The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Vermilion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

False wrote:Pancasila


Sounds like a rather nasty STD.

User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Jam-Master Jay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Your top ideologies are:
Classical Marxism 75%
Guild socialism 75%
Social democracy 92%
Third Way 88%
Marxist feminism 75%

Your worst ideologies are:
Anarcho-primitivism -50%
Paleolibertarianism -42%

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 pm

There's a lot of Classical Marxism going on in here.

When are we starting the GRcade political party?

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Karl_ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 pm

It's interesting, for sure! Ask people "are you a Marxist?" and they might not think so, yet they might really agree with a lot of the principles.

I think society is cracking and people are finding their radical voices. Everyone wants to change society now, no-one is saying "the system is working pretty well".

I'm biased, but if you're left-leaning to start with then I think that itch for genuine change will inevitably lead you to Marx and The Communist Manifesto. (A good second book is "the anarcho-communist manifesto" The Conquest of Bread).

User avatar
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by False » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 pm

but communism doesn’t work bro

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 pm

Karl_ wrote:It's interesting, for sure! Ask people "are you a Marxist?" and they might not think so, yet they might really agree with a lot of the principles.

I think society is cracking and people are finding their radical voices. Everyone wants to change society now, no-one is saying "the system is working pretty well".

I'm biased, but if you're left-leaning to start with then I think that itch for genuine change will inevitably lead you to Marx and The Communist Manifesto. (A good second book is "the anarcho-communist manifesto" The Conquest of Bread).


I got 75% Marxist-Feminist(my top ideology) despite answering the question about communism with an emphatic no. Thing is, I know I agree with a lot of Marxist ideas in principle, whilst also being able to quote multiple examples of times when those ideas were put into place somewhere and failed for whatever reason.

My partner is a free market economist all the way. :lol:

Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by jawafour » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 am

Your top ideologies are:

Liberal socialism 57%
Social democracy 67%
Third Way 88%

Your worst ideologies are:

Mutualism -75%
National-anarchism -75%
Odalism -67%


Not too sure what this means, tbh. It perhaps indicates that my answers were pretty "social", maybe?

User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Karl_ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:18 am

False wrote:but communism doesn’t work bro

o gooseberry fool ive been owned

I didn't get back to you earlier, but I wanted to say I do sympathise with your gf fwiw. Coming from an eastern bloc dictatorship would make anyone suspicious of anything called "communism".

Both classical Marxism and anarchism (incl. anarcho-communism) are all about direct democracy and individual / local rights and abolishing the nation-state, for what it's worth. At least ideologically they couldn't be further from dictatorship. I would completely understand if her reaction to that was "lol strawberry float off" though!

Corazon de Leon wrote:Thing is, I know I agree with a lot of Marxist ideas in principle, whilst also being able to quote multiple examples of times when those ideas were put into place somewhere and failed for whatever reason.

I'm never going to be able to trump you in a history argument, so I eagerly and openly concede all those points in advance. (EDIT: To clarify I didn't mean that in a snarky way! Just going to avoid a debate I'd be at such a huge disadvantage in...)

But for what it's worth I disagree with the premise. Even if genuinely Marxist ideas had been tried and fallen through of their own accord, I would advocate for tweaking them and trying again, because the only alternative I see is accepting living a life of misery in a fascist hell while billionaire late-capitalists destroy our only planet.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by jawafour » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 am

jawafour wrote:...Not too sure what this means, tbh. It perhaps indicates that my answers were pretty "social", maybe?

Done some checks. 88% Third Way? Oh yeah, I'm right in the middle on that fence 8-) . Test accuracy confirmed.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Rightey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 am

Karl_ wrote:Both classical Marxism and anarchism (incl. anarcho-communism) are all about direct democracy and individual / local rights


:lol: Yeah let's just ignore the whole "dictatorship of the proletariat" part where we murder everyone who disagrees with us. It's really all about direct democracy :roll:

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: Umbral Plains

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Preezy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:11 am

I think in theory the far-left ideologies are fine and dandy, but in reality they can't work because they depend on humans not being murderous, greedy, selfish, power-hungry arseholes, and that just isn't something that were capable of as a species on a macro level. History has shown time and again that it takes just one psychopath to seize power and you've then got decades of brutal tyranny all under the marxist/communist banner.

