The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:17 pm

It's essential if you want to understand who Ahsoka and Thrawn are as characters beyond being randos who turned up or got mentioned and everyone went crazy over them, yeah.

If you're not bothered, they'll probably turn up in Ahsoka's show anyway, with enough exposition to clue viewers in.

But the shows are worth watching because they're good, and they have great characters who so far haven't haven't showed up elsewhere - Hondo, Cad Bane, Rex, Bendu, the crew of the Ghost, etc. They made Darth Maul and the Clones solidly interesting characters, and made the Force more magical again. Plus, the action is usually pretty solid.

Rebels' only real failure was Yoda. They did ma boi wrong, made him look like a Fisher Price dildo or something.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Dual » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 pm

Moggy wrote:

twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1342194698568433665



:lol:


Can't be the only actor on star wars who thinks it's a load of crap.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:44 pm

John Boyega probably does. Can't imagine that Mark Hamill cares that deeply about the minutiae, either.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Pancake » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:07 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:Clone Wars (episode order if you're looking for seasons 1-3 to make sense) and Rebels, ideally. Both are good and fun, but also deal with some pretty dark and adult themes, and are all you'll need in terms of lore catch-up.

Ok, cool... This is going to take me some time isn't it? :lol:

I think I should though because there are things that make absolutely no sense to me, such as Darth Maul appearing in Solo.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:29 pm

Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Clone Wars (episode order if you're looking for seasons 1-3 to make sense) and Rebels, ideally. Both are good and fun, but also deal with some pretty dark and adult themes, and are all you'll need in terms of lore catch-up.

Ok, cool... This is going to take me some time isn't it? :lol:

I think I should though because there are things that make absolutely no sense to me, such as Darth Maul appearing in Solo.


Depends how much free time you've got and how willing you are to binge. :slol: Seven seasons of Clone Wars (or 6 since 6 & 7 add up to one regular length season), four of Rebels. You'll be busy for a while - time it right and you'll not be short on viewing material this side of Mando season 3. :toot:

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Mafro » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:It's essential if you want to understand who Ahsoka and Thrawn are as characters beyond being randos who turned up or got mentioned and everyone went crazy over them, yeah.

If you're not bothered, they'll probably turn up in Ahsoka's show anyway, with enough exposition to clue viewers in.

But the shows are worth watching because they're good, and they have great characters who so far haven't haven't showed up elsewhere - Hondo, Cad Bane, Rex, Bendu, the crew of the Ghost, etc. They made Darth Maul and the Clones solidly interesting characters, and made the Force more magical again. Plus, the action is usually pretty solid.

Rebels' only real failure was Yoda. They did ma boi wrong, made him look like a Fisher Price dildo or something.

It's absolutely not essential to have watched all that, I hate that gatekeeping crap. I didn't have time to watch 80billion episodes of two kids shows to know who Ahsoka was so I just read a wiki(already knew she was a character that already existed in other media, but I didn't know her full backstory). Already knew about Thrawn from the previous Expanded Universe stuff (Rogue Squadron and the books etc.) way before Clone Wars and Rebels was even a thing. I'm assuming in this continuity he's just the same character with the same motivations.

It's perfectly watchable without knowing the history of those characters beforehand.

Dual wrote:
Moggy wrote:

twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1342194698568433665



:lol:


Can't be the only actor on star wars who thinks it's a load of crap.

John Boyega doesn't even try to hide how much he can't stand it after how Rise of Skywalker turned out :lol:

Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Clone Wars (episode order if you're looking for seasons 1-3 to make sense) and Rebels, ideally. Both are good and fun, but also deal with some pretty dark and adult themes, and are all you'll need in terms of lore catch-up.

Ok, cool... This is going to take me some time isn't it? :lol:

I think I should though because there are things that make absolutely no sense to me, such as Darth Maul appearing in Solo.

You'll be absolutely fine with just the basic knowledge of some of the characters that turn up.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:58 am

Mafro wrote:It's absolutely not essential to have watched all that, I hate that gatekeeping crap. I didn't have time to watch 80billion episodes of two kids shows to know who Ahsoka was so I just read a wiki(already knew she was a character that already existed in other media, but I didn't know her full backstory). Already knew about Thrawn from the previous Expanded Universe stuff (Rogue Squadron and the books etc.) way before Clone Wars and Rebels was even a thing. I'm assuming in this continuity he's just the same character with the same motivations.

