The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (early 2020)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Tafdolphin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:18 pm

KjGarly wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Good guide to .ini tweaking here

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/1 ... ds-better/

My UI is now gloriously free from clutter and the weird, blurry DoF effect has gone. Unfortunately, for some reason the dialogue options now display from the very beginning of conversations meaning they often spoil what is being said. Which is annoying. It's also flicked some setting so headwear doesn't appear on companions which is good (I couldn't figure out how to remove head armour from them before) and bad (Parvati with goggles was bae)


Pretty sure the dialog setting includes one that displays choices at the start of a convo so just check the settings in game and switch it back to the way it was.


Yeah I found the setting in the .ini and changed it to false.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Somebody Else's Problem » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:18 pm

TV Dinner wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
TV Dinner wrote:Making Adelaide mayoris probably the best choice but she's not a great person either what with the borderline cannibal thing.

Yeah she seems to express very unsatisfactory responses when pressed on that matter as well!


I avoided finding out about the cannibalism, so that's a thing. Even not knowing that I did try to kill Adelaide after diverting power there, because I was not impressed with her saying she wouldn't take everyone in, but shooting her immediately made the whole place hostile so I had to reload and not do that :(

Now I can stealth better I might try going back and setting things right...


She can only grow the food by using ground-up marauder corpses as fertiliser. When they run out of marauders she plans to use the town graveyard.


I genuinely don't see an issue with that? Circle of life etc.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
TV Dinner wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
TV Dinner wrote:Making Adelaide mayoris probably the best choice but she's not a great person either what with the borderline cannibal thing.

Yeah she seems to express very unsatisfactory responses when pressed on that matter as well!


I avoided finding out about the cannibalism, so that's a thing. Even not knowing that I did try to kill Adelaide after diverting power there, because I was not impressed with her saying she wouldn't take everyone in, but shooting her immediately made the whole place hostile so I had to reload and not do that :(

Now I can stealth better I might try going back and setting things right...


She can only grow the food by using ground-up marauder corpses as fertiliser. When they run out of marauders she plans to use the town graveyard.


I genuinely don't see an issue with that? Circle of life etc.

Those corpses are Spacers Choice assets! Can't have people going around stealing them willy nilly! :capnscotty:

It's certainly not the worst thing, but is a bit dubious. Still sided with her over the town myself but given the choice I might have screwed both of them over! :nod:

Image
User avatar
Manwell Pablo
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Manwell Pablo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Chocolate-Milk wrote:I had a bit of a walk round the first town and did the debt collection quest.

Christ, it's bleak. Everything about their society is so depressingly believable... :dread:

Kinda spoilers for the main quest in that opening area so don't read if you haven't got through it yet:

That's what made me decide to back the Deserters over the town - everyone was basically so indoctrinated with the Spacers Choice bullshit that they needed the shock of having everything pulled away beneath them to give them a chance of real freedom.

Even though on the surface I strawberry floated them over I still think it was the right thing to do... probably!


Hmm probably not, I don't know if you got the option to get a similar outcome after diverting power the deserters but if you re-supply the town there's an outcome in which you can get the guy running edge water to leave, have the deserters to return to the town, cure the plague, start farming food, everyone's back together and living conditions are much improved. Definitely the optimum ending I would of thought, but like I say, maybe something similar was possible after re-routing to the deserters.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:00 pm

Manwell Pablo wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Chocolate-Milk wrote:I had a bit of a walk round the first town and did the debt collection quest.

Christ, it's bleak. Everything about their society is so depressingly believable... :dread:

Kinda spoilers for the main quest in that opening area so don't read if you haven't got through it yet:

That's what made me decide to back the Deserters over the town - everyone was basically so indoctrinated with the Spacers Choice bullshit that they needed the shock of having everything pulled away beneath them to give them a chance of real freedom.

Even though on the surface I strawberry floated them over I still think it was the right thing to do... probably!


Hmm probably not, I don't know if you got the option to get a similar outcome after diverting power the deserters but if you re-supply the town there's an outcome in which you can get the guy running edge water to leave, have the deserters to return to the town, cure the plague, start farming food, everyone's back together and living conditions are much improved. Definitely the optimum ending I would of thought, but like I say, maybe something similar was possible after re-routing to the deserters.

Oh yeah, not saying it was the optimum ending! :lol:

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by OrangeRKN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:11 pm

Manwell Pablo wrote:
Hmm probably not, I don't know if you got the option to get a similar outcome after diverting power the deserters but if you re-supply the town there's an outcome in which you can get the guy running edge water to leave, have the deserters to return to the town, cure the plague, start farming food, everyone's back together and living conditions are much improved. Definitely the optimum ending I would of thought, but like I say, maybe something similar was possible after re-routing to the deserters.


Still under control of Spacer's Choice though?


If I have to sacrifice lives to liberate the system from corporate control, then that is what I will do :capnscotty:

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Now those corpses can lie there, safe in the knowledge that they snuffed it for peace, and can now happily decompose in a land of freedom.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by OrangeRKN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:33 pm

A sacrifice they would surely have been willing to make, were it not for their brainwashed upbringing

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:35 pm

o7

I did have a fair few chuckles at just how brainwashed the folks of Edgewater were. Their attitudes to work, sickness and acceptance that they are basically just the property of their employers was like watching the inevitable conclusion of where the Bradford Factor will lead us all! :lol: :dread:

Image
User avatar
Manwell Pablo
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Manwell Pablo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:28 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Manwell Pablo wrote:
Hmm probably not, I don't know if you got the option to get a similar outcome after diverting power the deserters but if you re-supply the town there's an outcome in which you can get the guy running edge water to leave, have the deserters to return to the town, cure the plague, start farming food, everyone's back together and living conditions are much improved. Definitely the optimum ending I would of thought, but like I say, maybe something similar was possible after re-routing to the deserters.


