NSFW: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am

:lol:

Image
Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by KK » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:29 pm

"Charlie Brookah" and his comic strip series for CEX, which featured in a number of magazines from 1996 onwards:

Image
Image

A lot of magazines received complaints about these.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Ironhide » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:01 pm

KK wrote:"Charlie Brookah" and his comic strip series for CEX, which featured in a number of magazines from 1996 onwards:

Image
Image

A lot of magazines received complaints about these.


I don't think that's too bad compared to some of the other ads in this thread, its a bit like those smutty cartoon postcards you still see in Spain, they're slightly inappropriate but not to be taken seriously.

Image
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by gaminglegend » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:44 pm

I miss the whole 90s vibe of gaming. Had a certain edge and appeal, almost underground.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Lagamorph » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:18 pm

Image

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by KK » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:53 am

Another one from Charlie Brooker for CEX, Deathtrap Dungeon (which in certain magazines was promoted by a young Kelly Brook as the main character), and a game called Freak Out which I have no recollection of:

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Lagamorph » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:06 am

I have a sudden urge to play Freak Out on PS2.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Ironhide » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 am

Freakout is one of the games of that era that will never be seen again.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:58 am

Incredible that these are real. The freak out one, I mean Ps2 wasn't even that long ago, and surely people knew that wasnt ok then?

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Dual » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 am

Good grief :lol:

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 am

I vividly remember that second CEX one and thinking it was pretty gooseberry fool at the time. Was that *the* Charlie Brooker writing them?

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Knoyleo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:I vividly remember that second CEX one and thinking it was pretty gooseberry fool at the time. Was that *the* Charlie Brooker writing them?

Apparently so..

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/0 ... er-part-2/
“So that was Music and Video Exchange, and a guy ended up going off to set up CEX so I was working there – I did some comic strip adverts for them, because when they found out I was a cartoonist they’d get me to do cartoons for them. And they’d appear in various magazines, and one of them was PC Zone which was based round the corner.

:dread:

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Dual » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:07 pm

Sure he wouldn't be too happy about these cartoons getting dragged up from the past :lol: embarrassing

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Frank » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:25 pm

I knew he used to have a column in one of the PC mags but I had no idea about the comics. Good grief :lol:

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by KK » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Just watched a bit of Freak Out on YouTube. It literally is a platformer about a wandering hand grabbing massive boobs. Guess that won’t be making it to the PS Store any time soon...

Frank wrote:I knew he used to have a column in one of the PC mags but I had no idea about the comics. Good grief :lol:

He was one of PC Zone’s main reviewers throughout the late ‘90s (he reviewed at least 2 of the Tomb Raiders). He may have also been behind “Cruelty Zoo” involving a Dr (that was originally supposed to be Lara Croft, I think) telling kids to butcher animals in various and creative ways that was so controversial WHSmith took the mag off the shelves.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Lagamorph » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:41 pm

Image

Image

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 pm

KK wrote:Just watched a bit of Freak Out on YouTube. It literally is a platformer about a wandering hand grabbing massive boobs. Guess that won’t be making it to the PS Store any time soon...

Frank wrote:I knew he used to have a column in one of the PC mags but I had no idea about the comics. Good grief :lol:

He was one of PC Zone’s main reviewers throughout the late ‘90s (he reviewed at least 2 of the Tomb Raiders). He may have also been behind “Cruelty Zoo” involving a Dr (that was originally supposed to be Lara Croft, I think) telling kids to butcher animals in various and creative ways that was so controversial WHSmith took the mag off the shelves.


Yes, that was him.

Image
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Dual » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:11 pm

The campaign to #cancel Charlie Brooker starts here.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by Dual » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 pm

For the record I've never liked him and always thought he was a bit creepy.

User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Videogame Adverts and Commercials of Yore Thread
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:38 pm

"Gamers" cancelling Charlie Brooker really would be the most "Gamer" thing to do tbf.

Image
Image

Return to “Games”