The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Tomous » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Photek wrote:Maybe the switch isn't the best place to play it?

I can get why people may not 'get it' though. It takes its time at the start and it's not like other open world games, it just plays a lot differently and there's far less hand holding or explanations for things. Assasins Creed Odyssey is like a Mario game in comparison to it (in terms of how it tells you where to go, and what to do and giving you tons of moves to unlock)



I have it on PS4. Edit: realised that might have been directed at gaminglegend.

To be honest, I have a lot of open world fatigue this generation so that's probably a big part of it. I don't really have as much time to get absorbed in these types of games these days, so tend to prefer more linear <20-30 hour games.

Image
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by gaminglegend » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:12 pm

[tweet] II[/tweet]
Tomous wrote:
Photek wrote:Maybe the switch isn't the best place to play it?

I can get why people may not 'get it' though. It takes its time at the start and it's not like other open world games, it just plays a lot differently and there's far less hand holding or explanations for things. Assasins Creed Odyssey is like a Mario game in comparison to it (in terms of how it tells you where to go, and what to do and giving you tons of moves to unlock)



I have it on PS4. Edit: realised that might have been directed at gaminglegend.

To be honest, I have a lot of open world fatigue this generation so that's probably a big part of it. I don't really have as much time to get absorbed in these types of games these days, so tend to prefer more linear <20-30 hour games.


I agree it could be that. The idea of Skyrim on the switch hurts my head. I’ve started replaying the VR of that though on PS4 no problem.

I think I’m the same, open world fatigue. Think that’s why I got into the Last of Us 2 so much it’s a wide world but linear

Image
7256930752

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by 7256930752 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:50 pm

Photek wrote:Maybe the switch isn't the best place to play it?

I can get why people may not 'get it' though. It takes its time at the start and it's not like other open world games, it just plays a lot differently and there's far less hand holding or explanations for things. Assasins Creed Odyssey is like a Mario game in comparison to it (in terms of how it tells you where to go, and what to do and giving you tons of moves to unlock)

That's what put me off playing for years but as soon as I started it I was hooked.

The Switch probably isn't the best place to play but having it handheld is such a benefit to me, I do feel like I'm missing out on the graphical side of the game though.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Robbo-92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Finally finished off the other games I was on with so I think a good lot of my gaming time will be getting put into this now :toot:

Still just exploring Velen, just going around ticking off the ? Markers and just doing side quests, really enjoying being back on this though, bought Geralt a new set of armour (a Nilfgaardian set) that is a huge upgrade from the starting one and looks reasonably good as well. Is it actually worthwhile getting all the ? Ticked off? Or should I just focus on the side quests and main quest? My first time through it feels almost right to, on new game + I definitely don’t think I would though (or do they all stay marked off as if you’ve completed them already?). Got myself some side quests for the cat school gear but I’m still a way off the recommended level for those at the minute.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by SugarDave » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Finally finished off the other games I was on with so I think a good lot of my gaming time will be getting put into this now :toot:

Still just exploring Velen, just going around ticking off the ? Markers and just doing side quests, really enjoying being back on this though, bought Geralt a new set of armour (a Nilfgaardian set) that is a huge upgrade from the starting one and looks reasonably good as well. Is it actually worthwhile getting all the ? Ticked off? Or should I just focus on the side quests and main quest? My first time through it feels almost right to, on new game + I definitely don’t think I would though (or do they all stay marked off as if you’ve completed them already?). Got myself some side quests for the cat school gear but I’m still a way off the recommended level for those at the minute.


There's a good chance you'll get burned out if you're going after every last point of interest. You're better off treating them as a minor diversion when you happen to pass them on the way to more substantial quests and contracts. The best equipment in the game will come your way through quests or crafting anyway (such as the cat school gear you mentioned) so it's not as though the loot you're getting from those markers offers anything game-changing.

From what I remember, you'll usually find a small note in those locations so you're at least getting some story and justification for it even being there, but it's ultimately not worth the time trying to consciously cross them all off.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Robbo-92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:24 pm

SugarDave wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Finally finished off the other games I was on with so I think a good lot of my gaming time will be getting put into this now :toot:

Still just exploring Velen, just going around ticking off the ? Markers and just doing side quests, really enjoying being back on this though, bought Geralt a new set of armour (a Nilfgaardian set) that is a huge upgrade from the starting one and looks reasonably good as well. Is it actually worthwhile getting all the ? Ticked off? Or should I just focus on the side quests and main quest? My first time through it feels almost right to, on new game + I definitely don’t think I would though (or do they all stay marked off as if you’ve completed them already?). Got myself some side quests for the cat school gear but I’m still a way off the recommended level for those at the minute.


