The Star Trek Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

What is the best Star Trek series (2020 version of poll)?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:46 pm

The Original Series
1
7%
Next Generation
7
50%
Deep Space 9
3
21%
Voyager
2
14%
Enterprise
0
No votes
Discovery
1
7%
Picard
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 14
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 pm

Just watched all of Lower Decks and yep people are right, the start is a little shaky but from then on it's genuinely fantastic. The finale was probably the best bit of new Trek I've experienced in years!

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:44 am

Been plowing onwards with Season 2 of TOS and it's still mostly good. Some definite trends though.

There's a few Prime Directive violation episodes involving Starfleet captains or crew going rogue.
Too many "this planet is just like that period in earth history" episodes (Nazis, 20's Gangsters, 60's Earth but with Romans). I can understand why (They would use whatever sets were available and write episodes around them) but it's a bit tiring after a while.

Still enjoying it overall and there are some really good episodes in there.

Starting season 3 tomorrow which by all accounts is a bit :dread:

Mostly though I'm looking forward to finally getting through them all and moving onto the movies.

Jenuall wrote:Just watched all of Lower Decks and yep people are right, the start is a little shaky but from then on it's genuinely fantastic. The finale was probably the best bit of new Trek I've experienced in years!

They had a long road getting from there to here alright.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Jenuall » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 am

ISWYDT

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Lagamorph » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:54 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Been plowing onwards with Season 2 of TOS and it's still mostly good. Some definite trends though.

There's a few Prime Directive violation episodes involving Starfleet captains or crew going rogue.
Too many "this planet is just like that period in earth history" episodes (Nazis, 20's Gangsters, 60's Earth but with Romans). I can understand why (They would use whatever sets were available and write episodes around them) but it's a bit tiring after a while.

Still enjoying it overall and there are some really good episodes in there.

Starting season 3 tomorrow which by all accounts is a bit :dread:

Mostly though I'm looking forward to finally getting through them all and moving onto the movies.

Jenuall wrote:Just watched all of Lower Decks and yep people are right, the start is a little shaky but from then on it's genuinely fantastic. The finale was probably the best bit of new Trek I've experienced in years!

They had a long road getting from there to here alright.

Don't skip the original Star Trek cartoon, it's basically TOS Season 4.

It has some weird episodes, like the one where Kirk and Spock meet Satan and get magic powers, but some pretty decent episodes as well, the first one is a really good TOS story. Because it's animation they can do a lot more alien looking stuff too that they didn't have the budget for in live action.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:59 am

Lagamorph wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Been plowing onwards with Season 2 of TOS and it's still mostly good. Some definite trends though.

There's a few Prime Directive violation episodes involving Starfleet captains or crew going rogue.
Too many "this planet is just like that period in earth history" episodes (Nazis, 20's Gangsters, 60's Earth but with Romans). I can understand why (They would use whatever sets were available and write episodes around them) but it's a bit tiring after a while.

Still enjoying it overall and there are some really good episodes in there.

Starting season 3 tomorrow which by all accounts is a bit :dread:

Mostly though I'm looking forward to finally getting through them all and moving onto the movies.

Jenuall wrote:Just watched all of Lower Decks and yep people are right, the start is a little shaky but from then on it's genuinely fantastic. The finale was probably the best bit of new Trek I've experienced in years!

They had a long road getting from there to here alright.

Don't skip the original Star Trek cartoon, it's basically TOS Season 4.

It has some weird episodes, like the one where Kirk and Spock meet Satan and get magic powers, but some pretty decent episodes as well, the first one is a really good TOS story. Because it's animation they can do a lot more alien looking stuff too that they didn't have the budget for in live action.


I was thinking about watching TAS. I'll probably give it a shot.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Corazon de Leon » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 am

We’ve just started a kind of simultaneous rewatch of TOS, DS9 and Enterprise(well, I caught my first two enterprise episodes at the weekend anyway). Is it just me or does Enterprise genuinely feel a bit like NCIS in space? gooseberry fool (but very watchable) early ‘00s melodrama.

