Page 3 of 5

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am
by Photek
Karl wrote:Pewdiepie is a racist alt-right shitlord, so it doesn't surprise me that he's been linked to this.

The world being how it is, I'm sure his subscriber count will go up, which will be all he cares about.

What do you mean 'linked to this'? I'm no fan of Pewdiepie but you can't seriously think he has anything to do with anything to do with this.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 am
by Karl_
Photek wrote:
Karl wrote:Pewdiepie is a racist alt-right shitlord, so it doesn't surprise me that he's been linked to this.

The world being how it is, I'm sure his subscriber count will go up, which will be all he cares about.

What do you mean 'linked to this'? I'm no fan of Pewdiepie but you can't seriously think he has anything to do with anything to do with this.

Ah, sorry, that was probably a bad choice of words. He's obviously not directly involved, but my understanding (I'm trying to avoid reading too many details as it's upsetting me) is that the terrorist who was live-streaming it was a fan and included references to him in his "manifesto".

You can say oh, that's not his fault, except he deliberately cultivates and panders to that audience.

EDIT: Anyway, I dunno, it's probably not the right time to start a debate on it like that. My bad.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:36 am
by Corazon de Leon
I don't know much about PewDiePie other than that he seems like a massive racist.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am
by Dual
What are the gun laws in NZ?

Edit: appear to be quite stringent from a quick wiki search

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:51 am
by Moggy
From what I gather the terrorist was an Australian who flew to New Zealand to do this because he hated immigration and thought his country was being “invaded”.

A strawberry floating Australian wants to murder people because of “invasion”? And will go to another country to kill because of immigrants?

There are no swear words strong enough for this waste of oxygen.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:03 am
by Preezy
LewisD wrote:It saddens me that my first thought to this thread title was:

"What American state is NZ...?"

Same.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:11 am
by Benzin
Shame all the media have links to the video/"manifesto" so everyone can watch it to their hearts content, expanding the scope for those with similar opinions to get involved in incidents like this.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am
by Tafdolphin
Glad I'm not the only one who found CRD's suggestion strawberry floating disgusting.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:15 am
by Karl_

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
by Jenuall
gooseberry fool, only just seen this. Any mass shooting is an horrific act but to livestream it? What the hell is wrong with the world? :fp:

We are seeing a continuing rise in the extreme right and it is frightening to witness and at this point in time, with the current political and social climate, I can see no other future than one where it continues to get worse. :cry:

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am
by Preezy
Time used to be (back when I was a teenager) that I'd probably have sought out the footage from a morbid curiosity perspective, but nowadays I just find anything like that pretty repugnant and...low. Like, if you seek out stuff like that you're a low person. I know that's probably not the right word but I can't think of an alternative.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am
by Karl_
I've seen bits and bobs of the manifesto being discussed on Twitter. It would be better if it were somehow quarantined, but it's... just not, unfortunately, so you're bound to see some of it.

Actually seeking out his writing or watching the video he made of the shooting is just gross.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 am
by Rex Kramer
Jenuall wrote:gooseberry fool, only just seen this. Any mass shooting is an horrific act but to livestream it? What the hell is wrong with the world? :fp:

We are seeing a continuing rise in the extreme right and it is frightening to witness and at this point in time, with the current political and social climate, I can see no other future than one where it continues to get worse. :cry:

The thing that really depresses me though is that something like this not only empowers the extreme right but also seems to lead to more right wing governments which seems bizarre given they're sharing at least some of the ideologies of these strawberry floaters (albeit significantly watered down).

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am
by OrangeRKN
There's been a mass shooting at a mosque? I thought mass was a catholic thing

All media reporting on the killer's "manifesto" and live-stream are being highly irresponsible. Stop making the body count the headline. Stop analysing every little aspect of the killer's life. Stop giving a play-by-play breakdown of how it happened. If you want to report on anything, concentrate on the victims and the tragic loss of life. Humanise the victims, ignore the perpetrator. Don't reduce the dead to a number while portraying the killer as some kind of anti-hero.

Also that senator who started victim blaming is the lowest form of lowlife undeserved of office.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am
by Jenuall
OrangeRKN wrote:There's been a mass shooting at a mosque? I thought mass was a catholic thing

All media reporting on the killer's "manifesto" and live-stream are being highly irresponsible. Stop making the body count the headline. Stop analysing every little aspect of the killer's life. Stop giving a play-by-play breakdown of how it happened. If you want to report on anything, concentrate on the victims and the tragic loss of life. Humanise the victims, ignore the perpetrator. Don't reduce the dead to a number while portraying the killer as some kind of anti-hero.

Also that senator who started victim blaming is the lowest form of lowlife undeserved of office.


Obligatory:


Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:27 am
by OrangeRKN
I might just start emailing that link to Ofcom every week

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 am
by SandyCoin
Preezy wrote:Time used to be (back when I was a teenager) that I'd probably have sought out the footage from a morbid curiosity perspective, but nowadays I just find anything like that pretty repugnant and...low. Like, if you seek out stuff like that you're a low person. I know that's probably not the right word but I can't think of an alternative.


Yeah, certainly in my early teens I looked at some pretty sketchy stuff online out of monstrous curiosity. Then again any weird stuff I watched back then was old footage, not literally hours after it happened.

I had Twitter open on a second screen at work, and when I turned to it, it was strawberry floating footage of something I really didn't want to see (it's kind of etched in my mind for now unfortunately). Actively going out your way to watch this though is pretty strawberry floated up.

Awful news. I really do despair for humanity, and I know this gooseberry fool is only going to get worse as nobody seems to be countering it. Just pandering to these banana splits.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 am
by OrangeRKN
People enjoy rubbernecking, despite it being harmful. That's why it's the media (and social media platforms) that have to take responsibility for not encouraging it and not sharing videos and the like. If they don't take responsibility (which they clearly don't) then it needs to be legislated.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ --- condolences & news update thread

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 pm
by Photek
I thought I was clicking on a pic on twitter but when it start rolling I switched it off, seen about 3 seconds and that was enough tbh.

Re: There's been a mass shooting at a mosque in NZ

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm
by Squinty
Corazon de Leon wrote:I don't know much about PewDiePie other than that he seems like a massive racist.


Awful YouTube videos.