The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Ecno » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:
Moggy wrote:As much as I slag off my employers (and they usually deserve it!), this from our American overlords is pretty decent:

No colleague should have to worry about job security. While we’re in the thick of this pandemic, your job is secure.

There will be no counting of sick days or vacation days until life returns to normal. If you’re working from home and you have loved ones to take care of, we’ll be flexible with when and how you work. If you’re temporarily unable to work from home, you’ll be paid as usual, without having to use paid sick time or vacation time.


Although it makes me wonder what's stopping me just taking the next month off as holiday. ;)


I think we work from the same comany as got that message verbatim. From Dan and Lori?


Image


Boss is that you?


Image


Dan can I have some of that $17m you got paid last year? Share price has slide a bit lately.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Ecno wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:
Moggy wrote:As much as I slag off my employers (and they usually deserve it!), this from our American overlords is pretty decent:

No colleague should have to worry about job security. While we’re in the thick of this pandemic, your job is secure.

There will be no counting of sick days or vacation days until life returns to normal. If you’re working from home and you have loved ones to take care of, we’ll be flexible with when and how you work. If you’re temporarily unable to work from home, you’ll be paid as usual, without having to use paid sick time or vacation time.


Although it makes me wonder what's stopping me just taking the next month off as holiday. ;)


I think we work from the same comany as got that message verbatim. From Dan and Lori?


Image


Boss is that you?


Image


Dan can I have some of that $17m you got paid last year? Share price has slide a bit lately.


I’m afraid we are all in this together. I can assure you that I’m suffering along with everyone else.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Peter Crisp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:22 pm

He's being forced to stay in just one of his 5 houses for more than a week at a time and can't use his private jet even a little :cry: .

What a trooper.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
JChalmers
Member
Joined in 2010
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by JChalmers » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:07 am

So the whole company got an email today saying from 6th April majority of the staff will be furloughing until August 31st (date could be earlier), had a call with my boss and he needs me to stay on full pay working. To say I’m relieved is an understatement, couldn’t afford a 20% pay cut at the moment so I’m happy to still work from home. Feel for most of my colleagues who are now going to be off work and having to take a paycut. It’s such surreal times at the moment. Currently both me and the mrs working from home while also trying to keep a 4 year old entertained. To say it’s testing is a understatement!

Switch Friend Code - SW-0524-9164-4813
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:14 am

Damn, that's ages JC! At least it's worked out for you.

My place is a little concerned that the lockdown could get stricter for online stores.

How do they decide how much you get if you're furloughed? I get paid for the overtime I do, and I always do overtime. Would I just get 80% of 37.5 hours (my regular hours) a week, or an average of my last 3 wages, or something else?

User avatar
JChalmers
Member
Joined in 2010
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by JChalmers » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am

That's not a growth wrote:Damn, that's ages JC! At least it's worked out for you.

My place is a little concerned that the lockdown could get stricter for online stores.

How do they decide how much you get if you're furloughed? I get paid for the overtime I do, and I always do overtime. Would I just get 80% of 37.5 hours (my regular hours) a week, or an average of my last 3 wages, or something else?


Apparently they've done it until then as a worse case scenario, apparently at the time the Government scheme is only until May 31st and then it'll be reviewed but all the paperwork for it etc is massive so they've done it for this period of time as they can cancel it at any moment with ease.

I'm not sure how they work it out if you're paid by the hour etc, we're all salaries so it's easy to work out the 80% of monthly salary etc.

But yeah definitely happy that I'm staying on for the time being. There is a chance down the line I might have to be furloughed but I run the biggest account in our company so they're hoping the sales from them/work I can do to make them stronger going forwards will help the company continue to run.

Switch Friend Code - SW-0524-9164-4813
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Dual » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:36 am

That's not a growth wrote:Damn, that's ages JC! At least it's worked out for you.

My place is a little concerned that the lockdown could get stricter for online stores.

How do they decide how much you get if you're furloughed? I get paid for the overtime I do, and I always do overtime. Would I just get 80% of 37.5 hours (my regular hours) a week, or an average of my last 3 wages, or something else?


There's advice on gov.uk

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:11 pm

Dual wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:Damn, that's ages JC! At least it's worked out for you.

My place is a little concerned that the lockdown could get stricter for online stores.

How do they decide how much you get if you're furloughed? I get paid for the overtime I do, and I always do overtime. Would I just get 80% of 37.5 hours (my regular hours) a week, or an average of my last 3 wages, or something else?


There's advice on gov.uk


So there is! Cheers dual, didn't cross my mind they'd be that organised so quickly.