Still under control of Spacer's Choice though?


If I have to sacrifice lives to liberate the system from corporate control, then that is what I will do :capnscotty:


Unsure tbh.

The head of the deserters takes full control, whether she works for Spacers choice is left a little unclear. Maybe I should go back and see what's occurring, not been back since fixing the ship


But anyway, I think it's indicative that there are ways, without being wanton anit corporation at every single turn and actually thinking of the best way to manipulate the situation, to get the better outcomes.

It's a very cleaver, very open game. (needless to say I am no longer bored)

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Tafdolphin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 pm

So, I think I've hit on why this isn't doing it for me 100%. It's because I came to it off the back of Disco Elysium.

Although both games are narrative RPGs that advertised themselves on their narrative and storytelling abilities, DE is a game that, in many ways seeks to upset the idea of such games. When you barge into someone's apartment and start talking to them they tell you to get the strawberry float out. When you spend all the time running from place to place your partner comments on it. When you use a [persuade] option you have a chance of failing, and if you do the conversation acknowledges this and branches accordingly.

The Outer Worlds on the other hand is far more limited in its player agency. People all but throw quests at you, talking to the PC like they're the protagonist in a video game rather than a space captain. Characters you met 10 minutes ago will, if you choose the correct options, trust you with their life. Then there's the cause and effect gameplay which, although often effective, sometimes completely breaks down. Like, I completed a quest where I asked someone on a date for someone else. I walk out of the conversation with that person to immediately hear two NPCs discussing that person bringing home said date 'last night'. It just screamed 'video game cause and effect' and completely shook me out of the world (so much so I minimised the game and came here to write this). I mean, it wouldn't even be that hard to set a delay on the chance of that dialogue occurring.

I'm still enjoying it, but I think DE has set my standards impossibly high.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Somebody Else's Problem » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:07 pm

I just like hearing my companions chat with each other.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Tafdolphin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Felix's dropkick has still not stopped being hilarious and his first question upon meeting a new crewmate was 'What's the ugliest thing you ever killed?' So yeah, compared to most games it's still strawberry floating great.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by OrangeRKN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Like, I completed a quest where I asked someone on a date for someone else. I walk out of the conversation with that person to immediately hear two NPCs discussing that person bringing home said date 'last night'. It just screamed 'video game cause and effect' and completely shook me out of the world (so much so I minimised the game and came here to write this). I mean, it wouldn't even be that hard to set a delay on the chance of that dialogue occurring.


Not delaying dialogue after triggers like this is my number one immersion breaking complaint in games like this in general. I have noticed it being a thing in Outer Worlds.

I think I have something of a sixth sense for it at this point and deliberately space apart quest objectives where it feels likely to happen to avoid the immersion break. Shout out to Skyrim for not even letting me do this by having a courier run up to me and deliver me letters!

On the subject of annoying immersion breaks - wanting to swap out companions means returning to the ship. Returning to the ship automatically puts you back into space. Then I immediately land back on the planet I just took off from, and leave with different companions.... pls

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Tafdolphin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:On the subject of annoying immersion breaks - wanting to swap out companions means returning to the ship. Returning to the ship automatically puts you back into space. Then I immediately land back on the planet I just took off from, and leave with different companions.... pls


Yeah, this is a really bizarre decision. I mean, it gives you some lovely skyboxes to look at from the cockpit/Captain's Quarters but also gives the impression the Unreliable isn't able to stay in one place for more than 5 minutes.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Zellery
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Zellery » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Finished Edgewater, Roseway and the Groundbreaker so far and I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it.

As others have said, I think the combat is the weakest part about the game but I have started having more fun now that I'm using time dilation more and companion abilities.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Cuttooth » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:When you use a [persuade] option you have a chance of failing

This is maybe one of the more frustrating aspects of how I'm playing this game with a speech focused character - the skill options that never result in a negative outcome make it a little bit boring. It'd be great if it opened up a new branch sometimes that offered you a positive/negative choice you'd need to read into to make a decision. I get though that requires more time, more resource to accomplish so it might be a bit of a harsh criticism.

Might jump onto Disco Elysium now though.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:41 am

Someone beat the game without using glitches in around 30 minutes.

Spoilers obviously.


Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by Saint of Killers » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 am

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:I just like hearing my companions chat with each other.


Dragon Age Inquisition was great for this.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
fry87
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC, Game Pass (out now!), Switch (later) - Reviews are in!
by fry87 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:45 am

Zellery wrote:Finished Edgewater, Roseway and the Groundbreaker so far and I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it.

As others have said, I think the combat is the weakest part about the game but I have started having more fun now that I'm using time dilation more and companion abilities.

I'm at a similar point, although I've only done some of Roseway. It's a very good game and I am enjoying it. There are some interesting characters and it has some funny dialogue. Very much a solid 8/10 at the moment for me but I'm hoping there are some surprises that could make it even better.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deathofcows, ITSMILNER, MSN [Bot], OldSoulCyborg, TonyDA, Wedgie and 37 guests