The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Harvey Nichols is where I go if I need a fancy department store.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Mafro » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:54 pm

Errkal wrote:
KK wrote:If the future is working from home, these places are just doomed. Public transport in a lot of places becomes unsustainable too.


They are doomed if they do nothing and stay as they are, but if the move more to suburbs and towns and offer delivery in the day (liek Greggs now has started doing) they can survive just fine. It depends on if they try and move with the times or just sit crying.

Why do you have to sound like such an arse? I know plenty of places locally that tried changing their business but it turned out not being logistically and economically viable for them and they closed. A few of my friends have lost their jobs as a result of this and have had to turn to universal credit. I guess it's easy to have that shitty attitude when you can simply just switch to working at home.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Harvey Nichols is where I go if I need a fancy department store.


When it comes to fancy, i prefer to visit Fortnum & Mason.

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Errkal » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:00 pm

Mafro wrote:
Errkal wrote:
KK wrote:If the future is working from home, these places are just doomed. Public transport in a lot of places becomes unsustainable too.


They are doomed if they do nothing and stay as they are, but if the move more to suburbs and towns and offer delivery in the day (liek Greggs now has started doing) they can survive just fine. It depends on if they try and move with the times or just sit crying.

Why do you have to sound like such an arse? I know plenty of places locally that tried changing their business but it turned out not being logistically and economically viable for them and they closed. A few of my friends have lost their jobs as a result of this and have had to turn to universal credit. I guess it's easy to have that shitty attitude when you can simply just switch to working at home.


I dont mean local places, I mean massive chains that have the resources to change but wont invest in change because profits. I could word it better sure, but the point is that a lot of big companies seem to go to the wall because they haven't kept up to date and I can only assume that is because shareholders would rather have money now at the expense of long term viability.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Errkal wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Errkal wrote:
KK wrote:If the future is working from home, these places are just doomed. Public transport in a lot of places becomes unsustainable too.


They are doomed if they do nothing and stay as they are, but if the move more to suburbs and towns and offer delivery in the day (liek Greggs now has started doing) they can survive just fine. It depends on if they try and move with the times or just sit crying.

Why do you have to sound like such an arse? I know plenty of places locally that tried changing their business but it turned out not being logistically and economically viable for them and they closed. A few of my friends have lost their jobs as a result of this and have had to turn to universal credit. I guess it's easy to have that shitty attitude when you can simply just switch to working at home.


I dont mean local places, I mean massive chains that have the resources to change but wont invest in change because profits. I could word it better sure, but the point is that a lot of big companies seem to go to the wall because they haven't kept up to date and I can only assume that is because shareholders would rather have money now at the expense of long term viability.


The problem is that we've reached a place where large online retailers are so dominate that it'll be hard for most shops to stay open regardless of what they do.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Errkal » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:24 pm

Lex-Man wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Errkal wrote:
KK wrote:If the future is working from home, these places are just doomed. Public transport in a lot of places becomes unsustainable too.


They are doomed if they do nothing and stay as they are, but if the move more to suburbs and towns and offer delivery in the day (liek Greggs now has started doing) they can survive just fine. It depends on if they try and move with the times or just sit crying.

Why do you have to sound like such an arse? I know plenty of places locally that tried changing their business but it turned out not being logistically and economically viable for them and they closed. A few of my friends have lost their jobs as a result of this and have had to turn to universal credit. I guess it's easy to have that shitty attitude when you can simply just switch to working at home.


I dont mean local places, I mean massive chains that have the resources to change but wont invest in change because profits. I could word it better sure, but the point is that a lot of big companies seem to go to the wall because they haven't kept up to date and I can only assume that is because shareholders would rather have money now at the expense of long term viability.


The problem is that we've reached a place where large online retailers are so dominate that it'll be hard for most shops to stay open regardless of what they do.


This is true, only win for local shops might be that big plaaces are so heavy invested in city centres and can't shift fast enough to more residential areas and they can get some wins by being in the places people are living and working.

I'd love a sandwich van to come round my way we used to have one at the hospital I worked at it would go round the industrial estates, a thing like an ice cream van for sarnies would eb epic.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: Night City

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Preezy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Errkal wrote:I'd love a sandwich van to come round my way we used to have one at the hospital I worked at it would go round the industrial estates, a thing like an ice cream van for sarnies would eb epic.

Before lockdown we had nothing like that in my new-build estate, but since lockdown we now have a different food truck for every night of the week, its crazy :lol:

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Moggy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:37 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Harvey Nichols is where I go if I need a fancy department store.


When it comes to fancy, i prefer to visit Fortnum & Mason.


I don't what we use as the butler sorts it out for us.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:39 pm

Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Harvey Nichols is where I go if I need a fancy department store.


When it comes to fancy, i prefer to visit Fortnum & Mason.


I don't what we use as the butler sorts it out for us.

Sometimes one must associate with the common folk to remain grounded in oneself.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Bunni » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:54 pm

I just had a fortnum and mason hamper delivered :shifty:

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Mafro » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm surprised there hasn't been rumblings of Jenners being a bit strawberry floated. Apparently they've been wanting to move off Princes Street for a while now.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 pm

Bunni wrote:I just had a fortnum and mason hamper delivered :shifty:


Good for you, their jars of preserve in particular are truly magnificent.

Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Dual » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Bunni wrote:I just had a fortnum and mason hamper delivered :shifty:


What was the damage.?

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Bunni » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Dual wrote:
Bunni wrote:I just had a fortnum and mason hamper delivered :shifty:


What was the damage.?


£175 but was looking for blanket storage anyway. Got a decent amount of Christmas Day supplies though.

Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Dual » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:47 pm

Bunni wrote:
Dual wrote:
Bunni wrote:I just had a fortnum and mason hamper delivered :shifty:


What was the damage.?


£175 but was looking for blanket storage anyway. Got a decent amount of Christmas Day supplies though.


That's alright isn't it tbf. Might treat us to one as well now.

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Bunni » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Got £12 on top cashback too.

User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:00 am

Any chance of a pic? I want to see what you got in it.

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Bunni » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:20 am

I can't be bothered uploading stuff but I got the highgrove basket. Bottle of champagne, red and white, Christmas pudding, some sweet stuff and jams and such. Not loads of stuff but I love Christmas and since we're no longer going to New York I thought I'd splurge on the food experience.

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Guy Brush of Lincolnshire

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 am

I splurged on a food experience once



I'm no longer welcome at Toby Carvery ):

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Skarjo » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:58 am

:lol: :fp: Gross.

I’m ordering hampers from F&M for pressies this year.

https://hamper.citysuper.com.hk/collect ... travaganza

Now that’s excessive.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...

Return to “Stuff”