The Literature Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
deathofcows
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by deathofcows » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 am

Recently finished The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.

Ordered the second straight afterwards. Really enjoyed this first chapter in the (recently completed?) sci-fi trilogy. Was humane, warm and interesting throughout with characters I genuinely cared about by the end. Not much actual drama but a lot of space opera character development for your buck and very, very readable. :D

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Errkal » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Am enjoying the Expanse books, am about half way through book 2.

Ive watched season 1 and 2 so it s a bit odd as I know the story but very enjoyable.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Rex Kramer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:30 am

Rex Kramer wrote:And Perdido Street Station is finished and what an utterly fabulous book it was. I can't recommend it highly enough if you like fantasy, steampunk or even sci-fi. Going to take a break from the series before picking up The Scar in the summer.

Picked up The Scar before going on holiday and it's even better than Perdido Street Station. I can't recommend this book enough, it's probably one of the best things I've ever read. The author has either toned down the over long descriptive text or what he's describing is so much more interesting. The story though is just incredible. I'm about 30% through and the connections to the first book are very slight, you could probably read this without the first though you'd miss some of the world building. The main location of the 2nd book would make the best RPG gameworld you have ever played, guaranteed.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:08 pm

deathofcows wrote:Recently finished The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.

Ordered the second straight afterwards. Really enjoyed this first chapter in the (recently completed?) sci-fi trilogy. Was humane, warm and interesting throughout with characters I genuinely cared about by the end. Not much actual drama but a lot of space opera character development for your buck and very, very readable. :D


Sounds interesting! Will have to give that a look.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Rex Kramer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 pm

80% into The Scar now and it's quite possible it could be the best thing I've ever read. Anyone else read it?

User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Poser » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am

On the strength of the number of adaptations now out there, I decided to start reading the Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan books in order.

The first is Hunt for Red October and I'm really struggling with it. Can anyone confirm whether later Jack Ryan books lighten up at all? It's like reading someone describe a game of chess, positioning pieces across the Atlantic.

I need to know whether to persevere or not.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Tafdolphin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am

Poser wrote:On the strength of the number of adaptations now out there, I decided to start reading the Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan books in order.

The first is Hunt for Red October and I'm really struggling with it. Can anyone confirm whether later Jack Ryan books lighten up at all? It's like reading someone describe a game of chess, positioning pieces across the Atlantic.

I need to know whether to persevere or not.


As far as I can remember, (it's been a while) HftRO is particularly full of military terms and tactics. It's like reading a strawberry floating Jane's manual sometimes. The later Ryan books get more intrigue and less technical I think.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Poser » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Poser wrote:On the strength of the number of adaptations now out there, I decided to start reading the Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan books in order.

The first is Hunt for Red October and I'm really struggling with it. Can anyone confirm whether later Jack Ryan books lighten up at all? It's like reading someone describe a game of chess, positioning pieces across the Atlantic.

I need to know whether to persevere or not.


As far as I can remember, (it's been a while) HftRO is particularly full of military terms and tactics. It's like reading a strawberry floating Jane's manual sometimes. The later Ryan books get more intrigue and less technical I think.


Great stuff, thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. Honestly, it's so intricate with the minutiae of both tactical movements and alsoi the technical aspects of operating a nuclear sub. I've found it really heavy going. In fact, I've stopped reading it and started watching films on my commute. :slol:

I'll finish it, though, and move on the the next ones.

Image
User avatar
TV Dinner
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by TV Dinner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm in the mood for some Lovecraftesque books. Has anyone got any good in-print recommendations?

Nothing by Lovecraft himself, I'm well covered there.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Rex Kramer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:17 pm

TV Dinner wrote:I'm in the mood for some gLovecraftesque books. Has anyone got any good in-print recommendations?

Nothing by Lovecraft himself, I'm well covered there.

Have a look at Perdido Street Station. It's not exactly Lovecraftian but its a very interesting mix of fantasy and horror.

BAKA
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by BAKA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:27 pm

There are a load of Witcher books on Amazon for 99p today.

User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by SugarDave » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Recently went through The Iliad and it might have been one of the most unintentionally funny books I've ever read. The catalyst for most of the story being Achilles throwing a paddy to his mother, the soap opera tier squabbles of the Greek pantheon of gods, Menolaus getting road rage in a chariot race, and everyone being described as having tears streaming down their face at the slightest obstacle they face, it's hilarious. :lol:

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Errkal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Reading a book called John Dies at the End, it’s very odd but very fun.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skarjo and 42 guests