The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Squinty » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:20 am

pjbetman wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:
Qikz wrote:So our strawberry floating idiotic draconian management style has now started to ruin the only part of my job that I enjoyed which was going on site. I'm losing the will to cope with this anymore. It's all based around stupid lunchtimes and they're changing how I've worked at this client for 3 years with not a single complaint. I used to go at 2 or half 2 depending on if I was busy so not only could I avoid everyone else and work on peoples pcs while they went to lunch, it also gave me time away from other people to calm my anxiety down. Now they're saying I either HAVE to go between 12 and 1, or 1 and 2 which changes everything I do and it just makes me more stressed. They hit me that bullshit half way through today after I was already at 1 doing a big software update I couldn't do at any other time and I'm severely pissed off. That isn't the only thing they also started doing this stupid time management thing and some other really ridiculous things we've been fine without for the last 3 and a half years that are all adding up to one massive gooseberry fool sandwich.

I'm not coping anymore, I'm worried I'm going to snap at someone because I'm genuinely feeling so angry right now I just want to cry.

I had this problem in an office job. I started going to lunch at 2-3 because there was just so much work to get done that I was inclined to take my break later than I perhaps should have done. I wasn't convinced (and still am not) this affected anybody or productivity etc.

I actually got authorisation this one time from my line manager to go and take lunch at about 3 or something. When I came back I got tapped on the shoulder and a stern look from two executive managers, telling me that I can't just go for lunch whenever I want. I wanted to explain why and that I had permission that time (was I supposed to just not take lunch at all that day and make myself ill?) but I just welled up and said "Sorry, it won't happen again" and turned to face my screen.

It is oppressive and representative of how inflexible working arrangements can be in office settings for no apparent logical reason. So I do sympathise with you. But if this continues to be a problem you might have to seriously consider your options: (a) pipe up about this and explain your point of view, explain that you take lunch at a different time from other people because it gives you a break from your anxiety, (b) shut the hell up and do what your're told or (c) find another job. It sucks but that's all I can suggest.

Later I worked for a much smaller company and I could take lunch whenever I wanted (although it was only for 30 minutes where I had an our at the last office job). I was there for a year until the company basically wound down and I resigned due to other reasons, but they didn't have bullshit reasons for taking lunch at the exact same time. I also worked another job where it was very apparent you were frowned upon if you didn't eat a sandwich at your desk in 15 minutes and just carry on working. Unfortunately this is a cultural thing driven by management and it won't change unless you change where you are.


It's only flexible if you have a sprog (or one on the way). The favouritism that people with kids get is beyond a joke. I've actually thought about making some up to try and not get overlooked for promotions and stuff.


Seems like that to me as well, but it's necessary really.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:30 am

Squinty wrote:
pjbetman wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:
Qikz wrote:So our strawberry floating idiotic draconian management style has now started to ruin the only part of my job that I enjoyed which was going on site. I'm losing the will to cope with this anymore. It's all based around stupid lunchtimes and they're changing how I've worked at this client for 3 years with not a single complaint. I used to go at 2 or half 2 depending on if I was busy so not only could I avoid everyone else and work on peoples pcs while they went to lunch, it also gave me time away from other people to calm my anxiety down. Now they're saying I either HAVE to go between 12 and 1, or 1 and 2 which changes everything I do and it just makes me more stressed. They hit me that bullshit half way through today after I was already at 1 doing a big software update I couldn't do at any other time and I'm severely pissed off. That isn't the only thing they also started doing this stupid time management thing and some other really ridiculous things we've been fine without for the last 3 and a half years that are all adding up to one massive gooseberry fool sandwich.

I'm not coping anymore, I'm worried I'm going to snap at someone because I'm genuinely feeling so angry right now I just want to cry.

I had this problem in an office job. I started going to lunch at 2-3 because there was just so much work to get done that I was inclined to take my break later than I perhaps should have done. I wasn't convinced (and still am not) this affected anybody or productivity etc.

I actually got authorisation this one time from my line manager to go and take lunch at about 3 or something. When I came back I got tapped on the shoulder and a stern look from two executive managers, telling me that I can't just go for lunch whenever I want. I wanted to explain why and that I had permission that time (was I supposed to just not take lunch at all that day and make myself ill?) but I just welled up and said "Sorry, it won't happen again" and turned to face my screen.

