The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:45 am

Preezy wrote:If there's one thing the Queen knows about it's corporate project management courses.

As heads of state go I would trust her corporate skills a lot more than Trumps! :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:53 am

Jenuall wrote:
Preezy wrote:If there's one thing the Queen knows about it's corporate project management courses.

As heads of state go I would trust her corporate skills a lot more than Trumps! :lol:

That's Commander Trump to you, peasant.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:40 pm

P2 is definitely old news these days. I've no formal qualifications myself but I keep up to date with professional PMs and they'll laugh at your weedy noob stats if you don't come armed with something a little more... contemporary.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:04 pm

Fake news or old news?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:P2 is definitely old news these days. I've no formal qualifications myself but I keep up to date with professional PMs and they'll laugh at your weedy noob stats if you don't come armed with something a little more... contemporary.


That's interesting. What's hot gooseberry fool these days then?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:30 pm

I got some more training when I basically made a point I needed to do more creative stuff and I was getting paid more somewhere else. I did the training, the company basically ran out of money and I left for other reasons. It was done on a bartering system but I was paid to attend.

So, I guess the point is if you are offered training do it as you have no idea where it will take you in the future. For me it was Adobe Illustrator and I use that all the time, I literally couldn't run my business without knowing vector graphics software very well; turns out it's fundamental to how I'm able to mock up and then small scale manufacture stuff with the same drawings in a short period.

I think the best, smart people are motivated by learning and skill building and if you don't offer that there's unseen costs to employee productivity, morale and turnover and so ignoring staff development is a big mistake.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:39 pm

That's not a growth wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:P2 is definitely old news these days. I've no formal qualifications myself but I keep up to date with professional PMs and they'll laugh at your weedy noob stats if you don't come armed with something a little more... contemporary.


That's interesting. What's hot gooseberry fool these days then?

I can't recall what came up further into the conversation I'm thinking of, I just remember that specific discussion because I was surprised to learn it myself at the time, having believed that P2 was 'all that' until then.

I'd like to get more into it myself but the right opportunity has yet to come up.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:05 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I'd like to get more into it myself but the right opportunity has yet to come up.

Been a while since you've applied for a new position, hasn't it? Are you more settled now in your current post?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:13 am

Drumstick wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I'd like to get more into it myself but the right opportunity has yet to come up.

Been a while since you've applied for a new position, hasn't it? Are you more settled now in your current post?

December, so yeah it's been a while now.

I'm definitely not settled and the ongoing recruitment freeze is causing huge difficulty. I'd love to move on.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I'm definitely not settled and the ongoing recruitment freeze is causing huge difficulty. I'd love to move on.

Life is tough at the top. :(

Hope something comes up soon.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 am

I don’t know if people remember me moaning about the “temporary” boss we had for a while. Well he ended up getting the role (strawberry float knows how!) and things have been awful on that team ever since. Luckily for me, my little team was moved to a different boss a couple of months ago so we don’t have to put up with his bullshit. He’s the cock that wouldn’t let people leave a few minutes early without giving a weeks notice (despite him leaving early all the time), handing out written warnings for low level amounts of sickness and just generally being an unpleasant prick. He’s friends with the big boss of the office though so I guess he can do what he likes.

Anyway it apparently really kicked off yesterday, typically when I was out of the office and couldn’t enjoy it. From what I gather he and a girl on his team had a proper full blown shouting match in the middle of the office. It ended up with her in tears and she’s now been moved away from him to the same boss I currently have. At least two other people on his team have requested a move across but they are having to turn them down as he will not have enough team members left to keep the work flowing. Another one of them was chatting to us earlier and saying that she doesn’t really care now, she’s the only senior left on his team and so “what the strawberry float can he do to me now?!”.

My boss has been slagging him off all morning about various things as well, so she’s obviously not very happy with things. :lol:

I guarantee nothing will happen to him though.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 am

I'm not sure I've shared this before but it's about work so yeah. It's a short animation about a guy with a shitty job who accidentally picks up his boss' suit from the dry cleaners, and suddenly everyone likes him. Except I never got past the shitty job part. So that's the whole one minute animation :lol:

But I realise now it's actually about autism/anxiety because all the loud sounds and gooseberry fool going on that causes massive anxiety if you have ASD is basically why I don't survive doing "normal" jobs (my personal record is one year). Only took me 9 years to consider that, and it's also a pretty accurate prediction of what my graduate employment in offices was like, whether it was doing pre-employment screening, or visual effects, or working in an arts institution with a shitty boss, or working in a creative services department for an international company (for which I lasted an entire 3 days despite "having all the skills and competing the work", my agent actually relayed that to me from the manager). Maybe I set myself up to fail with those expectations or maybe I was just, well, right.



Might finish it and I'm going to gun for arts council funding this year so that's one thing I could consider doing. That was about 10% of the storyboard.

