The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jezo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Been off work over a week. First day back today, 3 hours in, I literally can't strawberry floating stand it. Work is just so boring and dull. I just feel trapped doing things I don't want to do for too long every damn day. Somebody end my suffering.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Jenuall wrote:Have you heard any more about your PO role Drummy?

Interview is tomorrow!

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:32 pm

Drumstick wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Have you heard any more about your PO role Drummy?

Interview is tomorrow!


Good luck!

And no, nothing yet. I'll leave it until Friday I think before I chase.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 pm

That's not a growth wrote:
Drumstick wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Have you heard any more about your PO role Drummy?

Interview is tomorrow!


Good luck!

And no, nothing yet. I'll leave it until Friday I think before I chase.

Yeah good luck Drummy, let me know if you have any more questions!

And hope you get some useful feedback TNAG, I've learned some useful stuff off the back of roles and jobs that I was passed over for in the past.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Interview went very well. Can't really think it could have gone any better or that I could have given more.

Should find out in the coming days. Fingers crossed!

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:43 am

Nice one, there's always something satisfying about an interview that actually goes according to plan!

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:47 am

Drumstick wrote:Interview went very well. Can't really think it could have gone any better or that I could have given more.

Should find out in the coming days. Fingers crossed!

Nice. Still waiting to hear?

I had my feedback yesterday. Turns out they didn't give the job to anyone and they've asked me to reapply in a few weeks when it goes back up.

Apparently the panel all agreed I could do the job (they all know me very well), but I didn't tick all the right boxes with my answers. I've basically just been told exactly how to tick those boxes and to have another go.

Not sure what to think because I still don't even really want the job. I was in that department for just over a year and it was a thoroughly miserable experience. Longtime posters in this thread might recall me handing in my notice without anther job to go to — that was in this department.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:44 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Nice. Still waiting to hear?

I've been asked to meet with the coders/devs that I will be working with. That's on Tuesday. Should find out by COP Wednesday.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I had my feedback yesterday. Turns out they didn't give the job to anyone and they've asked me to reapply in a few weeks when it goes back up.

Apparently the panel all agreed I could do the job (they all know me very well), but I didn't tick all the right boxes with my answers. I've basically just been told exactly how to tick those boxes and to have another go.

Not sure what to think because I still don't even really want the job. I was in that department for just over a year and it was a thoroughly miserable experience. Longtime posters in this thread might recall me handing in my notice without anther job to go to — that was in this department.

Come on, mate. You know you should not be applying for a job that you aren't actually interested in, especially in a department that you were so miserable in previously.

If it was another person on here what would you be saying to them?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Cuttooth » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:48 am

I'd honestly be put off by them effectively giving me the answers to get the role in a do over. That's just weird.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:50 am

It's very weird. Like they want you but need to see you giving them the answers they want to justify hiring you.

Huh? Surely if they think you can do the job that's justification enough.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:51 am

Drumstick wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Nice. Still waiting to hear?

I've been asked to meet with the coders/devs that I will be working with. That's on Tuesday. Should find out by COP Wednesday.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I had my feedback yesterday. Turns out they didn't give the job to anyone and they've asked me to reapply in a few weeks when it goes back up.

Apparently the panel all agreed I could do the job (they all know me very well), but I didn't tick all the right boxes with my answers. I've basically just been told exactly how to tick those boxes and to have another go.

Not sure what to think because I still don't even really want the job. I was in that department for just over a year and it was a thoroughly miserable experience. Longtime posters in this thread might recall me handing in my notice without anther job to go to — that was in this department.

Come on, mate. You know you should not be applying for a job that you aren't actually interested in, especially in a department that you were so miserable in previously.

If it was another person on here what would you be saying to them?

That's quite a long time for you to have to wait!

I'd tell them they're a crazy person. The only reason I'm considering it is that I'm not at all happy in my current job anyway. If I'm going to be miserable it might as well be for more money.

Cuttooth wrote:I'd honestly be put off by them effectively giving me the answers to get the role in a do over. That's just weird.


