you can level game Y is much the same as game Y across many genres, but here the similarities were so strong in some areas, (and that I'm still playing Primal) that I just didn't feel compelled to continue.

Maybe go back to it another day, but for now HZD has gone to the bottom of the pile.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Trelliz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Forza Motorsport 5 - Xbox One

I've been trying to go back through this as i bought it ages ago and didn't give it much time, and while i'm close to finishing the core races in each series i really don't care anymore, especially compared to gt sport.

Its not the car or track count that's the problem; for me FM5 is where the rot set in, all caused by a simple and subtle change in how cars and races are set out. Before you'd have races which were open to various types of car, be them european, turbocharged, FR etc. From this onward each car is silo'd into its own subset with only the class championships opening the doors, meaning you have a lot less flexibility. Also the races themselves are meaningless: a series of 2-4 lap sprints with no connection to each other beyond their grouping as a series. There are no tense title-deciding races, no ebb and flow of seasons, only push for the top 3 to get gold and move on. Sure GT Sport doesn't have that either but it doesn't try to pretend thats what the single player is, but at least attempts to teach you racecraft and driving skill, something forza seems to lack.

At this point fm6 is bigger and better with pseudo-championships for each series so this is completely avoidable now the dlc has been mothballed and the rivals servers seem to be no more. Its taking up a lot of space on my xbone so time to clear out.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Gemini73 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Trelliz wrote:Forza Motorsport 5 - Xbox One
Also the races themselves are meaningless: a series of 2-4 lap sprints with no connection to each other beyond their grouping as a series. There are no tense title-deciding races, no ebb and flow of seasons, only push for the top 3 to get gold and move on. Sure GT Sport doesn't have that either but it doesn't try to pretend thats what the single player is, but at least attempts to teach you racecraft and driving skill, something forza seems to lack.



Pretty much the same reason I ditched FM7. It's just so boring to play.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Death's Head » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 am

Lords of the Fallen (PS4)

I do quite like this, even though it is obviously a Dark/Demon's Souls rip off. From the little I've played it does feel like there is more of a story than the games it tries to copy.

The voice acting of your character is not very good and there is plenty of screen tearing, but neither of these things were enough to stop me playing.

The problem is, like the games it copies, the difficulty. I'm up to the 3rd lord (in the graveyard) and it is too frustrating to continue. The lord itself is bad enough, but the minions it makes are the icing on a gooseberry fool cake. I've tried using the spell some have suggested that creates something for them to attack but they don't all go after it and it doesn't last long enough. The weapons I have are underpowered (you really need 1 hit kills on the minions to make this a fair battle and that doesn't happen) and I've spent several hours levelling up to use higher damage weapons, but these all take longer to weald and are therefore pointless.

The only way I can see me getting past this is spending significant hours going back and forth killing the low level enemies to level up with each new level taking longer due to the increase of experience required.

I would have liked to continue this game but it feels inaccessible and as a result, I'm not having fun.

Yes?
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Trelliz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:26 am

Gemini73 wrote:Pretty much the same reason I ditched FM7. It's just so boring to play.


FM6 is better in this regard, its a progression of 5 or 6-race championships increasing in power as you go, each with a range of vehicle classes you can use for them. As such you have to place highly in the overall series to progress rather than just each race on its own. I'm going back to the earlier forzas (1-4) but intend to give 6 more time in the future.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Squinty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:23 am

Assassin's Creed Unity. Xbox version ran like dogshit. The gameplay sucked and I was getting nothing from it. Such a shame as the era it is in is really interesting.

Soma. Gameplay was threadbare, and I didn't find the story compelling enough to continue with it. I have yet to play any of these types of games that I have actually liked.

Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The last game you gave up on and your reasons
by Gemini73 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Death's Head wrote:Lords of the Fallen (PS4)

I do quite like this, even though it is obviously a Dark/Demon's Souls rip off. From the little I've played it does feel like there is more of a story than the games it tries to copy.

The voice acting of your character is not very good and there is plenty of screen tearing, but neither of these things were enough to stop me playing.

The problem is, like the games it copies, the difficulty. I'm up to the 3rd lord (in the graveyard) and it is too frustrating to continue. The lord itself is bad enough, but the minions it makes are the icing on a gooseberry fool cake. I've tried using the spell some have suggested that creates something for them to attack but they don't all go after it and it doesn't last long enough. The weapons I have are underpowered (you really need 1 hit kills on the minions to make this a fair battle and that doesn't happen) and I've spent several hours levelling up to use higher damage weapons, but these all take longer to weald and are therefore pointless.

The only way I can see me getting past this is spending significant hours going back and forth killing the low level enemies to level up with each new level taking longer due to the increase of experience required.

I would have liked to continue this game but it feels inaccessible and as a result, I'm not having fun.


That's a shame, but I totally get where you're coming from.

As I say I like LotF, but like with all these types of games (Souls, Nioh etc) I prefer to play it in chunks as it's easier to digest. If I get stuck I just walk away and leave it for a few weeks. On returning I usually find I can get past the obstacle barring my progress and push on with the game.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chocolate-Milk, DarkRula, Garth, Nook29, Qikz, Years of Username Limbo, Yoshimi and 39 guests