AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Moggy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Trelliz wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Anyone who lived around Exeter back in the day may well also remember the local radio station Gemini FM.

For some reason, they had a strange obsession with the music of REM, Shania Twain, and Robbie Williams.


Sounds like GWR, a radio station we used to have. Although you'd have to swap REM for Texas.


Wow, I remember GWR, 2-Ten FM etc, all absorbed into Heart now...


Image

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Green Gecko » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Heskimo wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:It's not easier though when asking Google is literally easier lol. But some people I think want to engage with a person in that way and so they value that more, even if it's a colossal waste of time for content creators etc.


Not 100% sure what you're saying with the first line as I was as saying that punching the question into Google is easier. The manual bit was a bit of a tangent but it still falls under "the information is right there for you".

As for engaging with people - I understand that some people would rather do that than search for things themselves but I feel like a level of respect for people's time should come into it - search first, then if you can't find it, fair enough - ask away. I'll still always help people out when they ask, but it doesn't stop it being frustrating when people ask you where you found all your useful information and your answer is "...the manual..." or "I Googled it."

Drumstick wrote:Have you considered that people want your opinion in particular?

Like if I want to know whether or not Exeter is a fun place I'm not going to ask strawberry floating Google, I'm gonna ask Jenuall.


The kind of thing I was referring to was about simple factual information rather than opinion. Of course, I'd be flattered that anyone cares about my opinion when it comes to that side of things and am happy to weigh in on that as and when people ask.

So, yes - I have considered that. And I imagine most people complaining about the same thing would also have considered it.

edit - lol at the example though :lol:

First thing I was referring to your suspicion users want things to be even easier than conducting research (Ie search engine). I say "it's not easier to ask on YouTube comments", by which I'm agreeing with you that this is probably a waste of both parties time.

From a business logic standpoint though, I wouldn't spend forever answering questions this way but it does build brand trust and someone might follow or subscribe your channel if you answer their questions however briefly. In enough time followers will start answering each other's questions on your behalf, also just to get approval/attention in parasocial relationships, or because they're genuinely helpful individuals. The community starts to self serve, for example, I don't answer all the questions posted on this website but everyone posting here probably approves of the GRcade brand/ethic in some way or another. Way back before I was admin or whatever it is now I did however answer loads of questions in "Ask the Forum" and I suppose that kind of contributed to a culture of "quick to GRcade" to ask questions.

Part of the reason YouTube is so successful is also because it's a weird mashup of forums/Q&A dialogue and video content, a lot of the attraction and also the fallout and controversies surrounding YouTube aren't about its video comment but the comment "below the fold" ie the comments that have always been a part of it.

I know successful youtubers have said, for a time they would respond to every Tom dick and Harry so to speak and then they just gave up and stopped reading the comments completely, they use other platforms for that or they just run podcasts with people they respect.

It's also interesting this scenario, people "Google" something like the name of an instrument or song or how to play etc, Google will very likely return a video result on the first page because that's how they've optimised their engine in recent years but also to monetise YouTube ever since they purchased it. So the original query possibly did come from Google and is then misdirected to you.

By and large agreeing with what you say however objectively there might be a small opportunity there too. I'd answer their question and then not bother following up on it.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Vermilion » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Trelliz wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Anyone who lived around Exeter back in the day may well also remember the local radio station Gemini FM.

For some reason, they had a strange obsession with the music of REM, Shania Twain, and Robbie Williams.


Sounds like GWR, a radio station we used to have. Although you'd have to swap REM for Texas.


Wow, I remember GWR, 2-Ten FM etc, all absorbed into Heart now...


I remember 2-Ten (can't remember where it was based, but i did end up listening at some point), there was also Orchard FM (Yeovil), Spire FM (Salisbury), and Fox FM (Oxford).

No idea if any of those still exist mind.

Found some logos to add to Moggy's GWR one too (i also used to listen to GWR as a kid).

Image

Image

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Guy Brush of Lincolnshire

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Chocolate-Milk » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:02 pm

My phone updated to OneUI 3.0 and I hate it


Stop making everything rounded and translucent


Give me back my black menu bars you banana splits

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Jenuall » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Trelliz wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Anyone who lived around Exeter back in the day may well also remember the local radio station Gemini FM.

For some reason, they had a strange obsession with the music of REM, Shania Twain, and Robbie Williams.


Sounds like GWR, a radio station we used to have. Although you'd have to swap REM for Texas.


Wow, I remember GWR, 2-Ten FM etc, all absorbed into Heart now...


I remember 2-Ten (can't remember where it was based, but i did end up listening at some point), there was also Orchard FM (Yeovil), Spire FM (Salisbury), and Fox FM (Oxford).

No idea if any of those still exist mind.

Found some logos to add to Moggy's GWR one too (i also used to listen to GWR as a kid).

Image

Image

Those are so much better than the gooseberry fool we had:

Image

We need a logo guys!

Shall we come up with something cool and eye catching?

Nah strawberry float it, just put the name of the station in a box.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Moggy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:45 pm

The cool kids listened to this station (it's Kiss now)

Image

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Vermilion » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Moggy wrote:The cool kids listened to this station (it's Kiss now)

Image


If i remember correctly, they used to play a lot of dance music.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Moggy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Moggy wrote:The cool kids listened to this station (it's Kiss now)

Image


If i remember correctly, they used to play a lot of dance music.