It's perfectly watchable without knowing the history of those characters beforehand.


I didn't mean to Gatekeep, I apologize for that. Mandalorian is definitely very watchable without having any prior knowledge of the cameo cast, but it is also true that those cameo characters will mean little to those who haven't taken in the media they were introduced in; Cobb Vanth means absolutely nothing to me, for example, but apparently he's a big character from the Aftermath books, who people with experience of them got all excited about.

Wikis have all the information you need, and if you're not willing or able to watch the shows (and I know time is a precious commodity), then they're a fine resource to dip into.

For me though, they're very dry - good for an overview of events and character histories, but incapable of conveying the performances of the actors (Ashley Eckstein is a fantastic voice actor), or of giving you character development that you can only get by watching them over several seasons. You won't develop emotional attachments to characters, and you miss out on a lot of tense, touching and cool moments.

TL;DR Wiki catch-ups and watching the shows are radically different experiences, so to those with the time and inclination, I will always recommend the shows as essential viewing (for getting to know key characters and events) over and above the Wiki. I'm sure that there are lists of essential episodes to watch that you can find on Google, for those of you who have limited time but retain an inclination to watch at least some of the shows.

Also, the old expanded universe Thrawn stuff was retconned; he's essentially the same man still, but the new books and Rebels gave him a new story. It's honestly just really cool to see Thrawn on-screen instead of in my imagination. Lars Mikkelsen may be reprising the role for the Ahsoka show, which would be amazing.

User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by sawyerpip » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 am

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Mandalorian and haven't seen any of the Clone Wars or Rebels (although I want to get around to watching them at some point). There are a lot of characters that pop up but generally Mando doesn't know any of them himself, so it's not like there's any implied knowledge on behalf of the viewer. Obviously you would probably get more out of the show if you knew some of these characters and are excited to see them on screen, but you can follow the show fine without it.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Pancake » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:42 pm

sawyerpip wrote:Yeah, I really enjoyed the Mandalorian and haven't seen any of the Clone Wars or Rebels (although I want to get around to watching them at some point). There are a lot of characters that pop up but generally Mando doesn't know any of them himself, so it's not like there's any implied knowledge on behalf of the viewer. Obviously you would probably get more out of the show if you knew some of these characters and are excited to see them on screen, but you can follow the show fine without it.

This is of course true, I am enjoying it immensely without any knowledge of the extended universe and it certainly isn't necessary, but as an example:

When Ahsoka Tano turns up in chapter 13, I was quite confused because from the original trilogy I had assumed there were no other Jedi during this period.


I found that a bit jarring so would rather know the back story a bit.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Return_of_the_STAR » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:50 pm

Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:Yeah, I really enjoyed the Mandalorian and haven't seen any of the Clone Wars or Rebels (although I want to get around to watching them at some point). There are a lot of characters that pop up but generally Mando doesn't know any of them himself, so it's not like there's any implied knowledge on behalf of the viewer. Obviously you would probably get more out of the show if you knew some of these characters and are excited to see them on screen, but you can follow the show fine without it.

This is of course true, I am enjoying it immensely without any knowledge of the extended universe and it certainly isn't necessary, but as an example:

When Ahsoka Tano turns up in chapter 13, I was quite confused because from the original trilogy I had assumed there were no other Jedi during this period.


I found that a bit jarring so would rather know the back story a bit.


Yes this is true. I haven’t really watched a lot of clone wars or rebels so do not know many of the characters. I was of course aware of Ahsoka and have done some reading around her backstory however most casual viewers won’t.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 pm

Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:Yeah, I really enjoyed the Mandalorian and haven't seen any of the Clone Wars or Rebels (although I want to get around to watching them at some point). There are a lot of characters that pop up but generally Mando doesn't know any of them himself, so it's not like there's any implied knowledge on behalf of the viewer. Obviously you would probably get more out of the show if you knew some of these characters and are excited to see them on screen, but you can follow the show fine without it.

This is of course true, I am enjoying it immensely without any knowledge of the extended universe and it certainly isn't necessary, but as an example:

When Ahsoka Tano turns up in chapter 13, I was quite confused because from the original trilogy I had assumed there were no other Jedi during this period.


I found that a bit jarring so would rather know the back story a bit.


