The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Slayerx » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 pm

pjbetman wrote:
Slayerx wrote:Been made to travel to another site for the second time in 3 weeks with discussions we might be going in March too.

The sites closing so we are going down to learn tasks before they go at the end of March.

I've challenged constructively that they should also travel to our site but have been told they can't because they have family, commitments etc.

I'm thinking of refusing to go down in March it's another week of leaving the monday at 6am for a 5 hour communite staying in a hotel til Friday and then another 5 hour commute home.

Probably not going to go down well but others been made to go down aren't overly happy either.



Surely they are paying you for any extra hours over your normal travelling time? Your contract of employment will have your place of work defined. Any 'site' visits, your time starts from when you leave your house.


We get 3 hours for travel down as we leave the house at 6am so it's time owed in lue.

Just need to try time to use it when it's not busy. At the hotel we have a meal allowance and we have to claim expenses on anything we get if we eat out rather than the hotel.

Its not all bad it's just a long time to be 150 miles away from home and stuck with people I wouldn't typically spend time with outside of work.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Looks I may have been oked for a degreee through work. Means I have to pay nothing and they give me 20% of my at work time to do my degree. Obviously I’ll be doing a heap of extra myself but yaysness.

If I pass I’ll no longer be a 6th form drop out that has done alright.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 pm

Good work.

I pretty much bombed my A-levels, didn't actually qualify for my degree at enrolment because I hadn't completed my BTEC, literally just moved into the accommodation and blagged my way in anyway, had my studies formally terminated by the university registrar with no recourse twice within 18 months (I still have the letters) and eventually graduated 4 years later after successfully appealing twice in both cases.

So yeah even with a relatively normal route through higher education it's not necessarily a perfect success story either. It's a minor miracle I was even let in.

I basically told the enrolment people "I know I haven't actually passed the criteria for my offer yet but if you look at *literally everything I've ever done piled together* I have enough UCAS points" and with an odd frown the guy just shrugged and rubber stamped my papers and I got my student ID card :lol:

The downside is I still owe about £40,000

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:54 am

That's not a growth wrote:In mid December I was told I was getting a pay rise. Today I got paid, but the normal amount. Bastards.

Spoke to my manager. Turns out while I was told about it, it wasn't actually approved and it might not happen due to a customer owing us a lot of money. And they've been giving me even more responsibility, again. Urgh.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 am

That's not a growth wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:In mid December I was told I was getting a pay rise. Today I got paid, but the normal amount. Bastards.

Spoke to my manager. Turns out while I was told about it, it wasn't actually approved and it might not happen due to a customer owing us a lot of money. And they've been giving me even more responsibility, again. Urgh.

That customer must owe a hell of a lot of money. Do you know the details on that? Because I smell something...

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Rocsteady » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 am

Yeah that sounds like total bullshit. I'd definitely push back.

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:05 am

Green Gecko wrote:Good work.

I pretty much bombed my A-levels, didn't actually qualify for my degree at enrolment because I hadn't completed my BTEC, literally just moved into the accommodation and blagged my way in anyway, had my studies formally terminated by the university registrar with no recourse twice within 18 months (I still have the letters) and eventually graduated 4 years later after successfully appealing twice in both cases.

So yeah even with a relatively normal route through higher education it's not necessarily a perfect success story either. It's a minor miracle I was even let in.

I basically told the enrolment people "I know I haven't actually passed the criteria for my offer yet but if you look at *literally everything I've ever done piled together* I have enough UCAS points" and with an odd frown the guy just shrugged and rubber stamped my papers and I got my student ID card :lol:

The downside is I still owe about £40,000


Yeah I got booted from sixth form for not showing up (was doing fine in mock exams but one teacher really didn’t like me and pushed for me to be got rid of) so never did the degree thing, ended up in it by accident and have recently discovered my enjoyment of development work it’s a real shame I didn’t find it sooner, I’ve never thought I could do it and my last job actively told me I wasn’t good at coding.

Hopefully it all pans out as this could do good things for the future.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:18 am

I know the full details of it, I was the one who's running that project and created the reports to say how much we're owed and broke down what our exposure is.

It's quite a lot of money for a single project as far as our department is concerned (about 10x a small simple project). In company terms, It's about 10% of the monthly turn over of the largest 'regular' department, or 1/3 of a recent sale of another project based department (my understand being this is a normal sale for them - but they're less frequent than ours).

