Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Returns on 30th October. Season 2 trailer (p16)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+ US. Returns in October.
by Mafro » Tue May 19, 2020 10:24 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:FFS, the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series isn't on Disney Plus :cry:

There's more strawberry floating Clone Wars stuff?! Is this canon as well?

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Alvin Flummux » Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 pm

speedboatchase wrote:To some of the people I've seen online who are head over heels with this show, is it the show or just the fan service? Because strip away SW and the budget and this is Hercules/Xena Warrior Princess all over again - a fine but rudimentary Saturday morning hero show with zero stakes, cheesy lines and barely anything resembling an overarching arc.


The point is that it's Star Wars. Strip out the Star Wars and, well, what do you expect? Strip out the defining elements of any popular franchise and you'll find not much of anything underneath.

This isn't, nor was it ever, a series that can withstand the kind of forensic scrutiny some people are intent on subjecting it to.

Mafro wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:FFS, the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series isn't on Disney Plus :cry:

There's more strawberry floating Clone Wars stuff?! Is this canon as well?


No, it's not.

Some of the animation is amazing but I much prefer the later show.

Last edited by Alvin Flummux on Tue May 19, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
speedboatchase
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by speedboatchase » Tue May 19, 2020 10:39 pm

I feel that for the budget and talent that was behind this show, it was surprisingly unambitious. We've seen from the likes of KOTOR just how rich the universe can be and that's why I feel that for such an investment, this could have been a show that would stand on its own legs without fan service. Instead, it's Space MacGyver and evidently, they're doubling-down on the memberberries next season too.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Alvin Flummux » Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 pm

I've never played KOTOR (assuming you mean the Bioware originals), and without a remake to keep my eyes from bleeding, I doubt I ever will, but I will say that judging a Star Wars show based on its first season is folly - the Clone Wars and Rebels both had lacklustre first seasons as well, but when it's all over, it adds up to something very special.

I'm about to take in the Twilight of the Apprentice episodes that wrap up Rebels season 2, and I have a feeling I'm in for something wonderful - maybe you should check them out. The rest of the season was pretty great, so I have high hopes. I might not have guessed that, going on only the first season. (Edit - Oh my goodness :wub: )

These shows seem to be slow burners all.

And so what if next season features a couple of old friends returning? The shows do this routinely (oh god please bring Hondo back), as do the movies. Will you be criticizing the show for having people shoot pew pew laser guns next? ;)

Last edited by Alvin Flummux on Wed May 20, 2020 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Dual » Tue May 19, 2020 11:43 pm

I thought it was the best Star Wars thing since Rogue One.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+.
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am

Jenuall wrote:Except it doesn't. ;)

I genuinely cannot think of a show that I have watched which has so many problems with the moment to moment narrative as this one, where so many situations hinge on people doing stupid things or ignoring known facts or simply abandoning all logic and sense of reality in order to fabricate tension.

The whole conceit of "we're going to head into the meetup but not actually bring the baby" is just bullshit - half the strawberry floating series to date has been based around the fact that every man and his dog has a strawberry floating tracker on the baby, they aren't going to suddenly forget that and be duped by the "LOL teh baby is sleeping!" routine. :fp:

Then you have the nonsense with Kuiil's death, why the strawberry float does IG-11 not come out and help protect the baby (given that this is supposed to be his whole thing) when Kuill is under attack from the two troopers? He clearly felt compelled to come out and retrieve the baby after Kuill was dead so it wasn't that he didn't know what was happening or that he was confined to the ship or something. It's just another piece of bullshit logic to contrive a scenario that is meant to make us feel sad and the tension feel greater, except it doesn't work because it wouldn't have played out like that. The moment is not earned.

Then, after labouring the fact that the IG unit is entirely focussed on "protecting the baby" what does he do when he's reclaimed him, does he take the baby to safety? No - he strawberry floating speeds off into the middle of a squadron of troopers so we can have a whizz bang shooting fight. :fp:

You've got the insane logic of the "we'll give you until night fall" decision from Moff Gideon - what?! Why the strawberry float are you giving them any time at all? This makes zero sense - either strawberry floating kill them now or don't. The whole series has been full of these kinds of attempts at "tension raising" that just fall entirely flat because they are not backed up by internal logic/facts of the show.

Mando and crew were concerned about the numbers of troopers - "There were only supposed to be 4 of them" ... for about 5 minutes before they decide to charge out and take on scores of them following IG's charge of the nonsense brigade. Then you have Mando and crew just stood in the middle of a big open space taking pot shots at troopers all whilst nobody seems able to hit them back. :fp: It's amazingly even more stupid and unbelievable than the shoot out last time Mando was here.