This is something that is addressed directly in the final four episode arc of the Clone Wars' 5th season (episodes 17-20). It is an excellent arc for Ahsoka and well worth a watch. Season 7's closing arc is pertinent to this, too.

I wouldn't use the end of season 5 as a starting point to get into the show, personally, because there are several wonderful arcs in previous seasons, but if you're looking for a specific answer and don't care to watch the rest, that's your target.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Pancake » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks guys :wub:

Given how much I have enjoyed The Mandalorian, I figure it's worth giving Clone Wars a bash from the beginning.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by OrangeRKN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Rule number one of the Star Wars EU: There are always more Jedi

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:15 pm

Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:Thanks guys :wub:

Given how much I have enjoyed The Mandalorian, I figure it's worth giving Clone Wars a bash from the beginning.


Seasons 1 and 2 are a straight up mess - totally out of order for no apparent reason. I previously linked to the official chronological order, which makes everything make sense and prevents certain characters from returning from the dead at random.

If you find yourself enjoying it without, well, I didn't use it either, but for story clarity's sake, things will make more sense with it.

User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by sawyerpip » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:Yeah, I really enjoyed the Mandalorian and haven't seen any of the Clone Wars or Rebels (although I want to get around to watching them at some point). There are a lot of characters that pop up but generally Mando doesn't know any of them himself, so it's not like there's any implied knowledge on behalf of the viewer. Obviously you would probably get more out of the show if you knew some of these characters and are excited to see them on screen, but you can follow the show fine without it.

This is of course true, I am enjoying it immensely without any knowledge of the extended universe and it certainly isn't necessary, but as an example:

When Ahsoka Tano turns up in chapter 13, I was quite confused because from the original trilogy I had assumed there were no other Jedi during this period.


I found that a bit jarring so would rather know the back story a bit.


Yeah that's a completely fair point, while I haven't watched Clone Wars I do have some knowledge of things so I had at least heard of Ahsoka. I guess if the films are your only knowledge then some questions will get raised here and there.

As much as I love some of the references and links to the wider Star Wars stories, I think the show really shines when it dives into the Western/Samurai feel of Mando doing his own thing. I think I'm perhaps in the minority but I wouldn't mind more episodes with a 'monster of the week' format, rather than it needing to have an ongoing story between every episode.

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by DarkRula » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:32 pm

And also don't forget that Revival is meant to be a part of the season 5 Mandalore arc, rather than the season opener.

The Expanded Universe was always going to be a mess, and I think the thing that proved it was the plans for the Death Star. There were so many people involved in what was such a simple thing that it felt like everyone in the universe had at one point touched those plans. How the world rejoiced when Rogue One gave us the definitive answer that absolutely cannot be changed without retconning that entire series of events.

Image
Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:20 am

DarkRula wrote:And also don't forget that Revival is meant to be a part of the season 5 Mandalore arc, rather than the season opener.


Oh gooseberry fool, I didn't spot that, I thought it was smooth sailing by then. :slol: Still, for the most part, it is.

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Wedgie » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:41 am

I would say that if you really want to know Thrawn better, I would read Timothy Zahn’s books (especially the discarded expanded universe series.)

As you’ll see that Thrawn is absolutely opposite of Darth Vader. Thrawn demands/pays loyalty and respect to his crew while Darth Vader use fear to control his crew. I don’t think Rebels did a good telling of Thrawn’s character like Zahn does.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:02 am

Zahn has a whole new series of Thrawn books, dude. You don't need the old ones anymore. But yeah, he's not in Rebels enough to know him properly - like many cool villains, like Admiral Trench, Cad Bane, Count Vidian, Moff Gideon, etc., I suppose.

We seldom have villains who receive truly significant screen time, which is one metric by which books will always excel over other media formats, I guess. It was still cool to see him, though.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Pancake » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:17 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:Thanks guys :wub:

Given how much I have enjoyed The Mandalorian, I figure it's worth giving Clone Wars a bash from the beginning.


Seasons 1 and 2 are a straight up mess - totally out of order for no apparent reason. I previously linked to the official chronological order, which makes everything make sense and prevents certain characters from returning from the dead at random.

If you find yourself enjoying it without, well, I didn't use it either, but for story clarity's sake, things will make more sense with it.

So would you recommend watching seasons 1 and 2 in that order or just using the guide as a reference? Why would they make it so unnecessarily complicated? :?


Return to “Stuff”