The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Moggy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 am

Jenuall wrote:"Ah, a no spoilers Star Wars thread, I'll be safe to come in here having not watched the last few movies!" :toot:

:shock:

Oh well, sounds like TLJ and Solo were gooseberry fool anyway!


“I have not bothered watching the last few movies but I’m disgusted that people are talking about them over a year after the last movie was released!”

;)

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Jenuall » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am

Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:"Ah, a no spoilers Star Wars thread, I'll be safe to come in here having not watched the last few movies!" :toot:

:shock:

Oh well, sounds like TLJ and Solo were gooseberry fool anyway!


“I have not bothered watching the last few movies but I’m disgusted that people are talking about them over a year after the last movie was released!”

;)

To be fair Solo is less than a year old.

I've no issue with people talking about the movies, but if the thread is explicitly called *NO SPOILERS* then I don't think its to harsh to expect, y'know - no spoilers!

ImageImage
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Moggy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am

Jenuall wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:"Ah, a no spoilers Star Wars thread, I'll be safe to come in here having not watched the last few movies!" :toot:

:shock:

Oh well, sounds like TLJ and Solo were gooseberry fool anyway!


“I have not bothered watching the last few movies but I’m disgusted that people are talking about them over a year after the last movie was released!”

;)

To be fair Solo is less than a year old.

I've no issue with people talking about the movies, but if the thread is explicitly called *NO SPOILERS* then I don't think its to harsh to expect, y'know - no spoilers!


I’m only kidding, I just wanted to break up the Taff/Hexx flirtfest.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:35 am

Jenuall wrote:"Ah, a no spoilers Star Wars thread, I'll be safe to come in here having not watched the last few movies!" :toot:

:shock:

Oh well, sounds like TLJ and Solo were gooseberry fool anyway!


I enjoyed them both thoroughly, you just have to watch them.

Anyway, whenever we have a spoilery SW thread, it always dies a death.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Jenuall » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:39 am

Hexx wrote:Oh sorry Jenny. I assumed that was upcoming/new releases

In all honesty I'd had various elements of TLJ spoiled for me by now anyway - it is my own fault for being very slow at watching stuff!

Just this weekend I was having a conversation with a friend off the back of the new trailer and despite me saying very clearly "I have not seen TLJ yet" he still blabbed some key stuff! :lol:

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Jenuall wrote:"Ah, a no spoilers Star Wars thread, I'll be safe to come in here having not watched the last few movies!" :toot:

:shock:

Oh well, sounds like TLJ and Solo were gooseberry fool anyway!


I enjoyed them both thoroughly, you just have to watch them.

Anyway, whenever we have a spoilery SW thread, it always dies a death.


They're both still on my list so I will definitely get to them, I just don't have much time for movies at the moment - I've been trying to catch up on the Marvel stuff for about 6 months and still I'm about 4 films behind! :fp:

Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:"Ah, a no spoilers Star Wars thread, I'll be safe to come in here having not watched the last few movies!" :toot:

:shock:

Oh well, sounds like TLJ and Solo were gooseberry fool anyway!


“I have not bothered watching the last few movies but I’m disgusted that people are talking about them over a year after the last movie was released!”

;)

To be fair Solo is less than a year old.

I've no issue with people talking about the movies, but if the thread is explicitly called *NO SPOILERS* then I don't think its to harsh to expect, y'know - no spoilers!


I’m only kidding, I just wanted to break up the Taff/Hexx flirtfest.

Haha, good point - anything to break that gooseberry fool up! :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Poser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:"Ah, a no spoilers Star Wars thread, I'll be safe to come in here having not watched the last few movies!" :toot:

:shock:

Oh well, sounds like TLJ and Solo were gooseberry fool anyway!


“I have not bothered watching the last few movies but I’m disgusted that people are talking about them over a year after the last movie was released!”

;)

To be fair Solo is less than a year old.

I've no issue with people talking about the movies, but if the thread is explicitly called *NO SPOILERS* then I don't think its to harsh to expect, y'know - no spoilers!


I got railed on for making a similar request previously. No spoilers should mean no spoilers. Spoilery threads do exist:

t:star-wars-the-last-jedi-discussion-thread----spoilers-inside-?f=7

Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by The Watching Artist » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 pm

suzzopher wrote:Cue
Mafro: See any Naughty Dog game

He's not exactly wrong. :shifty:

Not really got the energy or time to get into another TLJ battle but I will say one thing....