Yeah they were mostly dance music.

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Vermilion » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Moggy wrote:The cool kids listened to this station (it's Kiss now)

Image


If i remember correctly, they used to play a lot of dance music.


Yeah they were mostly dance music.


Used to listen to them when travelling up and down the M5 back in the day.

User avatar
Heskimo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Blackpool

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Heskimo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Green Gecko wrote:First thing I was referring to your suspicion users want things to be even easier than conducting research (Ie search engine). I say "it's not easier to ask on YouTube comments", by which I'm agreeing with you that this is probably a waste of both parties time.


Ahh, ok! Think I misread but gotcha now!

Green Gecko wrote:From a business logic standpoint though, I wouldn't spend forever answering questions this way but it does build brand trust and someone might follow or subscribe your channel if you answer their questions however briefly. In enough time followers will start answering each other's questions on your behalf, also just to get approval/attention in parasocial relationships, or because they're genuinely helpful individuals. The community starts to self serve, for example, I don't answer all the questions posted on this website but everyone posting here probably approves of the GRcade brand/ethic in some way or another. Way back before I was admin or whatever it is now I did however answer loads of questions in "Ask the Forum" and I suppose that kind of contributed to a culture of "quick to GRcade" to ask questions.

Part of the reason YouTube is so successful is also because it's a weird mashup of forums/Q&A dialogue and video content, a lot of the attraction and also the fallout and controversies surrounding YouTube aren't about its video comment but the comment "below the fold" ie the comments that have always been a part of it.

I know successful youtubers have said, for a time they would respond to every Tom dick and Harry so to speak and then they just gave up and stopped reading the comments completely, they use other platforms for that or they just run podcasts with people they respect.

It's also interesting this scenario, people "Google" something like the name of an instrument or song or how to play etc, Google will very likely return a video result on the first page because that's how they've optimised their engine in recent years but also to monetise YouTube ever since they purchased it. So the original query possibly did come from Google and is then misdirected to you.

By and large agreeing with what you say however objectively there might be a small opportunity there too. I'd answer their question and then not bother following up on it.


Oh yeah, I'm currently still in that stage - I used to reply to literally every comment and now I still do reply to 90% of them. If it's a question asked directly to me I will always reply unless it's incredibly negative or blatant trolling. I still often reply with long, information-packed answers to questions asking for help or advice because, as you say, I want to instill a level of authority or knowledge of my chosen topic and genuinely want to help people get better results from their electronic drums. I also sell kit presets, so of course there's the business incentive. It can just get a bit monotonous when some of the questions are so easily available with information already provided with the product, a cursory search or even contained within the video they're commenting on :lol:

But, I have started to notice some queries will be replied to by others if I haven't got to them yet, so the beginnings of community in my comment sections are definitely happening. It's quite nice to see, to be honest and if things continue down the same path, I'm sure at some point there'll be too much to respond to and that wouldn't be a bad position to be in!

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 am

Qikzmas wrote:
Minty14 wrote:
Qikz wrote:While I hate people who don't google, for some things if you google you're more likely to find something that doesn't work or isn't true than just asking someone with knowledge.

Especially true for tech stuff - if people are just told to google the answer to a problem, then eventually all we're left with are guides that are well out of date and irrelevant.


Also those people that end a thread saying - oh nvm I fixed it.

HOW, HOW YOU BASTARD HOW.

This.

There is a special corner of hell reserved for these bastards. The number of times I've been trying to resolve some bizarre issue I'm having on my PC and there are only three google results for it and all three of them are people saying "Yay I solved it!" before vanishing off into the infinite vastness of the internet with not a strawberry floating clue as to what they did.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Drumstick » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:08 am

Oversized Santa hats covering up avatars :x

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Zilnad » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:12 am

Yeah, on mobile it's an absolute mess. I wish it was an optional setting. I know it's a bit of silliness but I'll definitely be visiting the forum less while it looks like this. Gives me a headache.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Drumstick » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:28 am

Does this issue only affect mobile browsing?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Qikz » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:26 am

Change the theme on the forum, I'm on the theme with the discord icon and I can't see any santa hats.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Karl_ » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 am

Unfortunately what's fun for one person will always be annoying for someone else. Please feel free to change to the "No Fun" theme in your profile if you don't like logos, seasonal / thread-specific themes, etc - it's what it's there for. (You can alternatively AdBlock any particular element that annoys you.)

The mobile "big hat" glitch is fixed. Try refreshing if you're still seeing large hats on mobile. Thanks.

User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Balladeer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:40 am

Small hats confirmed. Thanks Karl! :wub:

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Zilnad » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Love me a small hat. They fit perfectly.

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Guy Brush of Lincolnshire

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Chocolate-Milk » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Trying to explain to my father-in-law why the BBC red button doesn't work anymore, and just brings up iPlayer. He's absolutely adamant that his brother's works fine and there must be a way to bring up the news on Ceefax, despite the fact that Ceefax hasn't existed for eight strawberry floating years. :fp:

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: AnnoyiNG things. HAPPY HOLIDAYS Y'ALL to all the thespians
by Jenuall » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Tinzilnad wrote:Love me a small hat. They fit perfectly.

thatsbait.gif

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Benzin, Chocolate-Milk, darksideby182, Grumpy David, Lex-Man, massimo, Qikz, Rawrgna, Tineash, Xeno and 194 guests