The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:22 pm

Lagamorph wrote:My favourite chain restaurant/definitely money laundering front is Tony Macaroni's.


You should visit the Tony Macaroni Arena in that case. gooseberry fool football, great generic Italian food.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:39 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:My favourite chain restaurant/definitely money laundering front is Tony Macaroni's.


You should visit the Tony Macaroni Arena in that case. gooseberry fool football, great generic Italian food.

My main office base is in Livingston where the Tony Macaroni Arena is :lol:

God what a shithole of a town. And I say that as someone who lives in strawberry floating Redcar.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:My favourite chain restaurant/definitely money laundering front is Tony Macaroni's.


You should visit the Tony Macaroni Arena in that case. gooseberry fool football, great generic Italian food.

My main office base is in Livingston where the Tony Macaroni Arena is :lol:

God what a shithole of a town. And I say that as someone who lives in strawberry floating Redcar.


I'm so sorry to hear that. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Mafro » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:My favourite chain restaurant/definitely money laundering front is Tony Macaroni's.


You should visit the Tony Macaroni Arena in that case. gooseberry fool football, great generic Italian food.

My main office base is in Livingston where the Tony Macaroni Arena is :lol:

God what a shithole of a town. And I say that as someone who lives in strawberry floating Redcar.

Great shopping centre though.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Mafro wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:My favourite chain restaurant/definitely money laundering front is Tony Macaroni's.


You should visit the Tony Macaroni Arena in that case. gooseberry fool football, great generic Italian food.

My main office base is in Livingston where the Tony Macaroni Arena is :lol:

God what a shithole of a town. And I say that as someone who lives in strawberry floating Redcar.

Great shopping centre though.

Oh yeah, strawberry floating huge as well. No shortage of restaurants at least.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by KK » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Thomas Cook, Britain's oldest travel agent, was close to collapsing on Sunday night as last-ditch rescue talks looked like ending in catastrophic failure.

Sky News has learnt that the company's creditors and the government are anticipating an announcement on Monday morning that the 178-year-old business had ceased trading - with a new Whitehall taskforce set up to address the crisis.

Insiders told Sky News that the Official Receiver was expected to be involved in any insolvency process, with KPMG, the big four accountancy firm, handling the administration or liquidation of Thomas Cook's UK tour operating division - which comprises more than 550 high street shops.

AlixPartners is expected to oversee the insolvency of the group's airlines, with the Department for Transport and Civil Aviation Authority co-ordinating the biggest-ever peacetime repatriation of British citizens.

In total, Thomas Cook has more than 600,000 customers currently overseas, more than 160,000 of whom are from the UK.

Sources said the government was expected to launch a joint taskforce to oversee Whitehall's response to the crisis, which will pose an immediate threat to 9000 UK-based jobs.

And another round of job losses and empty high street shops.

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:19 am

KK wrote:
Thomas Cook, Britain's oldest travel agent, was close to collapsing on Sunday night as last-ditch rescue talks looked like ending in catastrophic failure.

Sky News has learnt that the company's creditors and the government are anticipating an announcement on Monday morning that the 178-year-old business had ceased trading - with a new Whitehall taskforce set up to address the crisis.

Insiders told Sky News that the Official Receiver was expected to be involved in any insolvency process, with KPMG, the big four accountancy firm, handling the administration or liquidation of Thomas Cook's UK tour operating division - which comprises more than 550 high street shops.

AlixPartners is expected to oversee the insolvency of the group's airlines, with the Department for Transport and Civil Aviation Authority co-ordinating the biggest-ever peacetime repatriation of British citizens.

In total, Thomas Cook has more than 600,000 customers currently overseas, more than 160,000 of whom are from the UK.

Sources said the government was expected to launch a joint taskforce to oversee Whitehall's response to the crisis, which will pose an immediate threat to 9000 UK-based jobs.

And another round of job losses and empty high street shops.


I just read a post on Facebook from somebody who worked there. Apperently they are getting loads of gooseberry fool from customers who seem to be blaming them for the place company going under and feeling miserable that they've lost their job. It must be horrible although the company has been in dire straits for years so this feel almost inevitable.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Ad7 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:27 am

It must be so gooseberry fool to have to deal with all that, knowing you're being let go and not just say strawberry float it.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by That's not a growth » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:30 am

I probably wouldn't be able to hold back in that situation "I'm sorry your can't go on your cruise Gary, but quite frankly I'm in a call centre in Milton Keynes and had no say in the running of the company - and I'm a bit distracted right now as I'm not sure how I'm going to pay rent or buy my family Christmas presents."

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lex-Man » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:05 am

The thing I read was from a rep who has been threatened with violence and isn't sure how they're going to get home as they would have taken a TV flight.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Thomas Cook has collapsed after last-minute negotiations aimed at saving the 178-year-old holiday firm failed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49791249

User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Albear » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks Gemini.

Where would we be without you.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Jenuall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Apparently, and this is early days so pinch of salt and all that, but it looks like Northern Rock may be in trouble as well. ;)

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Ad7 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Apparently Thomas cook have gone under

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: PatSharpsMullet
Location: Brighton

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by PatSharpsMullet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:15 pm

Thomas Cook went under in 1892. :shifty:

Image
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Winckle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm

PatSharpsMullet wrote:Thomas Cook went under in 1892. :shifty:

The founding of Liverpool Football Club was the writing on the wall.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Albear wrote:Thanks Gemini.

Where would we be without you.


Trapped at an airport in a different country.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Lagamorph » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm

600,000 people currently abroad with Thomas Cook at the moment, 150,000 of them from the UK.
Globally they employ about 22,000 people, 9,000 from the UK.

That's a LOT of people potentially going out of work :(
They have some profitable arms that may be sold as going concerns, but not in the UK sadly.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Preezy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Lagamorph wrote:That's a LOT of people potentially going out of work :(

Yeah it sucks to think of that many people potentially out of a job now, and it's not like there are 20k open spaces in other travel companies just waiting to be filled. Working in the travel industry always strikes me as being very precarious, it's vulnerable to rapid change and businesses can rise and fall on something as minor as the weather! Going the same way as high street retail - the internet is killing everything physical :dread:

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Retail Apocalypse (Incorporating Casual Dining Closures)
by Gemini73 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 pm

British holidays for the win.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Blue Eyes, Bunni, Cuttooth, Edd, Garth, kazanova_Frankenstein, KjGarly, Lagamorph, Mafro, Met, MSN [Bot], Poser, Rax, Rightey, shy guy 64, suzzopher and 48 guests