It is oppressive and representative of how inflexible working arrangements can be in office settings for no apparent logical reason. So I do sympathise with you. But if this continues to be a problem you might have to seriously consider your options: (a) pipe up about this and explain your point of view, explain that you take lunch at a different time from other people because it gives you a break from your anxiety, (b) shut the hell up and do what your're told or (c) find another job. It sucks but that's all I can suggest.

Later I worked for a much smaller company and I could take lunch whenever I wanted (although it was only for 30 minutes where I had an our at the last office job). I was there for a year until the company basically wound down and I resigned due to other reasons, but they didn't have bullshit reasons for taking lunch at the exact same time. I also worked another job where it was very apparent you were frowned upon if you didn't eat a sandwich at your desk in 15 minutes and just carry on working. Unfortunately this is a cultural thing driven by management and it won't change unless you change where you are.


It's only flexible if you have a sprog (or one on the way). The favouritism that people with kids get is beyond a joke. I've actually thought about making some up to try and not get overlooked for promotions and stuff.


Seems like that to me as well, but it's necessary really.


It might be necessary, but how about extending their benefits to everyone else? How is it fair that you get tons of extra time off because your baby is spraying gooseberry fool all over the walls all the time. It's not my fault x person had kids. They chose to do that and while I understand they maybe need to work from home if they can't get childcare, but if they're allowed to work from home purely because they have a kid why can't I, who's been in our office much longer not also work from home? It's just simply not fair.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Lagamorph » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:13 am

Even worse is the extra break time smokers get. I've yet to work anywhere that didn't have Smokers going off for both their regular break and then additional smoking breaks, usually at least once or twice per hour.

It was particularly grating way back when I worked on a 1st line Service Desk so everyone was time monitored and supposed to have relatively set break times for the day, yet the smokers would not only go for extra breaks but they'd all piss off together leaving everyone else to pick up the slack.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am

Qikz wrote:
Squinty wrote:
pjbetman wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:
Qikz wrote:So our strawberry floating idiotic draconian management style has now started to ruin the only part of my job that I enjoyed which was going on site. I'm losing the will to cope with this anymore. It's all based around stupid lunchtimes and they're changing how I've worked at this client for 3 years with not a single complaint. I used to go at 2 or half 2 depending on if I was busy so not only could I avoid everyone else and work on peoples pcs while they went to lunch, it also gave me time away from other people to calm my anxiety down. Now they're saying I either HAVE to go between 12 and 1, or 1 and 2 which changes everything I do and it just makes me more stressed. They hit me that bullshit half way through today after I was already at 1 doing a big software update I couldn't do at any other time and I'm severely pissed off. That isn't the only thing they also started doing this stupid time management thing and some other really ridiculous things we've been fine without for the last 3 and a half years that are all adding up to one massive gooseberry fool sandwich.

I'm not coping anymore, I'm worried I'm going to snap at someone because I'm genuinely feeling so angry right now I just want to cry.

I had this problem in an office job. I started going to lunch at 2-3 because there was just so much work to get done that I was inclined to take my break later than I perhaps should have done. I wasn't convinced (and still am not) this affected anybody or productivity etc.

I actually got authorisation this one time from my line manager to go and take lunch at about 3 or something. When I came back I got tapped on the shoulder and a stern look from two executive managers, telling me that I can't just go for lunch whenever I want. I wanted to explain why and that I had permission that time (was I supposed to just not take lunch at all that day and make myself ill?) but I just welled up and said "Sorry, it won't happen again" and turned to face my screen.

It is oppressive and representative of how inflexible working arrangements can be in office settings for no apparent logical reason. So I do sympathise with you. But if this continues to be a problem you might have to seriously consider your options: (a) pipe up about this and explain your point of view, explain that you take lunch at a different time from other people because it gives you a break from your anxiety, (b) shut the hell up and do what your're told or (c) find another job. It sucks but that's all I can suggest.

Later I worked for a much smaller company and I could take lunch whenever I wanted (although it was only for 30 minutes where I had an our at the last office job). I was there for a year until the company basically wound down and I resigned due to other reasons, but they didn't have bullshit reasons for taking lunch at the exact same time. I also worked another job where it was very apparent you were frowned upon if you didn't eat a sandwich at your desk in 15 minutes and just carry on working. Unfortunately this is a cultural thing driven by management and it won't change unless you change where you are.


