The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
AKA: Preezy

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Preezy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Dropping like flies out there.

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 am

Lex-Man wrote:Are you suggesting that we should watch out because Beales's about?


Yes, he might blow up your car when you're least expecting it.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Squinty » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:45 am

Lex-Man wrote:In good news for HMV I've actually bought stuff in their twice in a week and I spent nearly £20 quid.


I spent a fiver in there the other week. Together we will save their company.

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Squinty wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:In good news for HMV I've actually bought stuff in their twice in a week and I spent nearly £20 quid.


I spent a fiver in there the other week. Together we will save their company.


I spent £15 last week, and another £15 today as my pre-order of IT: Chapter 2 arrived.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 pm

I bought Trainspotting on DVD for £5.99 from my local HMV today.

User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm

My local Beales store is in a right state went in there today and the heating hasn't been working for months and many of the windows are smashed, honestly can't see that store being saved.

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:03 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:My local Beales store is in a right state went in there today and the heating hasn't been working for months and many of the windows are smashed, honestly can't see that store being saved.


Which one's that? I know the Worthing store was a little ragged around the edges the last time i visited.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Gemini73 wrote:I bought Trainspotting on DVD for £5.99 from my local HMV today.


I bought the Danny Boyle collection for a fiver. Didn't get Trainspotting with it though.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Vermi Claus wrote:
imbusydoctorwho wrote:My local Beales store is in a right state went in there today and the heating hasn't been working for months and many of the windows are smashed, honestly can't see that store being saved.


Which one's that? I know the Worthing store was a little ragged around the edges the last time i visited.


It's the Wisbech store, use to be Westgate back in the day.

Image
User avatar
poshrule_uk
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by poshrule_uk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:42 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:
Vermi Claus wrote:
imbusydoctorwho wrote:My local Beales store is in a right state went in there today and the heating hasn't been working for months and many of the windows are smashed, honestly can't see that store being saved.


Which one's that? I know the Worthing store was a little ragged around the edges the last time i visited.


It's the Wisbech store, use to be Westgate back in the day.


Not far from me, I live not to far away

Beales in Peterborough isn't much better

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Jenuall » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Is Beales like a northern thing or something? Never even heard of it.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
AKA: Preezy

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Preezy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:55 pm

+1 for never having heard of Beales.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Festivus Maximus wrote:+1 for never having heard of Beales.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 pm

There used to be a Beales in Redcar but it shut down years ago.

I always thought it was a standalone store, never knew it was a chain.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:27 pm

I heard if them a year ago when I went into one just after Christmas.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:31 pm

Never heard of it before and no idea what it sells. I'm going to create a beautiful illusion in my mind.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Green Gecko » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:31 pm

Festivus Maximus wrote:Well, everyone's different, I suppose.

In other predictable news:
Fashion chain Superdry has warned that its profits could be wiped out after sales fell sharply over Christmas.

The firm, which has been trying to sell more clothes at full price, said it had been hit by "unprecedented levels of promotional activity" by rivals.

Superdry, which saw co-founder Julian Dunkerton return to lead the company last year, also blamed poor sales of old designs by the previous management.

Revenues at the retailer fell 15.8% over the 10 weeks to 4 January.

As a result, the company said it now expected full-year profits to be between zero and £10m, compared with analysts' expectations of about £40m.

Shares in Superdry sank as much as 20% in reaction to the news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51060580


I work with an ex-Superdry jerseywear designer who started their own brand, and while nobody seems to bat an eyelid over the idea of a gigantic firm/brand making 0 profits or even heavy losses, while it's unimaginable for someone to willingly do that starting a business for years at a time, it is interesting to think in real terms, these people are in the exact same situation in terms of "does your business make any money" :lol:

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Squinty » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Superdry clothes are ridiculously expensive. Couldn't justify buying them.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Squinty wrote:Superdry clothes are ridiculously expensive. Couldn't justify buying them.


They have pretty good sales although as I can speak Japanese I know all the stuff they write on their tops is total gibberish.

Japanese people actually go into their shops just to laugh at how bad their stuff is.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Green Gecko » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 pm

To be fair, we have the same thing over there.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Blue Eyes, Lex-Man, more heat than light, MrKirov, Oblomov Boblomov, Poser, Preezy, Rax, Tsunade and 50 guests