The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Tafdolphin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:04 am

I can´t believe people are actually watching this through more than once: the ending made me so utterly irate that I´d wasted 5 years of my viewing life on what turned out to be a load of utter garbage you couldn´t pay me to watch that bilge again.

strawberry floating Lindeloff.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by smurphy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:11 am

Tafdolphin wrote:I can´t believe people are actually watching this through more than once: the ending made me so utterly irate that I´d wasted 5 years of my viewing life on what turned out to be a load of utter garbage you couldn´t pay me to watch that bilge again.

strawberry floating Lindeloff.


So this. I remember mid-S4 thinking "Wow, I can't wait to watch this back knowing what all these mysteries actually are!". I had my doubts as the show went on, but was still excited. Then the end happened and I was like "Well that was a waste of all those years". strawberry floating gooseberry fool show. It's easy to come up with cool mysterious gooseberry fool when you don't have to account for any of it.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Tafdolphin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:18 am

I remember watching The Constant and thinking it was some of the most melodramatic bullshit I´d ever seen. I actually can´t believe people hold that gooseberry fool up as some sort of televisual gold standard.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Crimson
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Crimson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:31 am

I was going to concede you had at least some point there Taf but...The Constant as melodramatic bullshit? :lol:

The end of that episode is one of the best scenes in the entire series. How dare two lovers who have been separated for years get a bit emotional upon finally making contact again.

And I don't get why anyone would consider the show a waste of their time if they enjoyed watching it in the first place, if even only certain parts of it. How does some shitty episodes in a temple in Season 6 invalid the amazing launching of the raft in Season 1?

The show for me, was never about answers, it was the journey these characters undertook. If anything, they showed and answered too much, see Season 5. I don't really know what type of answers people were looking for either; it's science fiction, there is no answer that isn't some made up nonsense.

I'm not saying it didn't lose something in the later years (it definitely did) but it rarely faltered over its run as purely character driven show. In that sense, the way it ended was wholly satisfying.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Tafdolphin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:41 am

You know what, I´d put more effort into defending my Constant views than those that concern the show entire. It´s a strawberry floating terrible episode that emotionally manipulates the viewer by appealing the lowest common denominators. There´s the soaring soundtrack, the tearful reunion, the overwrought acting...everything is entirely by the book, soulless and utterly uninspiring.

Rubbish.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:15 am

Get out of the Lost thread you total bastards! :x

It'll be at least another year or two until I start the whole thing again, but I definitely will. :wub:

Image
User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by satriales » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 am

The Crimson Clown wrote:The show for me, was never about answers, it was the journey these characters undertook. If anything, they showed and answered too much, see Season 5. I don't really know what type of answers people were looking for either; it's science fiction, there is no answer that isn't some made up nonsense.

Those of us that were more into the mysteries than the characters got dragged along to the end after being told that all of the answers will be grounded in realism and that there is a logical explanation for everything that happens on the island. In the end we were lied to and the actual answers involved gods, and dead people coming back as smoke monsters.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Tomous » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:02 am

A lot of the questions were answered in some shape or form. It was the black smoke and the Jacob mysteries that weren't addressed in any kind of decent way at all. And it was those 2 things that would have held everything together and have made it work, if they'd got it right. Very frustrating. While you expect them to be making up a lot as they go along you'd have hoped they knew the mysteries central to the plot from the beginning.

As has been said before though, they probably expected one season, and the answer was going to be they were in purgatory which they had to change once everyone began guessing it.

Image
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Skippy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Tomous wrote:As has been said before though, they probably expected one season, and the answer was going to be they were in purgatory which they had to change once everyone began guessing it.


After re-watching it I'm certain that's what happened.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Victor Mildew » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tomous wrote:As has been said before though, they probably expected one season, and the answer was going to be they were in purgatory which they had to change once everyone began guessing it.


After re-watching it I'm certain that's what happened.


I think they've admitted as much. Watch the making of the pilot episodes and the cast didn't even know if there would be a series.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Crimson
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Crimson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Gizmo wrote:
The Crimson Clown wrote:The show for me, was never about answers, it was the journey these characters undertook. If anything, they showed and answered too much, see Season 5. I don't really know what type of answers people were looking for either; it's science fiction, there is no answer that isn't some made up nonsense.

Those of us that were more into the mysteries than the characters got dragged along to the end after being told that all of the answers will be grounded in realism and that there is a logical explanation for everything that happens on the island. In the end we were lied to and the actual answers involved gods, and dead people coming back as smoke monsters.


Yeah I get that, I guess I had just already just assumed the worst and gotten over the mystery element, especially when they jumped the shark with full on time travel nonsense. I get that some people wouldn't be able to, depended on what aspect of the show most interested you I suppose. And it was all supposed to be grounded in reality, although I didn't actually know that the first time watching, I kept pretty much in the dark regarding any chatter from the creators so I never felt betrayed when it ended up so ridiculous.

