The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Photek » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Photek wrote:Triss is my lass, turned down Yennifer and it was great. :datass:


Team Triss 4 lyfe. Yen is such a strawberry floating geebag to Geralt. Triss is #1 girl.

Just burst out laughing in the office, not every day you see Dublin slang in grcade. :lol:

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by SugarDave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 pm

triss is pleb tier

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Victor Mildew » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:20 pm

I think I've shagged every woman in the game so far :lol:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by SugarDave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Yen can be belligerent but at least she ultimately wants what is best for Geralt and Ciri, whereas Triss was perfectly happy to gloss over important parts of his past when he had amnesia just to get a bit of dick. It's no surprise she was so eager to get a rose of remembrance, given its later use as a method of enslaving someone to being madly in love with the person who used it.

I can see the argument for ditching both, but Triss is just awful. Pretending to be drunk at that party so Geralt will get off with her, piss off ya tart.

And her voice actress is shite.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Mafro » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 pm

I went with Yen because she was the canon choice.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Photek » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:55 pm

Sugar Dave prefers a dominatrix!

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jenuall » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Yen may be a bit stern, but she's also smoking hot which helps take the edge off!

Triss always just seemed a bit annoying to me.

Finally got round to watching the noclip documentaries on this - makes me really want to have another play through, but I've got about 5 other games on the go at the moment already!

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Victor Mildew » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 am

I've been getting back in to this in little bits over the last week or so. Only getting half an hour here and there so it's tough to get properly immersed but it's so bloody good. Still in Skelliage, just poking around a lighthouse and tower near by and I've come across a boat being built in a forest by a guy being held prisoner by a troll. Nearby I found (by going the opposite way the game was telling me to) a cave with ice trolls and a bloke being cooked in a pot. I've just set him free before I had to stop.

:wub:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by That's not a growth » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:33 am

I started playing this before the heatwave and got about 10 hours into it and quite wanting to get back into it. It's not fully grabbed me, I'm not really a fan of the combat and don't care for crafting, but the story and world are both very compelling.

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Knoyleo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:07 pm

I finally went back to this and started properly, got out of the tutorial area and met Yennefer, and now I'm looking for Ciri, but I'm already feeling under levelled. I'm only just 4, and everything else I've received quest wise is at least 6. I wasn't expecting to have to grind so early on.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Victor Mildew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Just wander about and fight things along the way - there's unmarked quests and points of interest all over the place, so you'll soon level up just by doing that, it doesn't feel like a grind.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by SugarDave » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Knoyleo wrote:I finally went back to this and started properly, got out of the tutorial area and met Yennefer, and now I'm looking for Ciri, but I'm already feeling under levelled. I'm only just 4, and everything else I've received quest wise is at least 6. I wasn't expecting to have to grind so early on.


Don't recall grinding being necessary at all in W3, you should be fine to do a level 6 quest at level 4. As long as the quest title is marked green or white in your journal, it'll be doable.

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Meep » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Personally I thought Shani was infinitely more likeable than either Triss or Yen. Come to think of it, I'm not sure there are many sorceresses or sorcerers in the games that are not habitual liars and manipulators. Even the good ones seem to have a natural inclination towards subterfuge. No wonder the the ordinary people are so quick to tie them up at the stake.

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Knoyleo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Ad7 wrote:Just wander about and fight things along the way - there's unmarked quests and points of interest all over the place, so you'll soon level up just by doing that, it doesn't feel like a grind.

SugarDave wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:I finally went back to this and started properly, got out of the tutorial area and met Yennefer, and now I'm looking for Ciri, but I'm already feeling under levelled. I'm only just 4, and everything else I've received quest wise is at least 6. I wasn't expecting to have to grind so early on.


Don't recall grinding being necessary at all in W3, you should be fine to do a level 6 quest at level 4. As long as the quest title is marked green or white in your journal, it'll be doable.

Cheers for the advice. The next quest I did was an absolute marathon, and took me up about a level and a half, so I'm much closer to the level requirement for the others in my queue.

There's so much to get your head around in this game, but finding it much more enjoyable than W2 so far, which is good.

User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Johnny Ryall » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:13 pm

That's not a growth wrote:I started playing this before the heatwave and got about 10 hours into it and quite wanting to get back into it. It's not fully grabbed me, I'm not really a fan of the combat and don't care for crafting, but the story and world are both very compelling.