Then they head back into the cantina, because hey why not! And the Moff's plan is to send a single flame trooper to get them? What? Why is that a threat - just strawberry floating kill him like you just killed loads of other troopers. :lol: At this point were also supposed to be feeling some extra tension because Mando is hurt, possibly dying... except no that doesn't work either because the Baby is there and you have just in this very episode established that he can strawberry floating force heal people! "Go on without me..." uh, no why don't we just get the kid to heal you? :lol: Still despite the fact that any one of them could have just shot the flame trooper really easily for some reason we have to be saved by baby Yoda doing some force gooseberry fool to the trooper. :roll: Oh and luckily IG-11 has been stocking up on his first aid sprays from playing Resident Evil so Mando is fine anyway within 5 seconds. strawberry floating hell. :fp: Also where the strawberry float do all the other troopers go at this point, for a cup of tea and a sit down? There are like whole minutes where they are sat in the cantina faffing around and literally anyone could have just walked in and killed them... but no for some reason all the other troopers have strawberry floated off at this point.

Then we go underground and find that loads of the Mando's have been slaughtered... but they said they were going to relocate - they even remind us of this in the "previously on" intro for the episode, so again a moment that is supposed to evoke "feels" is completely undercut because it makes no sense! And why is blacksmith Mando still around? "I need to finish melting all this armour" so, take it with you FFS! :fp:

I could go on - IG-11's pointless sacrifice (why didn't Mando just use his bombs?), Mando switching from "all droids are evil" to crying over the fact that IG is going to die pointlessly is just stupid, the jet pack battle where apparently "until you know it, it will not listen to your commands" translates to - it will work perfectly for you instantly. :fp: :lol:

Just layer upon layer of stuff that either doesn't work, doesn't make sense or is just plain bullshit!

Just read this and it's about as 'hit the nail on the head' as it gets. Although highly confusing that it comes from Jenuall :slol: ... ;)

It was impossible to care about any of the tension/drama when it was all created so nonsensically, as described above. Add that to the utterly cringeworthy script and acting in places... that strawberry floating crew from episode 6, I swear! :lol: :fp:

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+.
by Jenuall » Wed May 20, 2020 9:25 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Except it doesn't. ;)

I genuinely cannot think of a show that I have watched which has so many problems with the moment to moment narrative as this one, where so many situations hinge on people doing stupid things or ignoring known facts or simply abandoning all logic and sense of reality in order to fabricate tension.

The whole conceit of "we're going to head into the meetup but not actually bring the baby" is just bullshit - half the strawberry floating series to date has been based around the fact that every man and his dog has a strawberry floating tracker on the baby, they aren't going to suddenly forget that and be duped by the "LOL teh baby is sleeping!" routine. :fp:

Then you have the nonsense with Kuiil's death, why the strawberry float does IG-11 not come out and help protect the baby (given that this is supposed to be his whole thing) when Kuill is under attack from the two troopers? He clearly felt compelled to come out and retrieve the baby after Kuill was dead so it wasn't that he didn't know what was happening or that he was confined to the ship or something. It's just another piece of bullshit logic to contrive a scenario that is meant to make us feel sad and the tension feel greater, except it doesn't work because it wouldn't have played out like that. The moment is not earned.

Then, after labouring the fact that the IG unit is entirely focussed on "protecting the baby" what does he do when he's reclaimed him, does he take the baby to safety? No - he strawberry floating speeds off into the middle of a squadron of troopers so we can have a whizz bang shooting fight. :fp:

You've got the insane logic of the "we'll give you until night fall" decision from Moff Gideon - what?! Why the strawberry float are you giving them any time at all? This makes zero sense - either strawberry floating kill them now or don't. The whole series has been full of these kinds of attempts at "tension raising" that just fall entirely flat because they are not backed up by internal logic/facts of the show.

Mando and crew were concerned about the numbers of troopers - "There were only supposed to be 4 of them" ... for about 5 minutes before they decide to charge out and take on scores of them following IG's charge of the nonsense brigade. Then you have Mando and crew just stood in the middle of a big open space taking pot shots at troopers all whilst nobody seems able to hit them back. :fp: It's amazingly even more stupid and unbelievable than the shoot out last time Mando was here.

Then they head back into the cantina, because hey why not! And the Moff's plan is to send a single flame trooper to get them? What? Why is that a threat - just strawberry floating kill him like you just killed loads of other troopers. :lol: At this point were also supposed to be feeling some extra tension because Mando is hurt, possibly dying... except no that doesn't work either because the Baby is there and you have just in this very episode established that he can strawberry floating force heal people! "Go on without me..." uh, no why don't we just get the kid to heal you? :lol: Still despite the fact that any one of them could have just shot the flame trooper really easily for some reason we have to be saved by baby Yoda doing some force gooseberry fool to the trooper. :roll: Oh and luckily IG-11 has been stocking up on his first aid sprays from playing Resident Evil so Mando is fine anyway within 5 seconds. strawberry floating hell. :fp: Also where the strawberry float do all the other troopers go at this point, for a cup of tea and a sit down? There are like whole minutes where they are sat in the cantina faffing around and literally anyone could have just walked in and killed them... but no for some reason all the other troopers have strawberry floated off at this point.

