The Running Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
poshrule_uk
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by poshrule_uk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:59 pm

Errkal wrote:
poshrule_uk wrote:
When I first started I found that when I got to 5K and found that manageable without killing me I started to enjoy it, I feel going from 0 exercise to doing something is a massive transition for your body


Yeah a few people have said that, I'm lucky I guess that I have been going on long works every Friday since lockdown began first time round so leg wise I dont get tired its just my lungs and that that are knackering me at the moment so once that gets trained up I should be better. Every time ive had to stop adn walk has been because of stiches and that rather than legs not wanting to work any more.


Sounds like you're doing the right things, just remember running is a process, don't do too much to soon and you will soon make progress

I went from walk run walk and 18 months later I ran sub 90 minute marathon, trust your plan and your training

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Errkal » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:49 pm

BADGE!!!
Image

Image

didn't run the whole 5k but covered it in the session so its all good. Not too shabby :D

User avatar
Cyburn2
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London UK

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Cyburn2 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Done a 14k jog, try to push myself bit by bit, even if my speed is slower.

Image
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Curls » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:40 am

I managed to do 17 mile yesterday. I did a half marathon last week and found myself drained. So this week for my long run I changed my diet a bit. I had two bowls of pasta the day before, and then at 5 am yesterday I woke up and made a big bowl of porridge with chia seeds. I then gave myself two hours and drank water before my jog. I definitely had more energy. But still, but still it was so so so so difficult. I averaged about 10 minute miles in the end. I also had 4 energy gels during the run.

I don't know how I'll managed 26 miles when I do the Nicosia Marathon in Feb, but just keep plodding i guess.

Is there anyone on here i can follow on Strava? I like comparing.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by That's not a growth » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:34 am

I went over on my ankle halfway through a 20k run yesterday, but thankfully was able to run it off over a few hundred metres and finished my run. Would have been absolutely gutted if I did myself an injury that meant I needed to take time off for a few weeks, I've been making good progress these last few months and would hate for a setback. I think I'm on track for a 1:40 half marathon soon - if only there was some flatter areas around here.

On being drained, Curls, I figure it's just part of things. I eat quite a lot, and I heard having some sugar after a big workout helps with recovery, but I'm still wiped out for the rest of the day and take it easy the following day. I don't eat or drink during my runs though, just due to hating the idea of needing to carry anything with me so just put up with it.

User avatar
Spindash
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North West

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Spindash » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Not trained properly since the summer but thinking of entering a race in February or March, mostly to give myself something to look forward to tbh.

Curls wrote:Is there anyone on here i can follow on Strava? I like comparing.


add me bbz https://www.strava.com/athletes/20691647

Challenger007
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Challenger007 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Thats not a grinch wrote:I went over on my ankle halfway through a 20k run yesterday, but thankfully was able to run it off over a few hundred metres and finished my run. Would have been absolutely gutted if I did myself an injury that meant I needed to take time off for a few weeks, I've been making good progress these last few months and would hate for a setback. I think I'm on track for a 1:40 half marathon soon - if only there was some flatter areas around here.

On being drained, Curls, I figure it's just part of things. I eat quite a lot, and I heard having some sugar after a big workout helps with recovery, but I'm still wiped out for the rest of the day and take it easy the following day. I don't eat or drink during my runs though, just due to hating the idea of needing to carry anything with me so just put up with it.


You need to be very careful while exercising, especially in winter. After jogging in the morning, I can eat pancakes or something light with carbohydrates to recuperate. In the morning, this is acceptable. The main thing is to know when to stop.

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Curls » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Hah yes, I eat too many donuts. Even with all the extra exercise im doing right now I'm not really losing weight. Not that I'm trying too..I still weigh 72-76KG, not particularly fat, but not skinny running athlete levels either. I would need a change in my shitey diet to fix it. Still, one thing at a time right.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by That's not a growth » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:16 am

Using Christmas vouchers I bought myself some new running shoes which arrived yesterday, they're essentially trail running shoes with chunky soles. I was hoping to get out and give them a go today, since I've been lacking in my running these last two weeks, so of course outside is covered in snow this morning.

User avatar
poshrule_uk
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by poshrule_uk » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:32 pm

That's my 2020 running done

5K PB 19:18
10K PB 40:29
HM PB 1:27:41
15 Mile PB 1:49:01
30K PB 2:20:28
20M PB 2:31:49

Longest ever run at 21 miles

Pretty pleased

User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: The Running Thread
by BTB » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:18 pm

Managed to get up to 500km for the year over the last few days! First time I've run consistently for ages, possibly ever? So at least this is a positive of lockdown/Corona.

Impressive times poshrule!

User avatar
Spindash
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North West

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Spindash » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:19 pm

Thats not a grinch wrote:Using Christmas vouchers I bought myself some new running shoes which arrived yesterday, they're essentially trail running shoes with chunky soles. I was hoping to get out and give them a go today, since I've been lacking in my running these last two weeks, so of course outside is covered in snow this morning.


Surely ideal conditions to test them? :>

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by That's not a growth » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:34 pm

I don't trust ice at all, so while it might be over cautious I'm not taking the risk of hitting some compacted snow or some black ice. I'm unstable enough as it is walking, let alone running, and really don't want to lose a few weeks to a embarrassing injury.

User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by satriales » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Wasn't a terrible year of running for me, but the last two months I have hardly done anything due to a bad throat/shortness of breath.

