The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Winckle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
Winckle wrote:They really don't, in fact the opposite is true, they may have the best delivery setup in the country. It just so happens to be gated behind Prime, which you don't want to pay for. Being able to order stuff and have it arrive the same day is wonderful and has saved me many trips to the shops.

A few years ago, a RAM stick in my computer failed and was causing crashes. I was able to order a replacement on Prime Now and have it delivered less than 3 hours later.


Bloody hell it's hard for anyone to compete with 3 hour delivery.
The fastest service I have available from them is next day so I assume you live right next to a distribution hub?


Pizza only takes 20 minutes, 3 hours for a stick of RAM doesn’t sound that impressive.

You can also create your own custom pizza, whereas I had to choose from several preset RAM choices. :x

Peter, there's a separate site called Prime Now, which if it is supported in your area has delivery within hours - https://primenow.amazon.co.uk/

If you pay extra you can get it delivered in under two hours.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Moggy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Winckle wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
Winckle wrote:They really don't, in fact the opposite is true, they may have the best delivery setup in the country. It just so happens to be gated behind Prime, which you don't want to pay for. Being able to order stuff and have it arrive the same day is wonderful and has saved me many trips to the shops.

A few years ago, a RAM stick in my computer failed and was causing crashes. I was able to order a replacement on Prime Now and have it delivered less than 3 hours later.


Bloody hell it's hard for anyone to compete with 3 hour delivery.
The fastest service I have available from them is next day so I assume you live right next to a distribution hub?


Pizza only takes 20 minutes, 3 hours for a stick of RAM doesn’t sound that impressive.

You can also create your own custom pizza, whereas I had to choose from several preset RAM choices. :x


strawberry floating shitty Amazon. :x

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Peter Crisp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Silent Right wrote:Do you all l live in fairly rural areas or something? I live in a smaller town and virtually never need to order any thing online as I can always find what I need near me.

I'll usually look up prices on Amazon as virtually all retailers here will price match them but I've stopped buying most things from them as it's more of a hassle to send stuff back if there's an issue.


I live in Biggleswade which while not exactly being central London is hardly rural.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggleswade The census data is laughably out of date as we've had a huge boom in new housing recently and the population has at least doubled if not nearly trebled.

I had a look Winckle and the service isn't available here.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Winckle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:
Silent Right wrote:Do you all l live in fairly rural areas or something? I live in a smaller town and virtually never need to order any thing online as I can always find what I need near me.

I'll usually look up prices on Amazon as virtually all retailers here will price match them but I've stopped buying most things from them as it's more of a hassle to send stuff back if there's an issue.


I live in Biggleswade which while not exactly being central London is hardly rural.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggleswade The census data is laughably out of date as we've had a huge boom in new housing recently and the population has at least doubled if not nearly trebled.

I had a look Winckle and the service isn't available here.

Looks like you'll have to wait till the following day in the case of computer emergencies then. :x

Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:"Well in my book you either do it right, or you get eliminated"


While I agree it's hard for most companies to be able to do it right as they don't have billions to be able to absorb early losses as they buy a fleet of vehicles, hire thousands of staff and build a nationwide chain of delivery hubs.
If I wanted to try and start a company now to compete I seriously don't think I'd get any change out of £5B if I wanted the company to survive for any length of time and even then it would most likely fail as I doubt even that would be enough to also advertise the new service.


True, but in the case of HMV they weren't a new business. What crippled them was a lack of foresight and a complete arrogance that they were untouchable.

"We don't need to adapt, these streaming services are just a fad! Physical media will make us millions for years to come!"

And yet here we are...

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Peter Crisp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Gemini73 wrote:True, but in the case of HMV they weren't a new business. What crippled them was a lack of foresight and a complete arrogance that they were untouchable.


HMV being arrogant is about as laughable as me being arrogant at a swingers party.
HMV were about as good a shop as I am at 3 way gang bang sessions*.
I used to work at Woolies before it collapsed and if it's run even half as badly as that was then I feel for the staff as so many, many mistakes were made like the store looking like it was from the 1970's.

* I've never had a 3 way gang bang session so I suspect I'll either be really terrible or really amazing at it and my money's on the former.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Woolies proves the point. These businesses absolutely believe they're untouchable and that they would never need to adapt their business model with the times.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Rightey » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Speaking of failure to adapt, it's really crazy how some of these stores were innovative when they first appeared.

