The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Godzilla » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:09 pm

No idea how TGI and Franky and Benny's is still going in this climate.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Godzilla wrote:No idea how TGI and Franky and Benny's is still going in this climate.


Indeed. The ones in Cheltenham are always almost empty of customers, even at weekends.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Gemini73 wrote:Handmade Burger Co collapses

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.waleso ... 618963.amp

I'd only been in there a few times but it always seemed overpriced for what you got really.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Handmade Burger Co collapses

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.waleso ... 618963.amp

I'd only been in there a few times but it always seemed overpriced for what you got really.


I'd say that's half the problem with these places in that their pricing doesn't reflect the majority of people's disposable income on a month to month basis. We used to have an independent burger bar named Real Burger. It was very nice food, but the pricing was far too high. Think I went there twice, maybe three times in total before they went under.

Real Burger weren't the first of these independent food establishments to go down the shitter here. I've lost count of the restaurants and sandwhich bars that thought they could charge the moon for a tuna baguette to then collapse within 12 months of opening on Cheltenham's high street.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Is Real Burger in Cheltenham gone now then? Damn that's a shame, that was one of our guilty pleasure Deliveroo* options when we couldn't be arsed to sort out a proper meal. :cry:


*cheers Victor!

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Jenuall wrote:Is Real Burger in Cheltenham gone now then? Damn that's a shame, that was one of our guilty pleasure Deliveroo* options when we couldn't be arsed to sort out a proper meal. :cry:


*cheers Victor!


It went under a while back shortly after relocating to a more prominent place on the high street. If it's reopened somewhere else then it's not in town.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:47 pm

Are Gourmet Burger Kitchen still around? Seemed to be pretty much the same thing as Handmade Burger Co, and had the same "Overpriced for what it is" problem last time I went.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:56 pm

Amazingly we still have a Burger Star here. :cool:

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Went in Burger Star on the Bath Road once. Never again! :lol:

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Jenuall wrote:Went in Burger Star on the Bath Road once. Never again! :lol:


Burger Star requires large consumptions of cheap lager before ordering. :lol:

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm still disappointed by Bread Meats Bread.
It was being bigged up on here and then when I went to the one in Edinburgh it was one of the greasiest burgers I'd ever eaten. There was a literal pool of grease on my plate after the first bite.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by KK » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Godzilla wrote:No idea how TGI and Franky and Benny's is still going in this climate.

First time I ever had a Ben and Jerry’s ice cream was in a TGI Friday (Cookie Dough). That was the highlight of the meal.

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:08 am

I use to quite like TGI Friday's, haven't been in years, though.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:16 am

Lex-Man wrote:I use to quite like TGI Friday's, haven't been in years, though.


I used to go to the one in Cheltenham every now and then. It was always a bit hit and miss. I think they must have a constant turn around of chefs.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:01 am

Gemini73 wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:I use to quite like TGI Friday's, haven't been in years, though.


I used to go to the one in Cheltenham every now and then. It was always a bit hit and miss. I think they must have a constant turn around of chefs.

In my experience it is a restaurant of quantity, certainly not quality. Endless plates of food that presumably ticks a few boxes for people who get a kick out of eating saturated fat but don't particularly care how it tastes.

American food :dread:.

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:43 pm

Was in CEX today. Lots of people trading, few spending. Also I noticed that a lot of their prices have increased, with some games I had my eye on the previous week now being £3-5 dearer.

Profits taken a hit I wonder...

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:I use to quite like TGI Friday's, haven't been in years, though.


I used to go to the one in Cheltenham every now and then. It was always a bit hit and miss. I think they must have a constant turn around of chefs.

In my experience it is a restaurant of quantity, certainly not quality. Endless plates of food that presumably ticks a few boxes for people who get a kick out of eating saturated fat but don't particularly care how it tastes.

American food :dread:.


Nah I don't buy that. American food is generally great - TGI's is the problem, they're absolute guff.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:I use to quite like TGI Friday's, haven't been in years, though.


I used to go to the one in Cheltenham every now and then. It was always a bit hit and miss. I think they must have a constant turn around of chefs.

In my experience it is a restaurant of quantity, certainly not quality. Endless plates of food that presumably ticks a few boxes for people who get a kick out of eating saturated fat but don't particularly care how it tastes.

American food :dread:.


Nah I don't buy that. American food is generally great - TGI's is the problem, they're absolute guff.

It's mostly just all pre-packaged stuff that gets reheated in places like that isn't it? Certainly not fresh.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Gemini73 wrote:Was in CEX today.


I hope you went through decontamination afterwards.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Was in CEX today.


I hope you went through decontamination afterwards.


Took a shower with wire wool


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chocolate-Milk, JediDragon05, Kanbei, mic, MSN [Bot], PuppetBoy, Rubix, Superking, Trelliz, Tsunade, Yoshimi and 59 guests