The Star Trek Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who is the best Star Trek captain?

Poll ended at Tue May 01, 2012 1:22 pm

James Tiberius Kirk
3
14%
Jean-Luc Picard
15
68%
Benjamin Lafayette Sisko
2
9%
Kathryn Janeway
2
9%
Jonathan Beckett Archer
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 22
User avatar
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Eighthours » Wed May 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Ad7 wrote:The mrs is out tonight...which means....

I get to watch that Shatner captains film :fp: :lol:


Let us know what you think of the Avery Brooks segments. Guy be mental, yo.

User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Somebody Else's Problem » Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Eighthours wrote:
Ad7 wrote:The mrs is out tonight...which means....

I get to watch that Shatner captains film :fp: :lol:


Let us know what you think of the Avery Brooks segments. Guy be mental, yo.


I saw that a while ago. Guy's completely flipped.

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Ad7 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm

strawberry float me Shatnr, let Patrick finish the questions you're asking him ffs :roll:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Cuttooth » Tue May 29, 2012 12:01 am

If a transporter retains a copy of a person every time they use it, why does anyone need to die on away missions?

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Lagamorph » Tue May 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Cuttooth wrote:If a transporter retains a copy of a person every time they use it, why does anyone need to die on away missions?

Transporters don't work that way.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Mogster
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Mogster » Tue May 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:If a transporter retains a copy of a person every time they use it, why does anyone need to die on away missions?

Transporters don't work that way.

Indeed. There is a pattern buffer that temporarily stores the transported person's, well, pattern, but that buffered pattern becomes the real thing once they're re-materialised. It's not a copy of the person, it actually is the person.

I'm Let's Playing my way through the Tomb Raider series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JevanMoss
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Lagamorph » Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Mogster wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:If a transporter retains a copy of a person every time they use it, why does anyone need to die on away missions?

Transporters don't work that way.

Indeed. There is a pattern buffer that temporarily stores the transported person's, well, pattern, but that buffered pattern becomes the real thing once they're re-materialised. It's not a copy of the person, it actually is the person.

And if they aren't re-materialised fast enough the pattern quickly degrades and is lost forever. You're talking maybe 1-2 minutes at max that a pattern can be stored safely, after that it starts degrading and if it degrades by anything more than about 15-20% then the person is basically dead as there isn't enough information to reconstruct them.
The only exception to this was Montgomery Scott finding a way to suspend himself in a Transporter buffer for decades.


Can you tell I bought the Star Trek Fact Files when I was a kid? I still have tons of the binders at my parents house.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Mogster
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Mogster » Tue May 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Can you tell I bought the Star Trek Fact Files when I was a kid? I still have tons of the binders at my parents house.

I got those! I got bloody loads of the things though, although my brother went one better by sticking it out for the whole lot. They were pretty awesome really.

I'm Let's Playing my way through the Tomb Raider series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JevanMoss
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Lagamorph » Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Mogster wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Can you tell I bought the Star Trek Fact Files when I was a kid? I still have tons of the binders at my parents house.

I got those! I got bloody loads of the things though, although my brother went one better by sticking it out for the whole lot. They were pretty awesome really.

I loved the way they were written as if they were actually from the Star Trek universe and everything in them was real :wub:

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Mogster
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Mogster » Tue May 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Mogster wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Can you tell I bought the Star Trek Fact Files when I was a kid? I still have tons of the binders at my parents house.

I got those! I got bloody loads of the things though, although my brother went one better by sticking it out for the whole lot. They were pretty awesome really.

I loved the way they were written as if they were actually from the Star Trek universe and everything in them was real :wub:

Yup. I always thought the episode guides were a bit out of place in that respect, although they were great too. :wub:

I was obsessed with the ships at the time, so my favourite bits were always the ship diagrams, bridge layouts and stuff. Thinking back though I think the writers were getting pretty desperate for subjects towards the end, with all sorts of minor characters and tech getting dedicated articles. Can't fault them for being completists I guess!

I'm Let's Playing my way through the Tomb Raider series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JevanMoss
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by TheTurnipKing » Thu May 31, 2012 8:00 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Eighthours wrote:
Ad7 wrote:The mrs is out tonight...which means....

I get to watch that Shatner captains film :fp: :lol:


Let us know what you think of the Avery Brooks segments. Guy be mental, yo.


I saw that a while ago. Guy's completely flipped.

If someone were to tell me that all the talk of prophets, angels and bullshit that turned up in DS9 were simply Avery Brooks ad-libbing and the normal Trek-writers working around him, I don't think I'd disbelieve it.

It would also go a long way to explaining why Star Trek fell off a cliff after he left.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Lagamorph » Thu May 31, 2012 9:19 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Eighthours wrote:
Ad7 wrote:The mrs is out tonight...which means....

I get to watch that Shatner captains film :fp: :lol:


Let us know what you think of the Avery Brooks segments. Guy be mental, yo.


I saw that a while ago. Guy's completely flipped.

If someone were to tell me that all the talk of prophets, angels and bullshit that turned up in DS9 were simply Avery Brooks ad-libbing and the normal Trek-writers working around him, I don't think I'd disbelieve it.

It would also go a long way to explaining why Star Trek fell off a cliff after he left.

By ironically falling off a cliff.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Hexx » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:04 pm



:wub:

It's never going to happen, but a proper DS9 remaster would amazing

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Lagamorph » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 pm

DS9 is a lot harder to remaster than TNG unfortunately.
TNG was almost all model shots, whilst DS9 used a lot of CG for space shots, so you would basically have to re-do all of it which would make it cost way more than it was worth to do it.

Voyager has the same issue really.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rightey, suzzopher, Tineash and 37 guests