It's only flexible if you have a sprog (or one on the way). The favouritism that people with kids get is beyond a joke. I've actually thought about making some up to try and not get overlooked for promotions and stuff.


Seems like that to me as well, but it's necessary really.


It might be necessary, but how about extending their benefits to everyone else? How is it fair that you get tons of extra time off because your baby is spraying gooseberry fool all over the walls all the time. It's not my fault x person had kids. They chose to do that and while I understand they maybe need to work from home if they can't get childcare, but if they're allowed to work from home purely because they have a kid why can't I, who's been in our office much longer not also work from home? It's just simply not fair.

Benefits? Don't know about where you guys are working but any time I have to take off to sort stuff out for the kids comes out of my leave - it's not some kind of extra free time! :fp:

The opposite is basically the case in my experience - I get gooseberry fool because I have to rearrange my time to sort stuff out for the kids (often at short notice because they're kids, they don't strawberry floating schedule when they're going to get sick), even though I'm still doing all the hours. Whereas some dick with no family or kids can piss off early because their going to a festival on the weekend or pull a sickie because they've got themselves gooseberry fool faced the night before.

ImageImage
pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by pjbetman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:14 am

Lagamorph wrote:Even worse is the extra break time smokers get. I've yet to work anywhere that didn't have Smokers going off for both their regular break and then additional smoking breaks, usually at least once or twice per hour.

It was particularly grating way back when I worked on a 1st line Service Desk so everyone was time monitored and supposed to have relatively set break times for the day, yet the smokers would not only go for extra breaks but they'd all piss off together leaving everyone else to pick up the slack.



Yeah, that's probably the worst of them all. My last place had a few smokers, mostly management and a few normal staff. It was lost on management that this wasnt fair.
I'd say most smokers were getting 1-1.5 hours per day smoke breaks. Anyway, strawberry float em, the place shut down last year.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:14 am

Regards smoking, it's the same everywhere, despite it being a lifestyle choice it seems to be widely accept to take cigarette breaks as and when on top of the normal lunch break. It's completely bonkers, and like someone mentioned, in some areas, eating at your desk is frowned upon, despite actually being able to work at the same time.

In terms of taking leave to looks after sick children, I mean, who can actually take issue with this? I am yet to have to do this but I would not expect to get any stick for it off my company, nor would I expect to have to take it as leave. It's just part of life.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Tomous » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 am

I’ve mentioned this before when this topic came up but when my mate and I worked at the local pub, half the staff would take 5-10 minute cigarette breaks every hour, so he started taking crisp breaks and would go sit outside and slowly enjoy a packet of crisps :lol:

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Rather than moaning about what other people get, why not make the case for why you should get the same?

Moaning that people have to look after children isn’t going to win you any friends. If you want flexible hours, make the case for it without sounding like you’re just jealous of parents.

If people are having cigarette breaks, then make the case for you to have a coffee/tea/crisp break. Moaning that people are going for a fag again makes you look jealous, just have a break yourself.

All of the above is either there in law or guidelines, for office workers at least.

You are entitled by law to be able to ask for a change in hours (with or without kids): https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working

The HSE recommends a 5-10 minute break every hour if you use a VDU: http://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/breaks.htm

It seems to me that parents/smokers are just better at standing up for themselves and don’t just sit around whining that everything’s sooooooo unfair. ;)

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Yeah fag breaks are an absolute joke, although I can't actually remember the last time I worked on a team with anyone who smoked so it isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

Obviously some jobs require very specific timings, or involve interactions with people where you need to be in the right place at the right time and with the right appearance etc. but for so many things the metric should just be - "Is what needs to be done getting done?" if the answer to that is yes then how people arrange their time/location/habits etc. to achieve it should be of little interest!

ImageImage
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Both my bosses used to take fag breaks, but at least they'd invite us out for a chat too. It was still a bit demoralising, especially since one of them started timing my lunch breaks.

(And I had literally 3 roles within the company so I was hardly sitting on my arse when I was in.)

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Thoughts on walking 1-2-1s? I've done them the last couple of weeks and everyone seems to love them. We stroll around a few of the various buildings (it's a pretty large organisation), take in fresh air outside and discussions seem to flow just as easily as if we're sat in my office, if not better.

