The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Wed May 20, 2020 4:16 pm

I don't think I could cope with enforced timings for breaks/lunch. I can accept that certain jobs and roles require people to be available at specific times and so scheduling might be required there but the majority of people should be free to take their breaks and meals whenever the strawberry float they want!

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Victor Mildew » Wed May 20, 2020 4:16 pm

I eat constantly all day, until the period between 12 and 1, where I then fast and schedule lots of meetings.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed May 20, 2020 4:17 pm

If I was forced to not take lunch until 12 I would die, literally die, of starvation every day.

Victor Mildew wrote:I eat constantly all day, until the period between 12 and 1, where I then fast and schedule lots of meetings.


:lol: My kinda guy.

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:I eat constantly all day, until the period between 12 and 1, where I then fast and schedule lots of meetings.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Winckle » Wed May 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:If I was forced to not take lunch until 12 I would die, literally die, of starvation every day.

Victor Mildew wrote:I eat constantly all day, until the period between 12 and 1, where I then fast and schedule lots of meetings.


:lol: My kinda guy.

From memory, my impression was that you were quite a health focused individual. What's your usual breakfast?

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Wed May 20, 2020 4:50 pm

The thin veil of the reason for us having to record accurate time on tickets has completely eroded today after having a super quiet day we were told if we're helping someone internally or doing something else we have to record time to an internal ticket and they said we have to actively search for stuff to do as well. This is the first time it's been quiet in like 5 years. I'm not going to actively search for busywork im going to have a relaxing day at work for the first time in years thanks.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed May 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Winckle wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:If I was forced to not take lunch until 12 I would die, literally die, of starvation every day.

Victor Mildew wrote:I eat constantly all day, until the period between 12 and 1, where I then fast and schedule lots of meetings.


:lol: My kinda guy.

From memory, my impression was that you were quite a health focused individual. What's your usual breakfast?

Things have changed a bit since lockdown but at least before then it was like clockwork.

At home: huge bowl of cereal; protein shake if yesterday was a gym day.

*travel to work*

As soon as I'm settled at my desk I would eat a banana, an apple and a couple of whatever fruit is orange and in season (loving the satsumas right now).

With lockdown in place, I'm sort of keeping it the same in terms of the cereal/fruit combo except fitness has fallen totally off the wagon so there's no protein shake and I'm drinking several litres of coffee even though I don't need it.

Image
User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Joer » Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Just got my first payslip since being furloughed without bonus. The first time i've not earned bonus in over a year and my income is literally half of what it would normally be thanks to that. :dread:

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Lagamorph » Wed May 20, 2020 6:34 pm

I start working at 7:30am so no way I'm waiting past 12 for my lunch.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Wed May 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Joer wrote:Just got my first payslip since being furloughed without bonus. The first time i've not earned bonus in over a year and my income is literally half of what it would normally be thanks to that. :dread:


I thought furlough was meant to be 80% of your yearly average, or what you got for the same month the previous year - which ever is greater. So it should include all bonuses and overtime.

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Jenuall wrote:I don't think I could cope with enforced timings for breaks/lunch. I can accept that certain jobs and roles require people to be available at specific times and so scheduling might be required there but the majority of people should be free to take their breaks and meals whenever the strawberry float they want!


We have a resource planning system that manages the call centre automatically, people get alerted 30, 15 and 0 minutes before this breaks and lunch. I think they have an rough idea when they will be but the system works out when to actually trigger them and gives them when to go and when to come back.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 pm

That's not a growth wrote:
Joer wrote:Just got my first payslip since being furloughed without bonus. The first time i've not earned bonus in over a year and my income is literally half of what it would normally be thanks to that. :dread:


I thought furlough was meant to be 80% of your yearly average, or what you got for the same month the previous year - which ever is greater. So it should include all bonuses and overtime.

But there's a maximum amount as well isn't there? So if 80% of your average is greater than the maximum then you won't be getting 80%

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Wed May 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Ah yeah, good point. Forgot about that.

User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Joer » Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 pm

I don’t suppose you’ve got a source for that?

Looking at this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out-80 ... me#include

It looks like bonuses are excluded as it’s not part of my base pay.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Wed May 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Joer wrote:I don’t suppose you’ve got a source for that?

Looking at this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out-80 ... me#include

It looks like bonuses are excluded as it’s not part of my base pay.


From what I can see it's right there

What to include when calculating wages
The amount you should use when calculating 80% of your employees’ wages is regular payments you are obliged to make, including:

regular wages you pay to employees
non-discretionary payments for hours worked, including overtime
non-discretionary fees
non-discretionary commission payments
piece rate payments


Unless it's not in your contact?

User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Joer » Thu May 21, 2020 12:17 am

So the bonus I earn is discretionary, which obviously I won’t be earning while I’m not working. But I can’t see anything that says my furlough wage would be based on average of my earnings over the last 12 months rather than just my earnings now?

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Curls » Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 am

I start work at seven and often don't eat anything until about 1300-1400 .

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 am

Joer wrote:So the bonus I earn is discretionary, which obviously I won’t be earning while I’m not working. But I can’t see anything that says my furlough wage would be based on average of my earnings over the last 12 months rather than just my earnings now?


Employees whose pay varies and were employed from 6 April 2019
If the employee has been employed continuously from the start of the 2019 to 2020 tax year, you can claim the highest of either:

80% of the same month’s wages from the previous year (up to a maximum of £2,500 a month)
80% of the average monthly wages for the 2019 to 2020 tax year (up to a maximum of £2,500 a month)
To calculate 80% of the same month’s wages from the previous year:

Start with the amount they earned in the same period last year.

Divide by the total number of days in this pay period - including non-working days.

Multiply by the number of furlough days in this pay period.

Multiply by 80%.

Find an example of claiming for the same period last year.

User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Joer » Thu May 21, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks! Going to forward that straight on to no doubt be told it doesn’t work like that for us for some reason.

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Zilnad » Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Work have just asked me to set up an app on my personal mobile so I can take calls as no one in the office is answering the accounts phone.

Would I be well within my rights to say I'm not using my own phone for work calls? I don't mind taking calls through the work laptop of that's possible but using my own phone is bullshit.


Return to “Stuff”