There's a good chance you'll get burned out if you're going after every last point of interest. You're better off treating them as a minor diversion when you happen to pass them on the way to more substantial quests and contracts. The best equipment in the game will come your way through quests or crafting anyway (such as the cat school gear you mentioned) so it's not as though the loot you're getting from those markers offers anything game-changing.

From what I remember, you'll usually find a small note in those locations so you're at least getting some story and justification for it even being there, but it's ultimately not worth the time trying to consciously cross them all off.


Well I’ll just chip away at them wherever my journey takes me throughout the game then, definitely won’t obsess over ticking them all off then. Re armour sets, do you just find one (for example chest piece for the school of the cat) armour diagram that you then can upgrade? Or do you need to find diagrams of differing levels for the same sets/schools?

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Victor Mildew » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:42 pm

you need to find the full set I think

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Robbo-92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Looking into it I think you need the base set and then find the upgrades for each set, not that’ll it’ll impact myself but looking about the armours I’ve seen varying comments about how it scales with NG+, even if you have the legendary version before starting it.

Currently just finding the Griffin diagrams, although mainly using swords I think the feline/school of the cat gear might be better suited. Might look up a build for pure combat, although I might mix some signs in there as well after I’ve got perks invested As with my numerous playthroughs of Skyrim, I doubt alchemy will get much of a look in as I find it kind of tedious.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by <]:^D » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:08 pm

this was just on SGDQ - they used a bug with slow-mo to play the game in superspeed - it was hilarious

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Robbo-92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Looking at the armour sets you can craft, the school of the cat/bear are probably the best two options for myself, both look pretty neat as well which is always a nice bonus.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jenuall » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:39 pm

From a roleplaying perspective I kept my Geralt in Witcher school armour for the whole game. Cat school was my preferred choice :datass:

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Robbo-92 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:09 am

I wonder why the school of the cat was your preferred option :lol:

Looking into it a little more I’m favouring the school of the bear for now but will probably wait a while longer till I decide which of the two to focus on, need to wear the Skellige armour for a while at least as that looks ace and will hopefully see me through till I know which of the two to opt for.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Robbo-92 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Made a small amount of progress today, those ? are proving a bit too tempting still! I’ve picked up loads of quests in Novigrad now I’ve finally gotten there, going to see Triss then I’ll be cracking on with the side quests I’m not under levelled for, including getting more of the Witcher school gear, although I’m waiting on getting the ursine one before crafting any.

What’s a good build for the bear/ursine armour? I know you can get a potion to reset your perks so it’s not too late to refocus on an actual build rather than just getting random stuff like I currently am :lol:

Edit, found this, https://www.farazjafari.com/witcher-3-tank-build ? Probably wouldn’t copy it perk for perk (alchemy isn’t something I normally take an interest in) but take it something like this is decent enough for the difficulty I’m on (story and sword)?

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Mafro » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:32 am

Free next-gen upgrade coming


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jenuall » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:34 am

So as a PC owner you get a next gen console version as well? Or are they doing anything extra to enhance the PC version further too?

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Victor Mildew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:35 am

The state of the perspective difference between those two cases

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by gamerforever » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:37 am

Mafro wrote:Free next-gen upgrade coming



Nice that its a free upgrade. I wonder what upgrades they will implement - possibly 60fps or graphics like the initial trailer.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jenuall » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:37 am

Victor Mildew wrote:The state of the perspective difference between those two cases

The state of the photoshopping of the cover and title on to the front and side of the case is just pure :dread:

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Photek » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:39 am

Mafro wrote:Free next-gen upgrade coming



Image

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Victor Mildew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 am

Jenuall wrote:
Victor Mildew wrote:The state of the perspective difference between those two cases

The state of the photoshopping of the cover and title on to the front and side of the case is just pure :dread:


The ps5 pegi icon :dread:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chocolate-Milk, Cumberdanes, Fade, Google [Bot], RichardUK, Wrathy and 132 guests