We had a large department store chain here called Sears, who were very famous because they pioneered mail ordering in the 1920, but up until their collapse two years ago they barely had a website! Their site looked like it was made in 1995!

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Meep » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:14 pm

A few times in the past I have heard of some store offering a deal or other and gone to their website to find it... only to realize that I cannot buy anything through the website. Hopefully this is not the case now but it shows how slow they are to adapt.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Silent Right wrote:Speaking of failure to adapt, it's really crazy how some of these stores were innovative when they first appeared.

We had a large department store chain here called Sears, who were very famous because they pioneered mail ordering in the 1920, but up until their collapse two years ago they barely had a website! Their site looked like it was made in 1995!


They were another company who kept dismissing online as they felt it would effect their core business. All they did was allow other companies to take their trade.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by KK » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Indicator of how big HMV still is...

Paul McGowan, executive chairman of HMV and its owner Hilco Capital, said: "Even an exceptionally well-run and much-loved business such as HMV cannot withstand the tsunami of challenges facing UK retailers over the last 12 months on top of such a dramatic change in consumer behaviour in the entertainment market."

He pointed out HMV sold 31% of all physical music in the UK in 2018 and 23% of all DVDs and Blu-rays, with its market share growing month by month throughout the year.

The Entertainment Retailers Association points out that when you tot up music, video, and games there is still a market of nearly £2bn worth of physical products.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46699290

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Errkal » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:09 pm

If you doing that level of sales and still can't sort your gooseberry fool you have proper crap structures and wastage.

User avatar
Wrathy
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Location: Location: Location:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Wrathy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:11 pm

31% of nothing is still nothing. They're in a shrinking sector (evidenced by the change of habits and absence of competition) at a time where the high street is on its deathbed. I don't even know where my nearest HMV is in England.

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Silent Right wrote:Do you all l live in fairly rural areas or something? I live in a smaller town and virtually never need to order any thing online as I can always find what I need near me.


Where i live is semi rural, we have a Morrisons, a Lidl, a post office, a poundland, a Waitrose, an iceland, and a sports direct.

That's pretty much it, unless you want to pop in to any of the 10 charity shops we also have here.

Edit: When i read that back just now, it seems hardly a surprise that Stool Bloke just sits on his front drive all day, there's nowhere to go around here anyways.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Wrathy wrote:31% of nothing is still nothing. They're in a shrinking sector (evidenced by the change of habits and absence of competition) at a time where the high street is on its deathbed. I don't even know where my nearest HMV is in England.


I mean, the article is fairly clear that there's a £2bn market for this stuff in the UK and their sales grew month on month over the course of the year - this is a case of bad management, not a shrinking market.

Image Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm a bit worried about the future of this country. We can't all work for websites.

Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:33 pm

This has basically been UK high street retail the last 12 months or so.

Image

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Ah, Comical Ali, the greatest hero of the Iraq War.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Drumstick » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Vermi-Claus wrote:
Silent Right wrote:Do you all l live in fairly rural areas or something? I live in a smaller town and virtually never need to order any thing online as I can always find what I need near me.


Where i live is semi rural, we have a Morrisons, a Lidl, a post office, a poundland, a Waitrose, an iceland, and a sports direct.

That's pretty much it, unless you want to pop in to any of the 10 charity shops we also have here.

Edit: When i read that back just now, it seems hardly a surprise that Stool Bloke just sits on his front drive all day, there's nowhere to go around here anyways.

Where do you live that doesn't have a Tesco?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Harry Ellis wrote:
Vermi-Claus wrote:
Silent Right wrote:Do you all l live in fairly rural areas or something? I live in a smaller town and virtually never need to order any thing online as I can always find what I need near me.


Where i live is semi rural, we have a Morrisons, a Lidl, a post office, a poundland, a Waitrose, an iceland, and a sports direct.

That's pretty much it, unless you want to pop in to any of the 10 charity shops we also have here.

Edit: When i read that back just now, it seems hardly a surprise that Stool Bloke just sits on his front drive all day, there's nowhere to go around here anyways.

Where do you live that doesn't have a Tesco?


The nearest main Tesco is Trowbridge.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Denster, Parksey, Rightey, Saint of Killers and 50 guests