(In fact it literally is the storyboard scanned in and then edited into the film, which I'm still not sure if it's lazy or genius. :lol:)

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am

Someone in work has an electric heater that they keep under their desk for when it's cold. They left it on all night and now the office is 29 degrees. :dread:

Still, at least it makes it feel more like summer than outside! :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Kezzer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am

Green Gecko wrote:I'm not sure I've shared this before but it's about work so yeah. It's a short animation about a guy with a shitty job who accidentally picks up his boss' suit from the dry cleaners, and suddenly everyone likes him. Except I never got past the shitty job part. So that's the whole one minute animation :lol:

But I realise now it's actually about autism/anxiety because all the loud sounds and gooseberry fool going on that causes massive anxiety if you have ASD is basically why I don't survive doing "normal" jobs (my personal record is one year). Only took me 9 years to consider that, and it's also a pretty accurate prediction of what my graduate employment in offices was like, whether it was doing pre-employment screening, or visual effects, or working in an arts institution with a shitty boss, or working in a creative services department for an international company (for which I lasted an entire 3 days despite "having all the skills and competing the work", my agent actually relayed that to me from the manager). Maybe I set myself up to fail with those expectations or maybe I was just, well, right.



Might finish it and I'm going to gun for arts council funding this year so that's one thing I could consider doing. That was about 10% of the storyboard.

(In fact it literally is the storyboard scanned in and then edited into the film, which I'm still not sure if it's lazy or genius. :lol:)


I actually really like the storyboard aesthetics, so I'd count it as genius. :toot:

Also like how the sounds are amplified, its really clever and i think if someone watched it without reading the intro, they would pick up that they were a source of discomfort/angst from the get go.

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Qikz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 pm

So our strawberry floating idiotic draconian management style has now started to ruin the only part of my job that I enjoyed which was going on site. I'm losing the will to cope with this anymore. It's all based around stupid lunchtimes and they're changing how I've worked at this client for 3 years with not a single complaint. I used to go at 2 or half 2 depending on if I was busy so not only could I avoid everyone else and work on peoples pcs while they went to lunch, it also gave me time away from other people to calm my anxiety down. Now they're saying I either HAVE to go between 12 and 1, or 1 and 2 which changes everything I do and it just makes me more stressed. They hit me that bullshit half way through today after I was already at 1 doing a big software update I couldn't do at any other time and I'm severely pissed off. That isn't the only thing they also started doing this stupid time management thing and some other really ridiculous things we've been fine without for the last 3 and a half years that are all adding up to one massive gooseberry fool sandwich.

I'm not coping anymore, I'm worried I'm going to snap at someone because I'm genuinely feeling so angry right now I just want to cry.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Outrunner
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Outrunner » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Management are reorganising library stock at work and have somehow come up with the worst possible plan that is just going to piss off customers and drive people away. At a time when we should be making ourselves more user friendly they seem intent on driving the service into the ground. The end of September can't come fast enough.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Qikz wrote:So our strawberry floating idiotic draconian management style has now started to ruin the only part of my job that I enjoyed which was going on site. I'm losing the will to cope with this anymore. It's all based around stupid lunchtimes and they're changing how I've worked at this client for 3 years with not a single complaint. I used to go at 2 or half 2 depending on if I was busy so not only could I avoid everyone else and work on peoples pcs while they went to lunch, it also gave me time away from other people to calm my anxiety down. Now they're saying I either HAVE to go between 12 and 1, or 1 and 2 which changes everything I do and it just makes me more stressed. They hit me that bullshit half way through today after I was already at 1 doing a big software update I couldn't do at any other time and I'm severely pissed off. That isn't the only thing they also started doing this stupid time management thing and some other really ridiculous things we've been fine without for the last 3 and a half years that are all adding up to one massive gooseberry fool sandwich.

I'm not coping anymore, I'm worried I'm going to snap at someone because I'm genuinely feeling so angry right now I just want to cry.

I had this problem in an office job. I started going to lunch at 2-3 because there was just so much work to get done that I was inclined to take my break later than I perhaps should have done. I wasn't convinced (and still am not) this affected anybody or productivity etc.

I actually got authorisation this one time from my line manager to go and take lunch at about 3 or something. When I came back I got tapped on the shoulder and a stern look from two executive managers, telling me that I can't just go for lunch whenever I want. I wanted to explain why and that I had permission that time (was I supposed to just not take lunch at all that day and make myself ill?) but I just welled up and said "Sorry, it won't happen again" and turned to face my screen.

It is oppressive and representative of how inflexible working arrangements can be in office settings for no apparent logical reason. So I do sympathise with you. But if this continues to be a problem you might have to seriously consider your options: (a) pipe up about this and explain your point of view, explain that you take lunch at a different time from other people because it gives you a break from your anxiety, (b) shut the hell up and do what your're told or (c) find another job. It sucks but that's all I can suggest.