Advent7 wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Tomous wrote:As has been said before though, they probably expected one season, and the answer was going to be they were in purgatory which they had to change once everyone began guessing it.


After re-watching it I'm certain that's what happened.


I think they've admitted as much. Watch the making of the pilot episodes and the cast didn't even know if there would be a series.


Yeah, the outline for the entire show came together rapidly, in the space of a couple of weeks. There was no long time plan from the beginning at all. The monster stuff was thrown in there purely as a hook to increase the chances of them getting picked up full time.

I'd recommend anyone who wants a good write up of how to show came to be and a general analysis of it (and many other shows of the last decade like The Wire, BSG, 24) to pick up Alan Sepinwall's new book. I've been reading over the Xmas and it's so good if you're really into TV drama.

Last edited by Crimson on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Fuzzy Dunlop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I can´t believe people are actually watching this through more than once


I know, it's shocking to think people have a different opinion to you. We understand you don't like the show, your outlook on a lot of things is pretty miserable, but I think it may be best if you leave this thread for people who actually enjoy the show.

Do you often contemplate the complexity of life?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Tafdolphin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:I can´t believe people are actually watching this through more than once


I know, it's shocking to think people have a different opinion to you. We understand you don't like the show, your outlook on a lot of things is pretty miserable, but I think it may be best if you leave this thread for people who actually enjoy the show.


Don't tell me what I can't do!

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Fuzzy Dunlop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 pm

:lol:

Touche

Do you often contemplate the complexity of life?
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by captain red dog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:23 am

Thinking back, the creators really did lie a heck of a lot right from season 1. I remember them stating how all the puzzles led to a genuine answer and that all would be explained, but by the end it was all revealed to be pretty much just smoke and mirrors to keep people interested.

That said I absolutely loved the mystery of it all whilst the series was going. It would drive me and the Mrs mad coming up with theories about what was going on. At the end of season 1 when they came across the hatch, that was probably one of the most iconic moments I can think of in a TV series. It is just such a shame it never really ended with a satisfying conclusion (which is the problem with a lot of series).

Still, no matter how bad the conclusion of it all was, it doesn't get anywhere near as bad as the conclusion to Quantum Leap which was just rage inducing. :evil:

Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Skippy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:38 am

captain red dog wrote:Thinking back, the creators really did lie a heck of a lot right from season 1. I remember them stating how all the puzzles led to a genuine answer and that all would be explained, but by the end it was all revealed to be pretty much just smoke and mirrors to keep people interested.


Literally smoke and mirrors too!

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Tafdolphin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 am

captain red dog wrote:Thinking back, the creators really did lie a heck of a lot right from season 1. I remember them stating how all the puzzles led to a genuine answer and that all would be explained, but by the end it was all revealed to be pretty much just smoke and mirrors to keep people interested.


I remember when they were assuring people that there would absolutely not be any time travel and that all the mysteries would be solved using real world science. Cue an entire season set 60 years in the past, immortal god beings and, of course, the smoke monster.

Interesting that the ending has been compared to Quantum Leap's...although that show's ending was indeed awful, there was at least a reason for that: by the time the last episode was being filmed the show was in production limbo with the writers unsure as to whether they were getting another season. They wrote the last episode as a half measure, an episode that would leave the show open for another season while also being a conclusion (of sorts). Obviously the closing text was added when they knew they weren't being picked up again.

Lost had no such excuse, in fact the writers there were in the opposite position: they knew several years in advance when the show would end, and still all they could come up with was some shitey Christian allegory for the afterlife.

Rubbish.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by mic » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:22 pm

I wouldn't have minded if the answers were outlandish scifi, or even pure fantasy and I'm fairly satisfied with the answers that we got. I'm even happy with the island's conclusion - Jacks's & MiB's deaths, other losties flying away, cave of wonders saved and destruction of everything averted.

What I don't like is the fact that fully HALF of the final season was wasted answering a question NOBODY ASKED OR WANTED ANSWERED, namely - what happened to them all when they died? How is the answer to that question in any way relevant to the previous five seasons? When season six first started, I assumed it was some sort of parallel dimension created by the nuke and that Des would somehow bridge the two realities.

What? They're all DEAD ALREADY? Well... so what? What does that do for the story I've been avidly following? If I want crap about the afterlife, I'll watch Supernatural, or Charmed, thanks.

So, great show, but a HUGELY disappointing ending...

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Victor Mildew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 am


Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Lost Thread-(The End from pg. 197)
by Joer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 am

So... i've just finished this now. Not sure what to make of that ending yet. Initial thoughts are I have no idea what the strawberry float Lost was about. Going to read through from the start of S06 in here and see if it makes any more sense after that.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, BTB, Christopher, D_C, Frank, Godzilla, Lex-Man, Met, Neo Cortex, Peter Crisp, Qikz, Rawrgna, Snowcannon, Tafdolphin, The Watching Artist, Wedgie, Zilnad and 206 guests