AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Lotus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:58 am

To avoid derailing the nostalgia thread...

The current BBC 1 idents are so annoying. Crap music (the steel drums one), people doing stupid poses (the sports ones), or other random shouting/noise that get annoying after you've seen them two or three times, let alone the hundreds or thousands of times I've seen them now. Worse is when they play it in between some programmes as a filler and it's just the same thing repeated for 10 mins. The BBC 2 ones are far less intrusive and annoying, as are some of the older BBC 1 idents. Surely if there's something that's going to be on-air for about a decade, one key requirement is not make it noisy, obnoxious, and annoying.

User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Vermilion » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Lotus wrote:To avoid derailing the nostalgia thread...

The current BBC 1 idents are so annoying. Crap music (the steel drums one), people doing stupid poses (the sports ones), or other random shouting/noise that get annoying after you've seen them two or three times, let alone the hundreds or thousands of times I've seen them now. Worse is when they play it in between some programmes as a filler and it's just the same thing repeated for 10 mins. The BBC 2 ones are far less intrusive and annoying, as are some of the older BBC 1 idents. Surely if there's something that's going to be on-air for about a decade, one key requirement is not make it noisy, obnoxious, and annoying.


The best BBC1 idents were the circular ones (hippos/bicycles etc) which were ditched in favour of what we have now.

I was also fond of the 90's globe hot air balloon.

The early 2000's dance ones though were a bit crap.

User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Winckle » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:26 am

Don’t watch live tv, problem solved.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Green Gecko » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Errkal wrote:
Tsunade wrote:I only have Facebook, and the only reason I have that is because of messenger. About 2 years ago I reconnected with 2 friends from my teen years that live miles away and I'd hate to lose contact again. If it weren't for them I wouldn't bother with it.


You can deactivate your FB account and the Messenger account stays active.

Yeah I did this for about 2 years. No good if you want them to delete your gooseberry fool, although I suppose you could go backwards and nuke stuff... That isn't all of it though, it's literally pages upon pages, spreadsheets worth of stuff that you never entered anywhere.

I deleted my FB account ages ago, strawberry float all came of it, got a couple of friends to add my pseudo (I think I have at present about 5 people on there) to add me to group chats, job done.

I still get stuck on the strawberry floating thing reading a couple of digital fabrication, local art, buy and sell groups etc.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Knoyleo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Lotus wrote:To avoid derailing the nostalgia thread...

The current BBC 1 idents are so annoying. Crap music (the steel drums one), people doing stupid poses (the sports ones), or other random shouting/noise that get annoying after you've seen them two or three times, let alone the hundreds or thousands of times I've seen them now. Worse is when they play it in between some programmes as a filler and it's just the same thing repeated for 10 mins. The BBC 2 ones are far less intrusive and annoying, as are some of the older BBC 1 idents. Surely if there's something that's going to be on-air for about a decade, one key requirement is not make it noisy, obnoxious, and annoying.


Spoilered as NSFW

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Errkal » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:10 pm

Green Gecko wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Tsunade wrote:I only have Facebook, and the only reason I have that is because of messenger. About 2 years ago I reconnected with 2 friends from my teen years that live miles away and I'd hate to lose contact again. If it weren't for them I wouldn't bother with it.


You can deactivate your FB account and the Messenger account stays active.

Yeah I did this for about 2 years. No good if you want them to delete your gooseberry fool, although I suppose you could go backwards and nuke stuff... That isn't all of it though, it's literally pages upon pages, spreadsheets worth of stuff that you never entered anywhere.

I deleted my FB account ages ago, strawberry float all came of it, got a couple of friends to add my pseudo (I think I have at present about 5 people on there) to add me to group chats, job done.

I still get stuck on the strawberry floating thing reading a couple of digital fabrication, local art, buy and sell groups etc.


Yeah I deleted a year ago or so. I used WhatsApp and Instagram but that's it now.

Messenger is decent as is cross platform, really wish there was an android and ios version of WhatsApp web like in Windows as it's really annoying only being able to messenge on my phone

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Green Gecko » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:07 pm

The fact you have to sign into a smartphone to use whatsapp is super annoying. I want that gooseberry fool off during the day and most of my down time as well.

It's not like they can't send you a OTP/2-step code to your mobile to prove you have access to that number as I know they treat it as unique ID / username and it's not to do with end to end encryption either (is it) because you can still SSL encrypt stuff between whatever virtual client and the server?

I think they just know engagement is slower and longer on mobile phones which is better for businesses and in-app links etc.

Only solution really is to resign to some ancient smartphone on another SIM card and leave that signed in and buried under some concrete or something so never actually use it. Mostly talking about biz use and those 1 or 2 massive group chats everyone seems to have going for eternity.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by KK » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 am

Visited Eurogamer today for the Xbox nudes, and they're now blocking aspects of their website (such as video) if you decline certain cookies.

There's also a story about eBay scalpers selling Mario 3D for £200...except in tabloid fashion, they're not. They've just listed them for £200. Anyone can do that (and unscrupulous journos did in the past just to get their story).

Remember when Eurogamer used to be a quality outfit back in the 2000s...

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Moggy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:03 pm

People who email with a query but don't tell you what the query is.

"Hi, I have a query on my benefits, could you call me back to discuss?"

Why not tell me the damn query so I can call you with an answer, rather than calling you to find out what it is, then having to call you back again once I've investigated?

