Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Peter Crisp » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Wrathy wrote:Can't say I'm hugely fond of this to be honest.

As part of the Pokemon cards hobby I need to visit the USA at least once a year (potentially more, as I'd like to play a couple more events there next season if possible) for the World Championships, so it's not something that ever won't affect me. Fortunately, I don't actually do anything on the internet other than talk about the Pokemon cards hobby, so I doubt they'll have any reason to do more than skim over it. But the shift from meaningless shouting to the void towards something governments actively analyse is not one I like. It's one step closer to actively persecuting wrongthink.


I think the problem people have is we can never really tell what's likely to get someone into trouble when they get into reviewing social media.
People could be stopped from going for what other people who are merely facebook friends have said.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Ironhide » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:
Wrathy wrote:Can't say I'm hugely fond of this to be honest.

As part of the Pokemon cards hobby I need to visit the USA at least once a year (potentially more, as I'd like to play a couple more events there next season if possible) for the World Championships, so it's not something that ever won't affect me. Fortunately, I don't actually do anything on the internet other than talk about the Pokemon cards hobby, so I doubt they'll have any reason to do more than skim over it. But the shift from meaningless shouting to the void towards something governments actively analyse is not one I like. It's one step closer to actively persecuting wrongthink.


I think the problem people have is we can never really tell what's likely to get someone into trouble when they get into reviewing social media.
People could be stopped from going for what other people who are merely facebook friends have said.


I think it's quite a worrying development and one of the reasons why I'm glad I don't post anything on social media sites (GRcade doesn't court right?).

A 1984 style future is very possible now that Big Brother (or Sister for that matter) is watching.

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:13 am

Ironhide wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
Wrathy wrote:Can't say I'm hugely fond of this to be honest.

As part of the Pokemon cards hobby I need to visit the USA at least once a year (potentially more, as I'd like to play a couple more events there next season if possible) for the World Championships, so it's not something that ever won't affect me. Fortunately, I don't actually do anything on the internet other than talk about the Pokemon cards hobby, so I doubt they'll have any reason to do more than skim over it. But the shift from meaningless shouting to the void towards something governments actively analyse is not one I like. It's one step closer to actively persecuting wrongthink.


I think the problem people have is we can never really tell what's likely to get someone into trouble when they get into reviewing social media.
People could be stopped from going for what other people who are merely facebook friends have said.


I think it's quite a worrying development and one of the reasons why I'm glad I don't post anything on social media sites (GRcade doesn't court right?).

A 1984 style future is very possible now that Big Brother (or Sister for that matter) is watching.


Don't kid yourself, we're very much in the realm of the Big Brother state and have been for some time.

Image Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The only place I've actually been to in the USA is Miami and honestly it smelled of piss everywhere and at one point I saw a homeless woman's hairy vagina while she was bent over literally just in the middle of the street having a gushing piss. There were people out of their minds on who knows what begging for money everywhere.

I got chatting to quite a few Americans during my time over there and it was staggering how all they wanted to talk about was how much money they earn, how much their families earn and how awful it must be for me to have to pay for immigrants to use the NHS.

I still really want to explore over there a lot more, but I'll be aiming for the west coast.


We’ve had wildly different experiences of the States. :lol:

Having said that Miami is absolutely not on my list of places to go anytime soon. It seems to be the American equivalent of Magaluf. Even it’s depiction in films(Bad Boys :dread: ) just makes it look gaudy and vile.

Oh I absolutely have not had enough experience there to form a full opinion. I was at a pretty posh event over the course of a fortnight that was essentially full of rich white people. No wonder I only seemed to bump into snobby racist pricks :lol:.

First choice for me over there would be to do something like land in San Francisco and maybe drive down the coast to San Diego.

What would your recommendation be?


Exactly what you suggest. :lol:

We did a road trip down from San Francisco to LA a few years ago and it was genuinely brilliant. I loved California.

Image Image
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Rightey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 am

captain red dog wrote:Not a good move, although I don't think the vast majority of people would fall foul of the law. However the 1st amendment probably doesn't apply to non US citizens so there is scope for arbitrary declining of entry.

Other nations needs to retaliate with these rules. I think my esta cost £20 last time I went to the US, so I'd hope the UK and EU would apply a similar charge to US citizens coming to UK/Europe.

The US and Trump only seem to take notice when money is at stake.


The majority of American's don't travel abroad so it's not like they would really notice.

Even now with how cheap air travel is less than half of the people in the US have passports...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccar ... 53e8013c16

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 am

I would love to visit the US, but the actual process already sounded terrible. This will make it even worse

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Tomous » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 am

OrangeRKN wrote:I would love to visit the US, but the actual process already sounded terrible. This will make it even worse


Assuming you can go through the ESTA Waiver programme it’s really easy. Simple online application and costs $10-$20 from memory.

This change looks like it’s for visa applications only and the ESTA lets you visit for up to 90 days without needing one.

Last edited by Tomous on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 am

Tomous wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:I would love to visit the US, but the actual process already sounded terrible. This will make it even worse


Assuming you can go through the ESTA Waivee programme it’s really easy. Simple online application and costs $10-$20 from memory.