"Godspeed"

:dread: :dread: :dread:

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Pedz » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:13 pm

There were problems with the film, but the thing for me is I simply didn't enjoy and found it boring, tbh. I enjoyed TFA more. It was simply more enjoyable for me

ImageImage
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Hexx » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:17 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:
suzzopher wrote:Cue
Mafro: See any Naughty Dog game

He's not exactly wrong. :shifty:

Not really got the energy or time to get into another TLJ battle but I will say one thing....

"Godspeed"

:dread: :dread: :dread:


Oh I forgot that :lol:

What's going to be amazing is the TLJ fanboys losing their gooseberry fool when/if RoS chucks all the gooseberry fool/conversational/things that made TLJ great [delete as you feel appropriate]

What's that? A you've got a problem with a film chucking out established narratives, directional of travel, storybeats and arcs?

Image

User avatar
Call and Answer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Call and Answer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Hexx wrote:And if you think Kylo's an effective villain there might actually be no hope you [Love you really]. (He's potentially an interesting character...but he's a pathetic villain. No wonder (Episode IX trailer spoiler) They're bringing back the Emporer)


I liked Kylo Ren in both TFA and TLJ. It's a character I think of as "Anakin done properly" - I always felt like the prequels were trying to force audiences to like Anakin so the inevitable descent would be more impactful, but in trying to push that connection (alongside some abrupt and clumsily handled character developments) he appears hollow. With Ren, the films simply ask you to watch. Watch him fail. Watch the world laugh at him. Watch a scared confused young man, hurt by those he loved and lashing out in response. Adam Driver puts an awful lot of humanity into that role, and the emotional instability he displays makes him an excellent villain.

In my eyes anyhow.

Douglas Adams wrote:I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Mafro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Hexx wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
suzzopher wrote:Cue
Mafro: See any Naughty Dog game

He's not exactly wrong. :shifty:

Not really got the energy or time to get into another TLJ battle but I will say one thing....

"Godspeed"

:dread: :dread: :dread:


Oh I forgot that :lol:

What's going to be amazing is the TLJ fanboys losing their gooseberry fool when/if RoS chucks all the gooseberry fool/conversational/things that made TLJ great [delete as you feel appropriate]

What's that? A you've got a problem with a film chucking out established narratives, directional of travel, storybeats and arcs?

Image

That sounds like what you've done with TLJ tho lol

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by DarkRula » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm

And Celebration has ended, with it next year heading to Anaheim.

It's been good to watch everything happening, and a lot of great stuff came from it. Lots of community spirit on show, and you can tell that everyone loves it.

I still want to go to one sometime, but Anaheim likely isn't seeing me there.

Image
Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Which Anaheim?

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Ad7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 pm

Aneheim Skywalker

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by DarkRula » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 am

California. Where the Disneyland and Galaxy's Edge are.

Image
Image
User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by LewisD » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am

DarkRula wrote:California. Where the Disneyland and Galaxy's Edge Mighty Ducks are


Fixed that for you mate.
Y'all acting like Gordon Bombay never existed... Jesus Christ. :roll:

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by DarkRula » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I wasn't thinking about the sighseeing opportunities or the history, just the Star Wars.

Image
Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by The Watching Artist » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Call and Answer wrote:It's a character I think of as "Anakin done properly"

Not sure I really agree here but I get your point. Anakin is someone trying to not succumb to his aggressive urges. But is someone plagued by a fear of loss and his inability to control the destinies of those things. His arrogance is also fueled by those around him telling him he is special, his talents far exceed his maturity. He gradually becomes lost as a Jedi as he repeatedly fails to let go of his possessions and the fear of loosing them eventually destroys him. Its still all done it prequel clumsiness but there is still a lot going on actually, oh and if you ever watch The Clone Wars TV series you'll discover his controlling nature also informs his political ideas. And what is it at the end which redeems him in RotJ? His love for and fear of loosing his son.

Kylo on the other hand.... well he is actually the other way round. He is a someone trying very hard to be the bad guy. Fighting against the urge to do the right thing. It's actually quite fascinating and probably the most interesting thing about TFA. However his character (for me anyway) has a massive hole in it. In that I simply don't understand why he is motivated to do this and without that he comes off as a moody teenager just rebelling against what he is told to do.