Then we go underground and find that loads of the Mando's have been slaughtered... but they said they were going to relocate - they even remind us of this in the "previously on" intro for the episode, so again a moment that is supposed to evoke "feels" is completely undercut because it makes no sense! And why is blacksmith Mando still around? "I need to finish melting all this armour" so, take it with you FFS! :fp:

I could go on - IG-11's pointless sacrifice (why didn't Mando just use his bombs?), Mando switching from "all droids are evil" to crying over the fact that IG is going to die pointlessly is just stupid, the jet pack battle where apparently "until you know it, it will not listen to your commands" translates to - it will work perfectly for you instantly. :fp: :lol:

Just layer upon layer of stuff that either doesn't work, doesn't make sense or is just plain bullshit!

Just read this and it's about as 'hit the nail on the head' as it gets. Although highly confusing that it comes from Jenuall :slol: ... ;)

It was impossible to care about any of the tension/drama when it was all created so nonsensically, as described above. Add that to the utterly cringeworthy script and acting in places... that strawberry floating crew from episode 6, I swear! :lol: :fp:

:datass:

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+ US. Returns in October.
by OrangeRKN » Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 am

Mafro wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:FFS, the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series isn't on Disney Plus :cry:

There's more strawberry floating Clone Wars stuff?! Is this canon as well?


This was the original Clone Wars series, and the 3D animated show was based off it. They even talked about the 2D series as the "pilot" series as if they were the same thing.

Then they made it non-canon despite keeping the 3D show that directly succeeds it in canon, and despite other (still canon) things referencing it.

It's also easily the best Clone Wars content, it's basically all about ridiculously well animated fight scenes and very little dialogue (it's essentially Star Wars Samurai Jack, unsurprisingly).

The whole run time is only like 2 hours as well so it's easily watchable - if it were available :(

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Alvin Flummux » Wed May 20, 2020 11:36 am

Conversely, I didn't enjoy it at all. :shifty: The animation was good, but everything felt disconnected, I couldn't engage with the stories (such that they were), and the only part I found interesting was the origin of Grievous' cough.

To me, the Jedi are evil the later show is much better. I regret not getting into it sooner because the original feature everyone masturbates over put me off badly, and I thought the later show was more of the same boring stuff.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Robbo-92 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Just got round to using my free trial of Disney+ and first up is The Mandalorian :datass:

After this it’ll be Clone Wars and then Rebels which I’ve heard are both good, especially the latter part of series 7 of Clone Wars.

Edit, watched the first 4 episodes of The Mandalorian, fantastic so far.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Alvin Flummux » Mon May 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Are you gonna watch all of Clone Wars? Because there's the release order, which is out of order for whatever bullshit reason, and there's the "correct" viewing order, which means certain characters won't return from the dead inexplicably, and the order of events makes much more sense.

Rebels is much better than I had anticipated. It takes a few episodes reach its stride, but, ho boy, when it does.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Robbo-92 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 pm

I was planning on watching all of The Clone Wars, will have to decide if I watch it in the above linked order or air order then.

Just 2 episodes left of The Mandalorian, at this rate I’ll be giving this a second watch before anything else.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Joer » Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 pm

I started The Clone Wars last night watching the first episode and it already feels more like Star Wars than episode 9 did. Would you recommend watching it on the chronological order rather than release order then?

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Robbo-92 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:41 pm

Yeah I loved the last two episodes of The Mandalorian as well :wub:

Will probably be starting Clone Wars or Rebels tomorrow, most likely Clone Wars.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Alvin Flummux » Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Joer wrote:I started The Clone Wars last night watching the first episode and it already feels more like Star Wars than episode 9 did. Would you recommend watching it on the chronological order rather than release order then?


Chronological order feels better, and the overall stories of the clones and whatnot make much more sense.

After the first couple of seasons I believe the jumping about stops.

I'm almost at the end of Rebels' season 3 and it's just wonderful stuff. AP-5 is the best droid. :slol:

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by DarkRula » Tue May 26, 2020 12:48 pm

Yeah, once you get to the second half of season three with The Clone Wars, there's no jumping around the timeline - except for the first episode of season five not being in its right place at the beginning of the fourth arc.

Image
Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Mafro » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:16 pm


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Victor Mildew » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:19 pm

My torrent is ready

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Jenuall » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Will feel weird watching this legitimately when season 2 starts! :slol:

Image
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Finale out now on Disney+. Returns in October.
by Poser » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:28 pm

I did notice Disney has introduced a premium payment for some content. If they apply that to this I'm going to strawberry floating riot.

(Edit: I've just realised that's the live-action Mulan film and it's in lieu of a cinema release, so almost certainly won't apply here.)

Last edited by Poser on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, aayl1, Benzin, BTB, Christopher, Dowbocop, floydfreak, Google [Bot], Lagamorph, Lex-Man, Lime, Madness, Memento Mori, Saint of Killers, The Watching Artist and 120 guests