The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Nice, that's good you've already got a hit - and no worries if it doesn't come off there will sure to be more soon enough.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:02 pm

If you know any of us IRL names etc we can shoot some recommendations for stuff we know you know like japanese etc

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Dual » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Qikz wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:Yeah good luck Qikz, hope this works out for you. How did they get your info, you decided to get on LinkedIn?


Yeah I finally jumped on linkedin. :lol:


Have you set your employment status thing to 'open for offers'?

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:31 pm

Dual wrote:
Qikz wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:Yeah good luck Qikz, hope this works out for you. How did they get your info, you decided to get on LinkedIn?


Yeah I finally jumped on linkedin. :lol:


Have you set your employment status thing to 'open for offers'?


Yeah!

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Just now: close to a grand VAT refund after it taking me about 3 months to complete my return :toot:

In reality: at least 20 grand in real terms buried into this business :dread:

Good thing as I've just accepted a deal for some pretty game changing software so that's awfully convenient. Wasn't expecting them to just pay it without querying a first return... After all that worry I suppose they really do have bigger fish to fry :D

Haven't even written to me or anything.

Let me have this one guys... It's about about as close to a pay day as I ever get. :slol:

And all it took was strawberry floating weeks/years of diligent record keeping.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 am

Straw that broke the camels back - someone who is worse than me at my job and has considerably less experience than me just got promoted over me. :/

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Victor Mildew » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:36 am

Qikz wrote:Straw that broke the camels back - someone who is worse than me at my job and has considerably less experience than me just got promoted over me. :/


Are they attractive? Because that gooseberry fool still goes on.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:41 am

Sorry to hear that StayDead mate. Was it a post that they applied for, or were they approached directly?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:45 am

That sucks, any chance the new role requires some other skill or experience they may have over you (probably not but looking for anything that might take some sting out)

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 am

No, it's literally second line support, a job I've been doing without the title now for 4 years. They're also one of the people who moved away and went full time work from home which is something they didn't seem super excited that I asked if it would be possible for me to be able to do. Me and my friend at work are in exactly the same situation. We do second line work and have done for years, but they also expect us to do everything else. We're at the top of tickets closed every single day and on top of calls most days as well, but no matter how hard we've worked they still won't promote us lol

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Victor Mildew » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am

Qikz wrote:No, it's literally second line support, a job I've been doing without the title now for 4 years. They're also one of the people who moved away and went full time work from home which is something they didn't seem super excited that I asked if it would be possible for me to be able to do. Me and my friend at work are in exactly the same situation. We do second line work and have done for years, but they also expect us to do everything else. We're at the top of tickets closed every single day and on top of calls most days as well, but no matter how hard we've worked they still won't promote us lol


This is the key thing, they know you'll just do it for a length of time without the promotion. If I was in your situation, I'd ask for a 1 to 1 with your boss, then calmly explain that you're frustrated that you've been passed over for this role when you've demonstrated you're not only capable, but have been doing the role anyway and are consistently a top performer. You feel your role should be officially recognised and you should be financially rewarded for it.

Some places will only give promotions if you ask for them.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Lagamorph » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 am

I got promoted to Senior Engineer when I basically put my boss on the spot in a one to one and asked "Why haven't I been promoted to senior yet?" and he had no valid reason for it.
Like Ad says, challenge then directly and put them on the spot with questions. Put the onus on them to tell you why not, rather than yourself to tell them why.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:24 am

Lagamorph wrote:I got promoted to Senior Engineer when I basically put my boss on the spot in a one to one and asked "Why haven't I been promoted to senior yet?" and he had no valid reason for it.
Like Ad says, challenge then directly and put them on the spot with questions. Put the onus on them to tell you why not, rather than yourself to tell them why.


I've done this 3 times up until this point and each time I got given the 'we'll be promoting you soon' gooseberry fool each time or they'd come up with excuses as to why I hadn't been promoted yet. Essentially I think they want me to do the dogs body of the work without any of the praise.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Tomous » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:32 am

Qikz wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I got promoted to Senior Engineer when I basically put my boss on the spot in a one to one and asked "Why haven't I been promoted to senior yet?" and he had no valid reason for it.
Like Ad says, challenge then directly and put them on the spot with questions. Put the onus on them to tell you why not, rather than yourself to tell them why.


I've done this 3 times up until this point and each time I got given the 'we'll be promoting you soon' gooseberry fool each time or they'd come up with excuses as to why I hadn't been promoted yet. Essentially I think they want me to do the dogs body of the work without any of the praise.



Have you considered looking for a new job? Might be time to do that by the sounds of it.

Image
idiolekt
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by idiolekt » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 pm

Qikz wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I got promoted to Senior Engineer when I basically put my boss on the spot in a one to one and asked "Why haven't I been promoted to senior yet?" and he had no valid reason for it.
Like Ad says, challenge then directly and put them on the spot with questions. Put the onus on them to tell you why not, rather than yourself to tell them why.


I've done this 3 times up until this point and each time I got given the 'we'll be promoting you soon' gooseberry fool each time or they'd come up with excuses as to why I hadn't been promoted yet. Essentially I think they want me to do the dogs body of the work without any of the praise.

this is exactly what it is -- I absolutely wouldn't have put up with this for four years especially with how easy it is to move between IT jobs once you've got a bit of experience. are you working for an MSP? it certainly sounds like it

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Zilnad » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Played some table tennis at new work today.

I was gooseberry fool :oops:

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Tomous » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 pm

I hope they had table tennis setup because otherwise that's a bold move for your third day

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 am

:lol:

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 am

Work have decided to use two different rotas and not tell me as I was off sick for a fortnight, so I've turned up this morning four hours early for a shift. The response - "Oh well we've spoken about it in the last few team meetings." Which I wasn't strawberry floating at you complete spanners.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Lagamorph » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:22 pm

Work are now talking about having us in the office for an average of 1-2 days per week from September.

strawberry float that, I'll be arguing against that bullshit. Literally everything I do is remote and I have a better setup at home than the office. strawberry float spending 3 hours per day driving just to be in a shitty office space with knackered AC.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BTB, Dowbocop, Finish.Last, Google [Bot], Grumpy David, Lime, Saint of Killers, Squinty, Ste, Tsunade, Zerudaaaaa!, Zilnad and 153 guests