Employees whose pay varies
If the employee has been employed (or engaged by an employment business) for a full twelve months prior to the claim, you can claim for the higher of either:

[*] the same month’s earning from the previous year
[*] average monthly earnings from the 2019-20 tax year

If the employee has been employed for less than a year, you can claim for an average of their monthly earnings since they started work.

If the employee only started in February 2020, use a pro-rata for their earnings so far to claim.

Once you’ve worked out how much of an employee’s salary you can claim for, you must then work out the amount of Employer National Insurance Contributions and minimum automatic enrolment employer pension contributions you are entitled to claim.


So essentially it'll be based on an average. Seems fair.

User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by gaminglegend » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 pm

I (stupidly now) switched jobs last week. I started on the Monday and we’d closed by the end of the week. I wasn’t on the payroll for furlong long enough. My employer said he’d take care of me (privately owned business) and seemed generally gutted at his staff losing out.

Last week even though we were closed he paid the full rota for the non salaried positions anyway which was nice of him.

Called me today to say I can’t get the furlong but he’s still looking to sort something out and not to worry he’ll call me Monday.

I’m really bummed that he probably can’t afford to pay me. The hard part with the furlong is you don’t get it now (the business) so essentially you have to have the cash at hand/be willing to take a loan to pay the staff. I’d be alright if that furlong grant came through now I think because it would essentially be saving him money.

I sourced a retail interview today just to cover my back & ended up misreading the location and ending up at the wrong place :fp:

I don’t get down often but I think I do with work, it’s my identity in a way. Last April the company I work for went under, I got no redundancy & no pay for 2 months until I got a new role. Was horrible. (I know this is a global unforeseen situation but sometimes you need to moan)

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 pm

Errkal wrote:
Kezzer wrote:
Errkal wrote:Interview today for a job in IT development where I work. ...


how did it go?


Good I think, felt more like a conversation than an interview, as was on Skype due to virus I was able to demo the various things I’ve made in ops rather than just talk about them which I think helped.

Just got to wait and see now


Awaiting proper details and that but looks like I'm going to be offered the job :D

Assuming it isnt a pay cut and stuff (same banding but bands cover a massive pay range) it looks like soon I'll be a "proper" developer :D

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by That's not a growth » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:52 pm

That's great, nice one!

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Slight pay rise, nothing mega but wasn’t expecting one, it’s starting basically at the bottom of the developer tree.

On the bright side I have a career path and gooseberry fool if I take it.

Actually have to decide now. There isn’t really a chance I won’t take it, I won’t be the special lone developer making gooseberry fool but really I need to make this move so better to do it earlier.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Hexx » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 am

Just joined a new team

Email around today for a wedding present for TeamMember.

Should I feel guilty for ignoring/deleting?

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Jenuall » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:24 am

Hexx wrote:Just joined a new team

Email around today for a wedding present for TeamMember.

Should I feel guilty for ignoring/deleting?

Are they collecting money or something? I'd probably still chuck a £5 into the kitty if so, doesn't hurt to contribute even if you've only been on the team a day.

If they're asking for a more substantial contribution then I think you are okay to politely decline.

Image
User avatar
Red
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Pons Aelius

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Red » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 am

Yeah, I'd give a token gesture to show a willingness to be friendly and integrate.

Coconut Bob wrote:You come across as feminine as a cave troll so its no wonder you have little concept of the way females should behave.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Dual » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:28 am

Ignore it.

User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Kezzer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:28 am

Errkal wrote:Slight pay rise, nothing mega but wasn’t expecting one, it’s starting basically at the bottom of the developer tree.

On the bright side I have a career path and gooseberry fool if I take it.

Actually have to decide now. There isn’t really a chance I won’t take it, I won’t be the special lone developer making gooseberry fool but really I need to make this move so better to do it earlier.


Congratulations!! :toot: :toot:

Image
Image
Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Ecno » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Also feel it depends how far away their wedding is. If someone's leaving card is going round and I've only been there a week I wouldn't even sign it, but if they're not getting married for 6 months you might know them by then and wish you'd contributed/signed it.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Peter Crisp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:34 pm

Just let them know that you'll chip in for the commiseration fund when they get divorced in a couple of years.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Red
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Pons Aelius

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Red » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:26 pm

The company I freelance for is shutting down for the duration so that's all my income gone.

Not a complete disaster as I'd saved to take a year out to study so this was more a top-up than critical to my survival, but still not great overall, especially as with this massive recession coming I'll be lucky to find a job straight after graduation so I'll need a bit extra to tide me over.

Coconut Bob wrote:You come across as feminine as a cave troll so its no wonder you have little concept of the way females should behave.

Return to “Stuff”