I've not yet done one that has had to include a 'difficult conversation'. I'm not sure that would go down so well on the move...

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Thoughts on walking 1-2-1s? I've done them the last couple of weeks and everyone seems to love them. We stroll around a few of the various buildings (it's a pretty large organisation), take in fresh air outside and discussions seem to flow just as easily as if we're sat in my office, if not better.

I've not yet done one that has had to include a 'difficult conversation'. I'm not sure that would go down so well on the move...


I’ve never heard of a walking 1-2-1, but it sounds awful.

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Moggy wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Thoughts on walking 1-2-1s? I've done them the last couple of weeks and everyone seems to love them. We stroll around a few of the various buildings (it's a pretty large organisation), take in fresh air outside and discussions seem to flow just as easily as if we're sat in my office, if not better.

I've not yet done one that has had to include a 'difficult conversation'. I'm not sure that would go down so well on the move...


I’ve never heard of a walking 1-2-1, but it sounds awful.


Sounds like a great way for the boss to get the staffer to forge tto mention something by having them slightly distracted and uncomfortable that they would have to raise gooseberry fool effectively in public.
Also a great way to deny stuff after as it was all verbal and not written down at the time.

strawberry float that.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Moggy wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Thoughts on walking 1-2-1s? I've done them the last couple of weeks and everyone seems to love them. We stroll around a few of the various buildings (it's a pretty large organisation), take in fresh air outside and discussions seem to flow just as easily as if we're sat in my office, if not better.

I've not yet done one that has had to include a 'difficult conversation'. I'm not sure that would go down so well on the move...


I’ve never heard of a walking 1-2-1, but it sounds awful.

Well I don't know if there's an official name for it :lol: I thought that would convey what it was without having to give a lengthier description...

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Thoughts on walking 1-2-1s? I've done them the last couple of weeks and everyone seems to love them. We stroll around a few of the various buildings (it's a pretty large organisation), take in fresh air outside and discussions seem to flow just as easily as if we're sat in my office, if not better.

I've not yet done one that has had to include a 'difficult conversation'. I'm not sure that would go down so well on the move...


I’ve never heard of a walking 1-2-1, but it sounds awful.

Well I don't know if there's an official name for it :lol: I thought that would convey what it was without having to give a lengthier description...


I understood what you meant, I just think it sounds awful.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Errkal wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Thoughts on walking 1-2-1s? I've done them the last couple of weeks and everyone seems to love them. We stroll around a few of the various buildings (it's a pretty large organisation), take in fresh air outside and discussions seem to flow just as easily as if we're sat in my office, if not better.

I've not yet done one that has had to include a 'difficult conversation'. I'm not sure that would go down so well on the move...


I’ve never heard of a walking 1-2-1, but it sounds awful.


Sounds like a great way for the boss to get the staffer to forge tto mention something by having them slightly distracted and uncomfortable that they would have to raise gooseberry fool effectively in public.
Also a great way to deny stuff after as it was all verbal and not written down at the time.

strawberry float that.

I think someone would have a serious problem to resolve with their manager if those risks were actually a threat.

I've given the choice recently, expecting them to choose the standard option, but to my surprise they have all gone for the walking version.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm

I just don't have 1-2-1s at all. Much easier.

User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Kezzer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:42 pm

never used to have '1-2-1 walks' but often would stroll around the office campus with senior management. Its a nice way to just chat without worrying about other people around you.

Its an interesting idea Ob and if it is working, then why not.

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by ITSMILNER » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 pm

I had my annual review last year outside, sitting on a bench by the pond near work. It was so much better than being stuck in a small meeting room.

Talking about breaks, I work 9-5 and we get a 15 min break in the am and pm plus an hour for lunch. People still go out for fag breaks in between that :lol:

Image
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Kezzer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Over the years I have forgotten the concept of having a break. Nowadays I usually just stop working whenever I feel like it - usually because I can't focus or something, so I tend to get away from my desk and have a coffee or go chat to folk.

It does help that our office has a full espresso machine, fridges fully stocked with every kind of beverage you could want, and unlimited snacks from nuts & crisp to waffles & sweets/chocolate.

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dowbocop, Errkal, Lex-Man, Preezy, Rax, Tsunade, Wrathy, Yoshimi and 65 guests