I'd take no shame in dropping the difficulty in that case

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Photek » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 am

Getting back into my new game plus in this, level 46. It's really hard because most things are my level or more but I'll battle through. High Framerate mode on X1X really is great, plays silky smooth and looks ridiculously good.

Just wandering about Velen doing side quests.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jenuall » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am

Johnny Ryall wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:I started playing this before the heatwave and got about 10 hours into it and quite wanting to get back into it. It's not fully grabbed me, I'm not really a fan of the combat and don't care for crafting, but the story and world are both very compelling.



I'd take no shame in dropping the difficulty in that case


Yeah if the combat isn't gripping you then drop it down - the real beauty of the game is in the world and story.

That said personally I enjoy the combat and crafting aspects of the game on the higher difficulty as they encourage a much more natural level of actual "role playing" in the game. The world is genuinely dangerous and as a Witcher Geralt's advantage comes not just from his strength but his knowledge of the enemies of the world, the tactics required to face them, which oil is required on his blade to tip the balance in his favour, which signs and potions are most valuable against them etc.

I felt that when the game was harder and required the player to learn these things as Geralt would then it immerses you in the role more as well as lending more weight to the narrative.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:48 am

Meep wrote:Personally I thought Shani was infinitely more likeable than either Triss or Yen. Come to think of it, I'm not sure there are many sorceresses or sorcerers in the games that are not habitual liars and manipulators. Even the good ones seem to have a natural inclination towards subterfuge. No wonder the the ordinary people are so quick to tie them up at the stake.


Shani is the best and I'm still upset my choice at the end of the first game was ignored

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by That's not a growth » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:20 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:I started playing this before the heatwave and got about 10 hours into it and quite wanting to get back into it. It's not fully grabbed me, I'm not really a fan of the combat and don't care for crafting, but the story and world are both very compelling.



I'd take no shame in dropping the difficulty in that case


Yeah if the combat isn't gripping you then drop it down - the real beauty of the game is in the world and story.

That said personally I enjoy the combat and crafting aspects of the game on the higher difficulty as they encourage a much more natural level of actual "role playing" in the game. The world is genuinely dangerous and as a Witcher Geralt's advantage comes not just from his strength but his knowledge of the enemies of the world, the tactics required to face them, which oil is required on his blade to tip the balance in his favour, which signs and potions are most valuable against them etc.

I felt that when the game was harder and required the player to learn these things as Geralt would then it immerses you in the role more as well as lending more weight to the narrative.


That sounds a pretty interesting way to approach it, but I just don't find the actual mechanics for the fighting interesting enough for me to invest that much time into it on the hope there's a tipping point where it clicks more. It's not terrible, but just not as satisfying as other aspects of the game.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jenuall » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:47 am

That's not a growth wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:I started playing this before the heatwave and got about 10 hours into it and quite wanting to get back into it. It's not fully grabbed me, I'm not really a fan of the combat and don't care for crafting, but the story and world are both very compelling.



I'd take no shame in dropping the difficulty in that case


Yeah if the combat isn't gripping you then drop it down - the real beauty of the game is in the world and story.

That said personally I enjoy the combat and crafting aspects of the game on the higher difficulty as they encourage a much more natural level of actual "role playing" in the game. The world is genuinely dangerous and as a Witcher Geralt's advantage comes not just from his strength but his knowledge of the enemies of the world, the tactics required to face them, which oil is required on his blade to tip the balance in his favour, which signs and potions are most valuable against them etc.

I felt that when the game was harder and required the player to learn these things as Geralt would then it immerses you in the role more as well as lending more weight to the narrative.


That sounds a pretty interesting way to approach it, but I just don't find the actual mechanics for the fighting interesting enough for me to invest that much time into it on the hope there's a tipping point where it clicks more. It's not terrible, but just not as satisfying as other aspects of the game.


I appreciate that completely - if it's not an aspect you are enjoying then it makes sense to limit the impact it has on your enjoyment. As you say there are many other things the game does well that it would be a shame for the combat to spoil your experience!

If I ever get the time I'm going to return to this and complete my NG+ run, it's just such a fantastic experience and I think enough time has passed from my first play through now that it would feel fresher again...

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 47 guests