This change looks like it’s for visa applications only and the ESTA lets you visit for up to 90 days without needing one.


Just going through the airport sounds bad enough tbh

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by KK » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:15 am

There was another story in The Times today of a British tourist allegedly being treated badly by customs:

Woman stripped and jailed amid rise in US airport arrests

A young British woman was strip-searched and held in a Texas prison for three days without her migraine medication after she was arrested in a crackdown by immigration officials.

Sophie Frampton, 30, of Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, had gone to visit her American boyfriend in June last year but was detained and deported. Hers was one of 315 immigration arrests reported to British consulates in America in 2018.

She contacted The Times after reading about Isaac Roblett, 24, from Hastings, East Sussex who was deported from Chicago when immigration officials seized his phone and interpreted a text as an indication he intended to stay.

The 30-year-old was on her fourth visit to the country in 11 months to see her partner Zaid Khayat, 25, but admitted there had been a change to her address since she had applied for her Esta.

Ms Frampton claims she was handcuffed and driven to jail, told to strip and kept in a cell without her migraine medicine.

She also claims she was unable to use the toilet in her cell.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/woma ... -lg2t7fq3j

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Lex-Man » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:53 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
Tomous wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:I would love to visit the US, but the actual process already sounded terrible. This will make it even worse


Assuming you can go through the ESTA Waivee programme it’s really easy. Simple online application and costs $10-$20 from memory.

This change looks like it’s for visa applications only and the ESTA lets you visit for up to 90 days without needing one.


Just going through the airport sounds bad enough tbh


It really depends to be honest. I've gotten through very easily and with difficulty. My best was coming into New York and everything being very quick and chilled out. The worst was when they made me fill in my immigration documents again because they weren't neat enough.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Tomous » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
Tomous wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:I would love to visit the US, but the actual process already sounded terrible. This will make it even worse


Assuming you can go through the ESTA Waivee programme it’s really easy. Simple online application and costs $10-$20 from memory.

This change looks like it’s for visa applications only and the ESTA lets you visit for up to 90 days without needing one.


Just going through the airport sounds bad enough tbh


I’ve been four times and never really had any issues at the airport except the time I had a cast on my arm and even then they just took some swabs to scan. Anaecdotal experience of course but I feel the reputation is a little exaggerated.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Tomous » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The only place I've actually been to in the USA is Miami and honestly it smelled of piss everywhere and at one point I saw a homeless woman's hairy vagina while she was bent over literally just in the middle of the street having a gushing piss. There were people out of their minds on who knows what begging for money everywhere.

I got chatting to quite a few Americans during my time over there and it was staggering how all they wanted to talk about was how much money they earn, how much their families earn and how awful it must be for me to have to pay for immigrants to use the NHS.

I still really want to explore over there a lot more, but I'll be aiming for the west coast.


We’ve had wildly different experiences of the States. :lol:

Having said that Miami is absolutely not on my list of places to go anytime soon. It seems to be the American equivalent of Magaluf. Even it’s depiction in films(Bad Boys :dread: ) just makes it look gaudy and vile.

Oh I absolutely have not had enough experience there to form a full opinion. I was at a pretty posh event over the course of a fortnight that was essentially full of rich white people. No wonder I only seemed to bump into snobby racist pricks :lol:.

First choice for me over there would be to do something like land in San Francisco and maybe drive down the coast to San Diego.

What would your recommendation be?


Exactly what you suggest. :lol:

We did a road trip down from San Francisco to LA a few years ago and it was genuinely brilliant. I loved California.



Just to echo Cora, this is truly amazing. We went SF to LA a few years ago and the drive down Big Sur and Highway 1 was one of the best things I’ve ever done. Hire a convertible (we had a Mustang) and go in the afternoon so you’re driving down it for sunset.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Ad7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:30 pm

Convertible mustang o/

We had one for our wedding trip. 2 weeks driving around Arizona, sedona etc. Absolutely strawberry floating incredible, just so.much fun and everywhere was beautiful.

Brag pics:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Chocolate-Milk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Ad7 wrote:Brag pics:

Image

>not getting a red one
Image

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Ad7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:58 pm

We did pick a yellow corvette first but the boot was too.small with the roof down.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Ad7 wrote:Image


Which FFXV mod is this?

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Chocolate-Milk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm

That would have been an acceptable choice, I'll forgive you.

I might have to put Arizona on the to-go list, the scenery looks incredible.

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Ad7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Nah it's a shithole m8

it's well worth it

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Karl_ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Ad :lol:

Mate, come on, it's nothing personal -- people aren't saying the US has bad countryside, or can't be a good holiday destination, or doesn't have plenty of decent people in it.

They're saying it's a shithole because of its terrible politics. It's the same reason someone might not want to visit Russia.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Those travelling to the US will now have to submit social media, email & phone numbers
by Ad7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Yeah but Russia IS A shithole amirite

I know, I misunderstood the first time and now.im.running it in to the ground :datass:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dangerblade, floydfreak, Google [Bot], Met, Monkey Man, Snowcannon and 45 guests