Later I worked for a much smaller company and I could take lunch whenever I wanted (although it was only for 30 minutes where I had an our at the last office job). I was there for a year until the company basically wound down and I resigned due to other reasons, but they didn't have bullshit reasons for taking lunch at the exact same time. I also worked another job where it was very apparent you were frowned upon if you didn't eat a sandwich at your desk in 15 minutes and just carry on working. Unfortunately this is a cultural thing driven by management and it won't change unless you change where you are.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by pjbetman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Green Gecko wrote:
Qikz wrote:So our strawberry floating idiotic draconian management style has now started to ruin the only part of my job that I enjoyed which was going on site. I'm losing the will to cope with this anymore. It's all based around stupid lunchtimes and they're changing how I've worked at this client for 3 years with not a single complaint. I used to go at 2 or half 2 depending on if I was busy so not only could I avoid everyone else and work on peoples pcs while they went to lunch, it also gave me time away from other people to calm my anxiety down. Now they're saying I either HAVE to go between 12 and 1, or 1 and 2 which changes everything I do and it just makes me more stressed. They hit me that bullshit half way through today after I was already at 1 doing a big software update I couldn't do at any other time and I'm severely pissed off. That isn't the only thing they also started doing this stupid time management thing and some other really ridiculous things we've been fine without for the last 3 and a half years that are all adding up to one massive gooseberry fool sandwich.

I'm not coping anymore, I'm worried I'm going to snap at someone because I'm genuinely feeling so angry right now I just want to cry.

I had this problem in an office job. I started going to lunch at 2-3 because there was just so much work to get done that I was inclined to take my break later than I perhaps should have done. I wasn't convinced (and still am not) this affected anybody or productivity etc.

I actually got authorisation this one time from my line manager to go and take lunch at about 3 or something. When I came back I got tapped on the shoulder and a stern look from two executive managers, telling me that I can't just go for lunch whenever I want. I wanted to explain why and that I had permission that time (was I supposed to just not take lunch at all that day and make myself ill?) but I just welled up and said "Sorry, it won't happen again" and turned to face my screen.

It is oppressive and representative of how inflexible working arrangements can be in office settings for no apparent logical reason. So I do sympathise with you. But if this continues to be a problem you might have to seriously consider your options: (a) pipe up about this and explain your point of view, explain that you take lunch at a different time from other people because it gives you a break from your anxiety, (b) shut the hell up and do what your're told or (c) find another job. It sucks but that's all I can suggest.

Later I worked for a much smaller company and I could take lunch whenever I wanted (although it was only for 30 minutes where I had an our at the last office job). I was there for a year until the company basically wound down and I resigned due to other reasons, but they didn't have bullshit reasons for taking lunch at the exact same time. I also worked another job where it was very apparent you were frowned upon if you didn't eat a sandwich at your desk in 15 minutes and just carry on working. Unfortunately this is a cultural thing driven by management and it won't change unless you change where you are.


It's only flexible if you have a sprog (or one on the way). The favouritism that people with kids get is beyond a joke. I've actually thought about making some up to try and not get overlooked for promotions and stuff.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08 pm

I had disabilities that entitled me under the Disability Act to work from home flexibly because I had terrible anxiety and can't work in a loud environment (see my film :lol:), that counts as a reasonable adjustment because it has no impact on the efficacy of the company when tasks can easily be convened and issued via email and telephone. All my work was graphics and coding so could be done over the Internet. That's not even mentioning my 6 hours roundtrip commute which was strawberry floating crazy (and spoke massively of my dedication to the job).

When I eventually left the company because my psychologist told me it was not worth the impact on my health, the boss got really resentful about it, sent me a flurry of inappropriate text messages saying that I was granted "privileges such as remote work". It wasn't a privilege, it was a right as an employee :lol:

But what really took the piss is that for days and days on end these manager types don't show up or fail to set work as scheduled, leaving their underlings to figure gooseberry fool out for themselves and then blame them when work isn't completed as they expected it would be (because we had no strawberry floating clue what to do and so just made stuff up :lol:).

I still don't understand managerial ethics in most cases demanding that in order for people to be treated equal (and therefore in some cases unequal, because it doesn't take any account of their personal strengths and weaknesses) and remain on the straight and narrow they must be synchronised to an arbitrary 9-5 schedule and pinpointed geographically when the vast majority of their tasks are telecommunicated anyway. It makes no sense in modern times and continues to create adversity in the economy for people that are highly skilled and personally motivated but for whatever (good) reason they don't slot into the right shape.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
poshrule_uk
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by poshrule_uk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Christ.

My sister in law works for a small family company (10-12 employees) and she has a new job which she got offered earlier in the week.

She handed her notice in Friday but the husband and wife who run the place have been off all week and she wants to start ASAP, you know new job who wouldn't.

Anyway the lady owner texts her tonight calling her unprofessional for not waiting until Monday and that she is disappointed in her! REALLY!


Return to “Stuff”