The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Vermilion » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:57 am

Mafro wrote:When Dunnes went into administration or whatever a two years ago they had the largest unit in my local shopping centre. The bit it was in was huge compared to everything else in there and nothing has moved in since, it's remained boarded up. It's going to be grim seeing how empty that centre is when everywhere starts opening again since a lot of it is just shops that will probably be closing when their lease is up since the rent is so high.


I didn't know that had happened, one of the things i remember most about my visit to Ireland was looking around their stores.

User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Buffalo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:38 pm

gaminglegend wrote:
Godzilla wrote:https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/debenhams-close-metrocentre-site-after-18388610

Debenhams at the Metro Centre won't ever re open.


I'm shocked at this. I'm certain they paid for some of the red mall upgrades too when it was re-designed, it's the focal point of that end. Can't see anything filling it,


Kinda gutted it’s gone, I always tried to make an effort to buy something in there to try and keep it going. How they’re going to fill that space is anyone’s guess.

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Welcome to the party, pal

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Same way they fill up every empty retail space.

Discount clothes and card shops.

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Buffalo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:42 pm

Aye but it’s a fair size though, and it’s...I can’t describe it very well but the unit kinda bookends one quadrant of the centre, it would be impossible to chop up like that.

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Godzilla » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Yep, it's a big one.

.

Image

....

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Mafro » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Mafro wrote:When Dunnes went into administration or whatever a two years ago they had the largest unit in my local shopping centre. The bit it was in was huge compared to everything else in there and nothing has moved in since, it's remained boarded up. It's going to be grim seeing how empty that centre is when everywhere starts opening again since a lot of it is just shops that will probably be closing when their lease is up since the rent is so high.


I didn't know that had happened, one of the things i remember most about my visit to Ireland was looking around their stores.

They closed all their non-Irish stores.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Godzilla wrote:Yep, it's a big one.

.

Image

....

And some of the floors aren't even accessible without going through the rest of it.

The only way you could chop it up is to basically turn the unit into a shopping centre within a shopping centre, which would cost an absolute fortune to do.


Honestly not going to be surprised if House of Fraser in there follows, which is an even bigger unit, and possibly the biggest space in there besides the Odeon.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Buffalo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:21 pm

I do like it when us northeastern types recognise stuff together :wub:

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:33 pm

In fairness we've got a lot fewer things to remember than Southerners.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Its like a Peter Kay gig in here.

Debenhams, remember them? Yes Peter we DO remember!

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Winckle » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:49 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:Its like a Peter Kay gig in here.

Debenhams, remember them? Yes Peter we DO remember!


User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Godzilla » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:58 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/poundstretcher-12004932

Poundstretcher in trouble. Only been in one a couple of times. It felt like B and M + Home Bargains but with less variety and bargains.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 pm

Godzilla wrote:https://news.sky.com/story/poundstretcher-12004932

Poundstretcher in trouble. Only been in one a couple of times. It felt like B and M + Home Bargains but with less variety and bargains.


I actually thought they went bust a few years ago. They closed a load of stores down, all our local ones went so tHey just drifted away from my mind. They have been destroyed by companies like B&M and Home Bargains.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Didn't that Eastenders woman work for them?

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:33 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Godzilla wrote:https://news.sky.com/story/poundstretcher-12004932

Poundstretcher in trouble. Only been in one a couple of times. It felt like B and M + Home Bargains but with less variety and bargains.


I actually thought they went bust a few years ago. They closed a load of stores down, all our local ones went so tHey just drifted away from my mind. They have been destroyed by companies like B&M and Home Bargains.

It was Poundland that went bust and shut all their shops down wasn't it?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:34 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Godzilla wrote:https://news.sky.com/story/poundstretcher-12004932

Poundstretcher in trouble. Only been in one a couple of times. It felt like B and M + Home Bargains but with less variety and bargains.


I actually thought they went bust a few years ago. They closed a load of stores down, all our local ones went so tHey just drifted away from my mind. They have been destroyed by companies like B&M and Home Bargains.

It was Poundland that went bust and shut all their shops down wasn't it?


Poundworld

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:35 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Godzilla wrote:https://news.sky.com/story/poundstretcher-12004932

Poundstretcher in trouble. Only been in one a couple of times. It felt like B and M + Home Bargains but with less variety and bargains.


I actually thought they went bust a few years ago. They closed a load of stores down, all our local ones went so tHey just drifted away from my mind. They have been destroyed by companies like B&M and Home Bargains.

It was Poundland that went bust and shut all their shops down wasn't it?


Poundworld

Clearly there are too many shops with Pound in the name!

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by KK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:37 pm

BBC had a weekly documentary on them a couple of years ago. The father is a bit stuck in his ways and isn’t really open to change and it’s killing the business.

Some very good bargains to be had in there though. I’ve bought major brands for between 70-80% off their RRP. Heinz organic beans for 50p a can instead of £1.10, that type of thing.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:50 pm

I'm still ashamed of the time last year when a Poundshop opened on Redcar High Street and there were literally queues down the street on opening morning for it.

For a strawberry floating Pound shop!

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... h-15947881

Image

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Cuttooth » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 pm

Eh, why would you be ashamed? :?


Return to “Stuff”