It wasn't really the exact answers, but very focused feedback on emwhat sort of explanation I should have given and at which points. I know what you mean, though.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:56 am

It's the first time my company (privately owned in the utility sector, around 2500 employees) has ever gone down the Scrum/Agile/Product Owner method. They want to be absolutely certain they have the right person, because the end goal is to use this experience to demonstrate to the ELT that it should be adopted across the entire company.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Gemini73 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm

While I'm not particularly happy about us being taken over by a private company one good thing to come out of it is that they have actually begun interviewing and employing a few new staff from different backgrounds. While still not the numbers we need we are beginning to see a definite change in who is employed in the diversity stakes. What's particularly good about this is has put our obnoxious, bigoted line manager on the back foot. Save for a few of us hired by HR our line manager has generally always had the final say in who is employed and as you might guess he mostly employed like minded bigots or his "mates" who also thinks as he does. Not any more, GMS has the final say. Period. I, along with a handful of others, are waiting patiently for this ghastly little fuckwit to put his foot in his mouth. Already the tone of conversation is shifting in the porters lodge for the better with myself and a few others making sure it continues that way. The usual homophobic jokes, racist slurs, sexist comments etc are, for the first time that I can remember, openingly being frowned upon. Our line manager can't handle it and is obviously finding it very uncomfortable as the little prick has begun spending more time hiding in his office and has been going home early most days.

I believe that finally this awful little man's little kingdom of fear and bigotry he's built up will soon come crashing down. Funniest of all, and because he's a dullard, he'll probably look to us remaining veteran porters to support him when the gooseberry fool hits the fan. I look forward to saying "I don't think so pal".

It's just a shame we lost so many good porters leading up to this point due to this person. As the saying goes; people don't quit jobs, they quit managers.

Last edited by Gemini73 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Snowcannon
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: New York

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Snowcannon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Ob Bob, have you considered moving to a different employer?

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Gemini73 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:43 pm

I just had a lovely old dear in her 90s sing me some wartime songs as we headed towards CT. :wub:

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:15 pm

On Bob, why aren't you happy in your existing role? Pretty sure you were not all that long ago. What changed?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Snowcannon wrote:Ob Bob, have you considered moving to a different employer?

Yes but even the thought of starting somewhere all over again is exhausting.
Drumstick wrote:On Bob, why aren't you happy in your existing role? Pretty sure you were not all that long ago. What changed?

The entire place has gone through significant restructuring, which has seen various departments dissolve. The work completed by them has had to be adapted into my team. Rather than give us more resource to help with this, they've actually removed some of it. So now we're just in a never-ending cycle of firefighting and failure. It's utterly demoralising and the result is I'm having to deal with significant cases of mental health across the team, while trying to maintain my own.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Snowcannon wrote:Ob Bob, have you considered moving to a different employer?

Yes but even the thought of starting somewhere all over again is exhausting.
Drumstick wrote:On Bob, why aren't you happy in your existing role? Pretty sure you were not all that long ago. What changed?

The entire place has gone through significant restructuring, which has seen various departments dissolve. The work completed by them has had to be adapted into my team. Rather than give us more resource to help with this, they've actually removed some of it. So now we're just in a never-ending cycle of firefighting and failure. It's utterly demoralising and the result is I'm having to deal with significant cases of mental health across the team, while trying to maintain my own.

Well that's gooseberry fool, I thought I had things bad.

Got my feedback.

# really enjoyed meeting with you and thought you provided some good examples to questions however felt some responses were quite technical and it would have been good to explain the context a little bit more around those so your audience were better able to understand the scenario.

Overall they felt it was a good interview however there was a candidate who was able to demonstrate the key skills and experience required at a higher level on this occasion.


I'm a bit conflicted about the first one. The position was for someone to help create processes, procedures and systems to help deal with a few new external suppliers they were about to finalise contracts with. Mine is a very technical role, and if anything I felt I was having give too much context and thought I was boring them. But I did get a bit specific about some of the systems and processes I've built, and the problems I had to overcome to ensure things worked together. It could be that they're referring to, as in one point I talked about building a scheduling tool in google sheets that you choose from a drop down a job, it then populates how long the job will take based on it's job type, and how long travel time is between jobs by looking the job, the next one, their addresses, then querying the google maps api. One of them then went, "So you're good with excel then? You know how to use vlookup and pivot tables?" which was a tad frustrating.

Oh well, keep on plodding.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:19 pm

That's the last meeting done. Should find out sometime in the next 24 hours.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Nice, how did it go?

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuttooth, Lex-Man, more heat than light, Saint of Killers, TonyDA and 65 guests