The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Clarkman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:57 pm

That's not a growth wrote:Ok, seriously, how do you find a new job. I just keep getting rejected with blanket statements, and people refuse to give you feedback. I'm only finding about 2 or 3 jobs a month to apply for at most. I've had people help me with my CV and personal statement. I just want a job that pays enough so that I can get a mortgage, but doesn't make me want to kill myself. How is that so difficult. I'm running a project worth over £1m, I must not be a complete idiot.


Hello mate, I work as a recruiter and can probably help to optimise your CV and find out where the issues are. Drop me a PM.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:08 pm

The bloody Bradford score system is pissing everybody off again.

Somebody was off sick at the end of last week and was still sick on Monday and Tuesday this week. They tried to work on Monday but they left after an hour as they really were not well enough to be in.

Now the company is classing that as two periods of sickness, rather than the one period. Which ramps this persons Bradford score up horrifically and means they have to have a meeting with HR to discuss it. If it was classed as one period of sick, this person would have been just below the threshold. So by trying to come in and get back to work, this person is being penalised, if they had just stayed in bed on Monday then they would have been absolutely fine.

Moral of the story is don’t even strawberry floating bother trying to make any effort at all, you are far better off staying home.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:12 pm

The prick should be penalised for coming into the office and spreading germs around. Fully deserved. :datass:

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Bradford aside it sounds like they shouldn't have come back as weren't well enough and so would have posed a risk to the rest of the office.

But that it is still bradfordly bollocks

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Rocsteady » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:40 pm

We dont have a system, if you're too sick to work you take it off. Treated like adults :datass:

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:36 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The prick should be penalised for coming into the office and spreading germs around. Fully deserved. :datass:



Errkal wrote:Bradford aside it sounds like they shouldn't have come back as weren't well enough and so would have posed a risk to the rest of the office.

But that it is still bradfordly bollocks


There was no risk to the rest of the office as it wasn’t a contagious disease.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:37 am

Moggy wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The prick should be penalised for coming into the office and spreading germs around. Fully deserved. :datass:



Errkal wrote:Bradford aside it sounds like they shouldn't have come back as weren't well enough and so would have posed a risk to the rest of the office.

But that it is still bradfordly bollocks


There was no risk to the rest of the office as it wasn’t a contagious disease.

Seeing sick people reminds us of our mortality and is therefore undesirable.

In all seriousness though I don't know why whoever is in charge of policy implementation at your place keeps doing it incorrectly. It shouldn't count as two separate occurrences.

Image
User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Albear » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:21 am

I think that's got a lot to do with the manager being a dick more than anything else.

Why you wouldnt allow your employee to count that as 1 period of sickness after they have tried to do the right thing is beyond me.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:29 am

I don't think it is the managers fault, from what I have heard it is just company policy and has been like that for a few years. If you are off sick they count it as one occurrence, if you come back into the office (even just for an hour before leaving) then they will count it as a separate occurrence.

It's good to know though, the next time I am sick I am not coming back into the office until I am 100% better. They can strawberry float off if I am going to come back if I feel even slightly sick.

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Rax » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 am

Our office is currenlty slowly flooding, good times!

User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by sawyerpip » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:48 am

Moggy wrote:I don't think it is the managers fault, from what I have heard it is just company policy and has been like that for a few years. If you are off sick they count it as one occurrence, if you come back into the office (even just for an hour before leaving) then they will count it as a separate occurrence.

It's good to know though, the next time I am sick I am not coming back into the office until I am 100% better. They can strawberry float off if I am going to come back if I feel even slightly sick.


Strictly speaking it may be company policy, but surely the manager can use some common sense and their discretion in this instance.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Cuttooth » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 am

Surely a union body could step in for something that unreasonable?

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 am

sawyerpip wrote:Strictly speaking it may be company policy, but surely the manager can use some common sense and their discretion in this instance.


The manager is only a temporary manager, he is covering the actual manager who is on maternity leave. He's just doing what he is told by the higher ups.

Cuttooth wrote:Surely a union body could step in for something that unreasonable?


We don't have a union.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Drumstick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:37 am

How can it be correct for a company to apply a formula incorrectly? If Moggy's mob decided to dismiss the employee, couldn't she just go to a tribunal and point out that the company have actually miscalculated her level of absence and they'd be forced to do a u-turn?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Moggy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:42 am

Drumstick wrote:How can it be correct for a company to apply a formula incorrectly? If Moggy's mob decided to dismiss the employee, couldn't she just go to a tribunal and point out that the company have actually miscalculated her level of absence and they'd be forced to do a u-turn?


I am not sure that they are using the formula incorrectly, the formula itself is used correctly the controversy is over their definition of an occurrence of sickness.

Sensible people would see somebody trying to work but having to leave as being the same period of sickness as the days before it.

Idiots at my company see her coming in as her being “back to work” and when she left it became a separate occurrence.

As far as I know she is not at risk of being sacked over this, she just has to have a formal meeting with HR to discuss sickness and she’ll probably be told she will not be paid for sickness until her Bradford score drops back below the threshold.

She was going to write off the hour or two that she came in for, but I have told her that if they want to class that as work, then she should also class that as work and leave early at some point before the end of the month. :lol:

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Errkal » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Moggy wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:Surely a union body could step in for something that unreasonable?


We don't have a union.


Pretty much everything has a union, probably Unite would cover whatever sector you are in.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:30 pm

GRcade is the strawberry floating worst when you're trying to do a job application.

At least GRcade has no psots anymore, which makes it harder to procrastinate.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Green Gecko » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 pm

What are you talking about. GRcade effectively prevents me from doing my job at least 70% of the time.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by DML » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Rocsteady wrote:We dont have a system, if you're too sick to work you take it off. Treated like adults :datass:


Amen to that!

Image
pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by pjbetman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 am

.

Last edited by pjbetman on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garth, Peter Crisp and 42 guests