Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by DML » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:23 pm

a dan from grcade wrote:Why have the clubs voted in favour of this?


Because they will all go bust if they dont/want to drag Sunderlands down to their level. No brainer if uou are Accrington.

Image
User avatar
a dan from grcade
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by a dan from grcade » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:33 pm

DML wrote:
a dan from grcade wrote:Why have the clubs voted in favour of this?


Because they will all go bust if they dont/want to drag Sunderlands down to their level. No brainer if uou are Accrington.


So it's a... good thing?

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Peter Crisp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Do clubs get any leeway if they get relegated from the Championship and have loads of highly paid players or will they be forced into some kind of stupid firesale?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Ecno » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Do clubs get any leeway if they get relegated from the Championship and have loads of highly paid players or will they be forced into some kind of stupid firesale?


Might have the same rules as for the transition i.e. any player over £1,700 a week prior to the rules taking effect is counted as £1,700. Whole thing is a farce though. Real football gap is between the Championship and League one as opposed to PL/Championship.

If the PL allow it (maintain promotion/relegation) could see a break away Championship...

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by DML » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:40 pm

a dan from grcade wrote:
DML wrote:
a dan from grcade wrote:Why have the clubs voted in favour of this?


Because they will all go bust if they dont/want to drag Sunderlands down to their level. No brainer if uou are Accrington.


So it's a... good thing?


How is that a good thing? It means League One teams being promoted have no chance unless they gamble everything. You might as well have two divisions and be done with it.

Image
User avatar
PuppetBoy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by PuppetBoy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:32 pm


Image
User avatar
a dan from grcade
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by a dan from grcade » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 pm

DML wrote:
a dan from grcade wrote:
DML wrote:
a dan from grcade wrote:Why have the clubs voted in favour of this?


Because they will all go bust if they dont/want to drag Sunderlands down to their level. No brainer if uou are Accrington.


So it's a... good thing?


How is that a good thing? It means League One teams being promoted have no chance unless they gamble everything. You might as well have two divisions and be done with it.

But if the alternative is most of the other clubs in the league going bust...

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
Image
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Ecno » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:24 pm

Is this a permanent thing, or a COVID 19 thing? I can understand it if it's basically designed for next season, until crowds come back as the FL TV money is pitiful (though I'm sure the bigger clubs do well out of streaming).

The PFA are obviously (and correctly) not happy.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by DML » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:37 pm

a dan from grcade wrote:
DML wrote:
a dan from grcade wrote:
DML wrote:
a dan from grcade wrote:Why have the clubs voted in favour of this?


Because they will all go bust if they dont/want to drag Sunderlands down to their level. No brainer if uou are Accrington.


So it's a... good thing?


How is that a good thing? It means League One teams being promoted have no chance unless they gamble everything. You might as well have two divisions and be done with it.

But if the alternative is most of the other clubs in the league going bust...


They'll go bust anyway. You are going to lose 48 clubs long term instead of 10 short term. Its insane. It quite literally means having fans at your games is pointless. Only thing that matters now is your division. No point trying to invest in stadia and grow your club, all pointless.

I think this will ve overturned by the PFA and I hope Rick Parry is removed from his position and then fired into the sun. Its the only thing left to hope for. The Championship will become a closed shop if this stays.

We have to fight this tooth and nail because Im not prepared to see my team become semi professional. Clubs are seeing nearly ALL their out of contract players moving on, because Scotland, Europe and strawberry floating non league xan offer more. Salford would be in a better situation being in non league right now.

Last edited by DML on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by DML » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:38 pm

Ecno wrote:Is this a permanent thing, or a COVID 19 thing? I can understand it if it's basically designed for next season, until crowds come back as the FL TV money is pitiful (though I'm sure the bigger clubs do well out of streaming).

The PFA are obviously (and correctly) not happy.


Its permanant and came in with very little warning. The fact it even went to vote is ridiculous.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Drumstick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:38 am

Mini E wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Drummy, any idea on if you'll be letting Matt Clarke go permanently?

After a very shakey start, he turned into a bit of a rock and ended up winning player of the season. That's two years in a row a loanee defender has won it :fp:.

:cry: He won PoTS for his final two years at Pompey too. Three in a row. If Brighton do let him go, it's a huge ball-drop on their part. Bloke's a future England international.