That's how this layman sees it, anyway. I'm sure it's far more nuanced and complicated than that.

Image
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Rightey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 am

The reason the far-left ideologies have failed literally every single time is because they have a fundamentally bad design, it's not just some terrible coincidence.

Communism by the book is:
1) Dehumanize large parts of the population (land and business owners, political rivals, farmers, anyone associated with religion etc.).

2) Steal the assets of the people you've dehumanized (it's ok they're just parasites and evil!)

3) Murder the people whose assets you've stolen (again this is justified because they were just trying to keep you down).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that having theft and murder as among your core principals is going to attract thieves and murderers into your ranks, and is going to lead to a shitty government.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Knoyleo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 am

Rightey, please actually read the Communist manifesto.

User avatar
Banjo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nobody cares

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Banjo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:14 am

Rightey wrote:The reason the far-left ideologies have failed literally every single time is because they have a fundamentally bad design, it's not just some terrible coincidence.

Communism by the book is:
1) Dehumanize large parts of the population (land and business owners, political rivals, farmers, anyone associated with religion etc.).

2) Steal the assets of the people you've dehumanized (it's ok they're just parasites and evil!)

3) Murder the people whose assets you've stolen (again this is justified because they were just trying to keep you down).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that having theft and murder as among your core principals is going to attract thieves and murderers into your ranks, and is going to lead to a shitty government.


I mean, sure that's a take. I'm fairly certain the Communist Manifesto doesn't have theft and murder as core principals.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Rightey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:24 am

I've got news for you, when Marx says "seize the means of production" he's not saying you should ask nicely. Also see my point earlier about the dictatorship of the proletariat AKA when everyone who disagrees with communism gets murdered, and also when most of the original communists also get murdered.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Knoyleo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 am

Rightey, do you think the current capitalist system in the UK/US/Canada, does not require violence?

User avatar
Banjo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nobody cares

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Banjo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 am

Rightey wrote:I've got news for you, when Marx says "seize the means of production" he's not saying you should ask nicely. Also see my point earlier about the dictatorship of the proletariat AKA when everyone who disagrees with communism gets murdered, and also when most of the original communists also get murdered.

Ah okay, I understand. So it's not in the book then.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Rightey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 am

Our current system absolutely does not require violence, we're lucky enough to live at a time and in a place where we can make huge changes through the use of grass roots activism, and reaching out to the masses for the price of a smart phone.

Do you think we need violence?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Knoyleo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:42 am

Rightey wrote:Our current system absolutely does not require violence, we're lucky enough to live at a time and in a place where we can make huge changes through the use of grass roots activism, and reaching out to the masses for the price of a smart phone.

Do you think we need violence?

L

M

A

O

How is private property protected? Do the police ask nicely for it to be returned? How are borders controlled?

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Political Sextant: it's like the political compass but a bit nerdier I guess
by Rightey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 am

Knoyleo wrote:
Rightey wrote:Our current system absolutely does not require violence, we're lucky enough to live at a time and in a place where we can make huge changes through the use of grass roots activism, and reaching out to the masses for the price of a smart phone.

Do you think we need violence?


How is private property protected? Do the police ask nicely for it to be returned? How are borders controlled?


So is that a yes regarding your opinion on violence?

Yeah, if you try and steal someones stuff there is a chance they will get violent with you. Clearly our society is a terrible cesspit of evil right? Just imagine people defending their property! :dread:

Regarding borders, again the risk of violence if very easily avoided if you don't do something illegal like trying to hop them. You seem to be implying borders are a bad thing, which I totally disagree with as well.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image

Return to “Stuff”