Twats.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Jenuall » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:04 pm

Moggy's negotiations to establish a "friends with benefits" relationship were not going well.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Victor Mildew » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:06 pm

Moggy wrote:People who email with a query but don't tell you what the query is.

"Hi, I have a query on my benefits, could you call me back to discuss?"

Why not tell me the damn query so I can call you with an answer, rather than calling you to find out what it is, then having to call you back again once I've investigated?

Twats.


Kind of related, but since our company has adopted ms teams as it's one stop shop for all chat etc, it's become an absolute strawberry floater for things like this.

Someone sends a half arsed email > sends hello in teams > you say hi back and they IMMEDIATELY call you from within teams to talk about their email. strawberry float off!

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Jenuall » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:30 pm

Microsoft teams? Microsoft s-team-ing pile of gooseberry fool more like!

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Drumstick » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Moggy wrote:People who email with a query but don't tell you what the query is.

"Hi, I have a query on my benefits, could you call me back to discuss?"

Why not tell me the damn query so I can call you with an answer, rather than calling you to find out what it is, then having to call you back again once I've investigated?

Twats.

Even better, had they told you the query, you could have emailed back instead of calling.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Peter Crisp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:12 am

Jenuall wrote:Microsoft teams? Microsoft s-team-ing pile of gooseberry fool more like!


I've never used it but I don't understand how something as seemingly simple as a video conference program can be gooseberry fool in 2020?

How have they messed it up as (I've honestly never used a video conference program) surely as long as the video is stable and everyone can see each other with room for text stuff as well then whats gone wrong?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
RJ Badman
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by RJ Badman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:14 am

Victor Mildew wrote:Someone sends a half arsed email > sends hello in teams > you say hi back and they IMMEDIATELY call you from within teams to talk about their email. strawberry float off!


Lee Evans took the piss out of these jobbers like 20 years ago.

Opinions expressed in this post are those of RJ Badman and do not reflect the views of Bovril Fluid Beef Ltd.
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Drumstick » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:44 am

Honestly I would just reject the call and explain that you're unable to talk at the moment. Just say you're having work done on the house and it's very loud.

Then close Teams and never open it again.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Minty14
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Minty14 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:23 am

Peter Crisp wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Microsoft teams? Microsoft s-team-ing pile of gooseberry fool more like!


I've never used it but I don't understand how something as seemingly simple as a video conference program can be gooseberry fool in 2020?

How have they messed it up as (I've honestly never used a video conference program) surely as long as the video is stable and everyone can see each other with room for text stuff as well then whats gone wrong?

Teams is really good for calling and messaging tbf

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Errkal » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:27 am

Minty14 wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Microsoft teams? Microsoft s-team-ing pile of gooseberry fool more like!


I've never used it but I don't understand how something as seemingly simple as a video conference program can be gooseberry fool in 2020?

How have they messed it up as (I've honestly never used a video conference program) surely as long as the video is stable and everyone can see each other with room for text stuff as well then whats gone wrong?

Teams is really good for calling and messaging tbf


Yeah teams is brilliant. Anyone bitching about it being rubbish has clearly never never used Skype for Business or its predecessors.

That said Teams can get strawberry floated over by idiot it security teams nerfing features.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Victor Mildew » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:17 am

Minty14 wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Microsoft teams? Microsoft s-team-ing pile of gooseberry fool more like!


I've never used it but I don't understand how something as seemingly simple as a video conference program can be gooseberry fool in 2020?

How have they messed it up as (I've honestly never used a video conference program) surely as long as the video is stable and everyone can see each other with room for text stuff as well then whats gone wrong?

Teams is really good for calling and messaging tbf


The video and audio is superb, that's not the problem. It's that is also used as a portal for peope to bother you as if walking up to your desk and just sitting down to talk to you without asking if you're free. I'm getting bare bones emails, then instant messages followed by a call about the email, all within teams. It's intrusive.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. I can see you're on your lunch break ...FREE FOR A CHAT?
by Jenuall » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 am

Victor Mildew wrote:
Minty14 wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Microsoft teams? Microsoft s-team-ing pile of gooseberry fool more like!


I've never used it but I don't understand how something as seemingly simple as a video conference program can be gooseberry fool in 2020?

How have they messed it up as (I've honestly never used a video conference program) surely as long as the video is stable and everyone can see each other with room for text stuff as well then whats gone wrong?

Teams is really good for calling and messaging tbf


The video and audio is superb, that's not the problem. It's that is also used as a portal for peope to bother you as if walking up to your desk and just sitting down to talk to you without asking if you're free. I'm getting bare bones emails, then instant messages followed by a call about the email, all within teams. It's intrusive.

Yeah like anything the problem is the people more than the software, it's just given idiots another layer through which to confuse their own communication mechanisms!

I do think that Teams itself has some issues as well - the video conferencing is limited to a much smaller number of active participants than other competing services, we've had more problems with video quality since we started using Teams as well. Additionally things like how it handles notifications and general alerting to the user that something needs your attention is poor - in certain cases if you miss a pop up then the only thing telling you there is something that needs your attention is if you have the window open and notice that a bit of text has turned bold - there's no icon or badge to make it more obvious.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Albear, Alvin Flummux, Chocolate-Milk, Christopher, El Contador, Meep, Met, Oblomov Boblomov, Return_of_the_STAR, TonyDA and 173 guests