The latest on the Mean Streets of GreenwichBrighton is that Clarke is going to stay with Derby for another season on loan. :D

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Peter Crisp » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:33 am

My hopes for Luton Town this year is for a solid mid table finish maybe pushing for top half and being safe from relegation with 5 games left.

I don't think the team has the finances available to survive in the Premier League and would likely either have to spend themselves into bankruptcy again in a desperate bid to stay up or more likely spend bugger all on players and have an absolute disaster season and get instantly relegated again.

Championship survival is the best we can hope for at the moment until the new stadium is built and we've had a few seasons of the extra income.

I'd be very happy if we finish 12.
Maybe have a decent cup run and get to the FA cup semi finals.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:02 pm

Drumstick wrote:
Mini E wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Drummy, any idea on if you'll be letting Matt Clarke go permanently?

After a very shakey start, he turned into a bit of a rock and ended up winning player of the season. That's two years in a row a loanee defender has won it :fp:.

:cry: He won PoTS for his final two years at Pompey too. Three in a row. If Brighton do let him go, it's a huge ball-drop on their part. Bloke's a future England international.

The latest on the Mean Streets of GreenwichBrighton is that Clarke is going to stay with Derby for another season on loan. :D

Very much liking the sound of that!

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Drumstick » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:18 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Drumstick wrote:
Mini E wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Drummy, any idea on if you'll be letting Matt Clarke go permanently?

After a very shakey start, he turned into a bit of a rock and ended up winning player of the season. That's two years in a row a loanee defender has won it :fp:.

:cry: He won PoTS for his final two years at Pompey too. Three in a row. If Brighton do let him go, it's a huge ball-drop on their part. Bloke's a future England international.

The latest on the Mean Streets of GreenwichBrighton is that Clarke is going to stay with Derby for another season on loan. :D

Very much liking the sound of that!

Now confirmed: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/n ... rby-return

Hopefully this will aid a promotion run...

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Drumstick wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Drumstick wrote:
Mini E wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Drummy, any idea on if you'll be letting Matt Clarke go permanently?

After a very shakey start, he turned into a bit of a rock and ended up winning player of the season. That's two years in a row a loanee defender has won it :fp:.

:cry: He won PoTS for his final two years at Pompey too. Three in a row. If Brighton do let him go, it's a huge ball-drop on their part. Bloke's a future England international.

The latest on the Mean Streets of GreenwichBrighton is that Clarke is going to stay with Derby for another season on loan. :D

Very much liking the sound of that!

Now confirmed: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/n ... rby-return

Hopefully this will aid a promotion run...

Cracking! A huge boost, for sure.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Tomous » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 am

Jamal Lowe signed.

With Guehi and Woodward back and Mogan-Gibbs on loan, we're actually having a decent transfer window.

Just need to replace Brewster and hold onto Ayew and I think we'll be in the playoff mix again.

Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by DML » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:10 am

Tomous wrote:Jamal Lowe signed.

With Guehi and Woodward back and Mogan-Gibbs on loan, we're actually having a decent transfer window.

Just need to replace Brewster and hold onto Ayew and I think we'll be in the playoff mix again.


Every single penny of that Jamal Lowe money is going to Portsmouth interestingly.

Image
User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by BTB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:34 am

Tomous wrote:Jamal Lowe signed.

With Guehi and Woodward back and Mogan-Gibbs on loan, we're actually having a decent transfer window.

Just need to replace Brewster and hold onto Ayew and I think we'll be in the playoff mix again.


This part will make or break our season, if we don't replace him i'm not too sure where the goals will come from. Ayew is great but he isn't an out and out goalscorer in our team.

I don't see Brewster coming back sadly, and I haven't heard us linked with too many alternatives which is a bit of a worry, but Cooper does seem to have good connections across the loan market.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Drumstick » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:46 am

Can you not secure Brewster on loan again, this time perhaps with an option to make the transfer permanent?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Football League Thread - GOING UP IS FOR LOSERS ANYWAY :'(
by Tomous » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:06 pm

Drumstick wrote:Can you not secure Brewster on loan again, this time perhaps with an option to make the transfer permanent?



No chance of an option to make the transfer permanent, Liverpool are currently weighing up whether he's ready for the first team squad. If they decide no, he'll likely go to a PL club on loan I think.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Denster, Heskimo, massimo, Peter Crisp, Return_of_the_STAR and 231 guests