Adam Driver is by a country mile the best of the new bunch though. Credit to him because otherwise the part would have fallen on its arse.

Hexx wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:"Godspeed"

:dread: :dread: :dread:


Oh I forgot that :lol:

It's a small thing (that actually is a pretty big thing) that I dont think gets mentioned nearly enough. my penis

Image
User avatar
Call and Answer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Call and Answer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:However his character (for me anyway) has a massive hole in it. In that I simply don't understand why he is motivated to do this and without that he comes off as a moody teenager just rebelling against what he is told to do.


I think this specifically is why I compare Anakin and Kylo, they're both moody brats. Fear of their abilities and their place in the world drive both characters, and both respond by lashing out at the hands trying to guide them. I read both turning to the dark side as fairly explicit representations of a teenage goth phase, with all that angst and "you don't understand me" rebellion.

The Watching Artist wrote:Adam Driver is by a country mile the best of the new bunch though. Credit to him because otherwise the part would have fallen on its arse.


Very much agree, which is why for me the similarly structured role of Anakin in the prequel films fell apart with the less capable Hayden Christiansen at the helm.

Douglas Adams wrote:I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by The Watching Artist » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Call and Answer wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:However his character (for me anyway) has a massive hole in it. In that I simply don't understand why he is motivated to do this and without that he comes off as a moody teenager just rebelling against what he is told to do.


I think this specifically is why I compare Anakin and Kylo, they're both moody brats. Fear of their abilities and their place in the world drive both characters, and both respond by lashing out at the hands trying to guide them. I read both turning to the dark side as fairly explicit representations of a teenage goth phase, with all that angst and "you don't understand me" rebellion.

The Watching Artist wrote:Adam Driver is by a country mile the best of the new bunch though. Credit to him because otherwise the part would have fallen on its arse.


Very much agree, which is why for me the similarly structured role of Anakin in the prequel films fell apart with the less capable Hayden Christiansen at the helm.

But you've glossed over the points I made about Anakin. Those are events that are not specific to being a moody teenager, the desire to control/obsess/save loved ones could be at any age. An example- I've recently watched Luther and a central part of his character is dealing with a relationship he cant have. He goes into rages and displays obsessive behaviors towards his ex. He is about 40. Seeking revenge on those who killed his Mother isn't a teenage specific trait either. However I don't think you could stick Idris Elba in AotC and suddenly it would work. I'm not saying HC was great but the way the Padme/Anakin relationship was written was so strawberry floating dire that you could put anyone in that role and it would have been doomed.* But it is at least a clear motivation for the character. He wants to do good because he loves someone and thinks he should be powerful enough to do that. Kylo though.... he wants to be bad because? Because he is teenager?

*a quick thought on what I'd change. Padme would be a little younger and Anakin a little older in TPM. This to avoid the dodgy age stuff going on. :shifty: Padme would not be in charge on Naboo but instead her older sister/mother. Said sister/mother dies near the end of the film and Padme is next in line. Anakin and Padme spend much of the film bonding as kids would do. Maybe young Anakin even helps protect her during the battles. Anakin witnesses the grief Padme goes through. In AotC Anakin and Padme are in a relationship from the start. They have seen each other on and off growing up in between his training and her political duties but this is first time that they cross over. Anakins Mother still dies and he still flips out but because of her own experience and that they are already together it helps them bond and she tries to help him through it. Anakin even says that he wished as a kid he could have helped Padmes Mother/sister. That despite being "the chosen one" he seems to be incapable of helping the ones he cares about. Still probably bollocks but just a thought. The way AotC works as it is is bizarre. Anakin wants to pork Padme. She doesn't want to be porked. He keeps telling her he wants to pork her and shows off his mad apple skills. He butchers a tribe of aliens including the woman and children. THEY PORK. Its strawberry floated up man. No actor is saving that. No one.

Oh and he still says "are you an angel?" but he is talking to a tiny C3PO ontop of a christmas tree

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dangerblade, Denster, Dowbocop, GrinWithoutaKat, Heskimo, Mafro, Parksey, Preezy, Qikz, Tafdolphin and 68 guests