While I'm aware we need to be paid by our customers, this is a risk the company took, not me, and this situation doesn't make my job easier or require less skill, and I don't earn commission, just a wage. If the customer does pay I don't see myself getting some sort of back pay or bonus for being on a lesser wage while I ran the project (and it's not like I haven't asked, I've been lead on about this the whole time, and as you can probably tell I'm getting tired of it now).

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:24 am

Also it's just the way they handled this. I get told I'm getting a pay rise, it didn't happen, I have to chase it and then get told it was never fully authorised in the first place.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:25 am

Errkal wrote:Looks I may have been oked for a degreee through work. Means I have to pay nothing and they give me 20% of my at work time to do my degree. Obviously I’ll be doing a heap of extra myself but yaysness.

If I pass I’ll no longer be a 6th form drop out that has done alright.


That’s good news. Is that through the Open University?

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 am

Moggy wrote:
Errkal wrote:Looks I may have been oked for a degreee through work. Means I have to pay nothing and they give me 20% of my at work time to do my degree. Obviously I’ll be doing a heap of extra myself but yaysness.

If I pass I’ll no longer be a 6th form drop out that has done alright.


That’s good news. Is that through the Open University?


Naa we have a train providor thing that does them and via that they get a heap of the money back in a levy thing.

It seems like a good course and am doing the software development track so should be interesting and good learn how to do stuff properly rather than going from one massive crash to the next :D

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Meep » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Green Gecko wrote:
Meep wrote:Three weeks ago: offered promotion at work and accept.

One week ago: someone else offers me a job, however it is less than the new post I was offered so I decline.

This week: recruitment informs me that they offered me the new job due to administrative error.

In other words, our recruitment department are useless strawberry floaters and made me a fake offered that led to me declining a real one.

I am tempted to just tell them to strawberry float themselves and walk out at the moment.

Did they know you were looking for another job?

Just tell them the truth. Ask for a raise or you'll keep looking elsewhere. That's the least they can do for messing you around, even if you only get something small like a panel discussing why you aren't happy with the job and what they should do about it.

I work for a health trust. You get paid according to your banding and increment and that's that. To be fair, the recruiter is a private contractor they hire to handle filling vacancies. Private sector contractors are always incompetent vultures in my experience; although that's probably because the trust always uses the lowest bidder for everything (and they're usually bidding so low because they intend to bleed the public purse dry with additional charges).

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:53 pm

Train provider

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:55 am

Better hope it's not Southern then, their train provision isn't very good.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 pm

Work is getting to me a lot at the moment.

I've asked for a 25% pay increase because the responsibility I have is obscene and this stress is not worth what I earn.

Was supposed to be going to the gym tonight and instead I'm staring down the nozzle of a depressingly empty bottle of wine.

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Green Gecko wrote:Better hope it's not Southern then, their train provision isn't very good.

What the strawberry float. Just seen this and my post above, of which I have absolutely no memory or understanding.

Guess I still have a drinking problem.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:10 pm

You were pointing out the Errkalism of "train provider" hence the excellent quip that it better not be Southern Rail.

It would seem self-evident that the "depressingly empty bottle of wine" was indeed a cause for this incidence of memory negation.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Green Gecko wrote:You were pointing out the Errkalism of "train provider" hence the excellent quip that it better not be Southern Rail.

It would seem self-evident that the "depressingly empty bottle of wine" was indeed a cause for this incidence of memory negation.

Oh yeah. What an arsehole drunk me is. :fp: Sorry, Errkal.

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Rocsteady » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Work is getting to me a lot at the moment.

I've asked for a 25% pay increase because the responsibility I have is obscene and this stress is not worth what I earn.

Was supposed to be going to the gym tonight and instead I'm staring down the nozzle of a depressingly empty bottle of wine.

I've been doing the same to an extent this last week, was out for beers again tonight as otherwise it's really hard to switch off. I'm hoping it's temporary in my case though as I don't think a raise will be forthcoming.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:49 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:You were pointing out the Errkalism of "train provider" hence the excellent quip that it better not be Southern Rail.

It would seem self-evident that the "depressingly empty bottle of wine" was indeed a cause for this incidence of memory negation.

Oh yeah. What an arsehole drunk me is. :fp: Sorry, Errkal.

lol that sounded like I was grilling you, I thought it was hillarious

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, FatDaz, massimo, more heat than light, Rightey, Ste, suzzopher and 41 guests