Image
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Zilnad » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:20 am

Loved the Harry Mudd character in the episode I watched last night. So gloriously over the top.

User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Somebody Else's Presents » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 am

twitter.com/Nimmo1492/status/1361955572380278785


Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04 am

Zilnad wrote:Loved the Harry Mudd character in the episode I watched last night. So gloriously over the top.

"Mudds Women" is so ridiculously "of its time". You simply couldn't do it these days.

"I, Mudd" is a fun little episode that's aged far better and I'd say is the much better of the two TOS episodes I've seen him in.

Just started Season 3 with the classic "Spock's Brain" :lol:

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Squinty » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Spock's Brain. Good lord.

User avatar
Imrahil
Member
Joined in 2013
Location: Location, Location

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Imrahil » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:36 pm

Not as good as Spock's Helmet:

Image

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Jenuall » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:58 pm

I loved that the helmet made an appearance in Lower Decks:

Image

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 am

Imrahil wrote:Not as good as Spock's Helmet:

Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: Never notice the helmet turn up in Lower Decks either. :lol:

Spock's Brain wasn't actually too bad. I mean it was bad, but it was still entertaining to see just how bad it was.

The parts where McCoy had set up a remote control for his body, so they're slowly wandering his empty body around. :lol:

It was utter nonsense, but reasonably entertaining nonsense.

Followed it up with "The Enterprise Incident" that was actually quite good. Kirk goes off book and takes the Enterprise into the Neutral Zone where they encounter Romulans with new cloaking tech.
Predictable enough, but that's mostly because a lot of TOS episodes have been imitated and reworked over time. These were the first ones to do the concepts.

Looking forward to the episode where the Enterprise has to take on some Space Hippies.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Cheeky Devlin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 am

Got a projector for the living room a few weeks back. Tonight I decided I was fed up waiting to get through TOS before watching the movies and so stuck on "The Motion Picture".

It's slow, ponderous and has huge stretches of not very much happening, but I still mostly enjoyed it. Part of me quite liked the slowness of it. Modern movies are so fast in how they play out that it's actually quite nice to have something that doesn't fly through the plot.

It's very much an extended episode of the show, but you can tell that a huge portion of the budget was spent on the effects and models used (I think they re-used large amounts of model shots in subsequent movies). It's visually stunning, though the famously masturbatory Enterprise reveal scene does go on a touch too long.

Having it on the projector definitely helps with the spectacle of it.

It's quite telling that when the credits roll the first three names listed are Effect Supervisors.

So yeah it's not a movie you'll rush back and watch multiple times, but I do think it's decent enough if you can handle the slow pace.

Looking forward to Wrath of Khan though. :wub:

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Squinty » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:11 am

The first movie is rubbish. It would have made an okay 45 minute episode. You can tell what movie influenced the slow and ponderous special FX sections (*cough*2001*cough*).

User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Somebody Else's Presents » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:42 am

Squinty wrote:The first movie is rubbish. It would have made an okay 45 minute episode. You can tell what movie influenced the slow and ponderous special FX sections (*cough*2001*cough*).


It was originally written as a "Star Trek: Phase II" episode. Then Star Wars happened, and Paramount wanted a big sci-fi movie.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 am

Finished Nemesis, and so all the pre-reboot movies.

Definitive ranking:

First Contact>Wrath of Khan>Undiscovered Country>Journey Home>Generations>Nemesis>Search for Spock>Insurrection>Motion Picture>Final Frontier

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Cuttooth » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 am

Insurrection wasn't that bad was it?

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:38 am

It was just incredibly dull. Like, second only to the Motion Picture. Nothing of any strawberry floating consequence happens for the entire film. It's a middling Voyager episode expanded to a film.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Trek Thread
by Jenuall » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am

Which is the one with the Picard clone again, is that Nemesis or Insurrection? Whichever one it was that was a bad movie. :dread:


Return to “Stuff”