In July I completed The Omen a 68 mile ultramarathon along the North Downs Way and that was my longest ever run. Looking back I'm amazed that I finished because I had cramp for 50 miles. I was just determined to finish having failed the year before and so that gave me confidence for future races that I can keep going even when things are bad

In September I ran The Fox Ultra (38 miles) for the third time and got a new PB but it wasn't quite as fast as I had hoped. Still happy with that result but feel I had more to give.

After The Fox I started running on pavement instead of trails and ran 10k and half marathon distances as fast as I ever had. Was feeling good but then started to get knee pain and so took it easier again.

In November I was planning to run my first 24hr race with Escape From Meriden but it got cancelled. Instead I attempted Day Release a 24hr out and back, measured in a straight line, starting and finishing from your house.
After 20 miles my poor route choice forced me through swampy fields at 1am in the pitch black for several miles and I mentally couldn't picture myself doing it all again on the return journey. So at 28 miles I called it a day and DNF. I was treating it as a training run anyway and not expecting to finish due to my knee problems, but I realised afterwards that I was never going to finish a 100-miler if I wasn't 100% committed from the start.

Goals for 2021
- Complete the GUCR in May. I have never run 100 miles, so running 145 almost seems impossible at this point but I will give it my best. Only five months to go so I need to up my training.

- Escape From Meriden. I'd like to run 100 miles in 24hrs. My planned route has lots of country roads and I'm not sure

- The Fox Ultra. Get under 7hrs. Normally this is in April but entries haven't opened yet so not sure if it will go ahead.

- Surrey Half Marathon. This is in September. I might do some speedwork over the Summer but won't really be focusing on this race much, I just got a free entry for volunteering last year. I'd hope for a time under 1hr 45m without specific training.

User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Rubix » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:18 am

Has anyone ran with Hoka shoes? My past two have been Brooks Ghosts but im currently looking at either the Brooks Glycerin 18 or the Hoka Clifton 7

PLAY | Super Mario Maker 2, Hitman 3, Danganronpa, Demon’s Souls
WATCH | Superstore S5, Wandavision S1
READ | The Secret Political Adviser
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Rubix » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:18 am

Also im doing Red January where I run at least 5km every day

PLAY | Super Mario Maker 2, Hitman 3, Danganronpa, Demon’s Souls
WATCH | Superstore S5, Wandavision S1
READ | The Secret Political Adviser
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Victor Mildew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 am

I've had a shocking run (hah) of form in the last few months and my fitness is strawberry floated now.

Gone from running 3 times a week minimum, about 5 miles each time at a pretty good pace for hill stuff, to next to nothing in the last couple of months thanks to upper body muscle injury which lasted 2 months, then just as that was getting better I got covid, then the weather was terrible. I finally managed to get out early one morning at the start of last week, and within a stride I hit sheet ice on the pavement outside the house and nearly fell flat on my arse. Most of that one was spent either tip toeing or taking to the grass to avoid breaking my neck, so it was largely pointless and I was barely out of breath by the time I got back. Had a better one last Thursday but still not amazing.

I wish it would hurry up and get lighter in the mornings as I find it's much better to be out in the lanes at 6am and feel safe, rather than having to stick near street lights on crappy routes.

Tldr I've put a bit of tummy size back on and need to get back to being properly fit again.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by satriales » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:50 am

Rubix wrote:Has anyone ran with Hoka shoes? My past two have been Brooks Ghosts but im currently looking at either the Brooks Glycerin 18 or the Hoka Clifton 7

I have Hoka Challenger ATRs and have used Brooks Ghost in the past.

The Ghosts were extremely comfortable to run in but they didn't last me long at all. Halfway into an ultra race they split along the sole and so I decided to switch brands. I've not heard of anyone else having reliability issues with these shoes though, so I may have just been unlucky.
Hoka ATRs are great, very comfortable to run in. The Clifton is probably quite comparable to the Ghost but with a bit more padding. I tend to prefer wider shoes than normal and so while I really like the Hoka I find that I get blisters if I do long distance in them, but shape and size was similar to Ghost.

My favourite now is Altra as they have a wider shape that allows toes to not be squished together, but I think they are better for trail ultras than road running.

User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Rubix » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:11 am

satriales wrote:
Rubix wrote:Has anyone ran with Hoka shoes? My past two have been Brooks Ghosts but im currently looking at either the Brooks Glycerin 18 or the Hoka Clifton 7

I have Hoka Challenger ATRs and have used Brooks Ghost in the past.

The Ghosts were extremely comfortable to run in but they didn't last me long at all. Halfway into an ultra race they split along the sole and so I decided to switch brands. I've not heard of anyone else having reliability issues with these shoes though, so I may have just been unlucky.
Hoka ATRs are great, very comfortable to run in. The Clifton is probably quite comparable to the Ghost but with a bit more padding. I tend to prefer wider shoes than normal and so while I really like the Hoka I find that I get blisters if I do long distance in them, but shape and size was similar to Ghost.

My favourite now is Altra as they have a wider shape that allows toes to not be squished together, but I think they are better for trail ultras than road running.


Awesome thanks for that. My distances are 5-10k so we aren’t talking running long distances

PLAY | Super Mario Maker 2, Hitman 3, Danganronpa, Demon’s Souls
WATCH | Superstore S5, Wandavision S1
READ | The Secret Political Adviser
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Curls » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:31 pm

I ran 20 miles last night and killed myself doing it, and my fooking watch broke on the 17 mile mark. Devastating.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, andretmzt, Edd, Mafro, Memento Mori, Neo Cortex, PuppetBoy, Snowcannon, The Watching Artist, Tsunade and 109 guests