Tokyo 2020 - GB: Rowing 0130 | Rugby 0300 | Cycling 0330 | Swimming 0345 | Synchro Diving 0700 | Equestrian 0930

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by KK » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 am

The atmosphere is going to be electric!

As in: there's nobody there, I can literally hear the electricity pylons.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains of GRcadia

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Preezy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:26 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57924885

The show director of the Olympics opening ceremony has been dismissed, one day before the event is due to be held.

Footage of Kentaro Kobayashi from the 1990s recently emerged in which he seems to be making jokes about the Holocaust.

Japan's Olympic chief Seiko Hashimoto said the video ridiculed "painful facts of history".

The dismissal is the latest in a string of scandals to hit the Games.

It comes days after a composer quit the team creating the ceremony after it emerged he had bullied classmates with disabilities at school.

In March, creative chief Hiroshi Sasaki quit after suggesting that plus-size comedian Naomi Watanabe could appear as an "Olympig". He later apologised.

And in February, Yoshiro Mori was forced to step down as the head of the organising committee after he made remarks about women that were criticised as "inappropriate".

Mr Mori was quoted as saying women talked too much and that meetings with many female board directors would "take a lot of time".

Yikes y'all :dread:

Image Image
Image
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Memento Mori » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:54 am

Always nice to learn who's got you on ignore. :simper:

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:00 am

Preezy wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57924885

The show director of the Olympics opening ceremony has been dismissed, one day before the event is due to be held.

Footage of Kentaro Kobayashi from the 1990s recently emerged in which he seems to be making jokes about the Holocaust.

Japan's Olympic chief Seiko Hashimoto said the video ridiculed "painful facts of history".

The dismissal is the latest in a string of scandals to hit the Games.

It comes days after a composer quit the team creating the ceremony after it emerged he had bullied classmates with disabilities at school.

In March, creative chief Hiroshi Sasaki quit after suggesting that plus-size comedian Naomi Watanabe could appear as an "Olympig". He later apologised.

And in February, Yoshiro Mori was forced to step down as the head of the organising committee after he made remarks about women that were criticised as "inappropriate".

Mr Mori was quoted as saying women talked too much and that meetings with many female board directors would "take a lot of time".

Yikes y'all :dread:

You're meant to meme it up by saying "Third world country" and then waiting for the pro-[third world country] posters to rally to its defence.

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 am

I wish there was something other than football on at the moment. I'm a bit football'd out and dreading the start of the new domestic season, so I'd rather forget it exists for the time being :lol:.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by OrangeRKN » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:03 am

Anyone else seen this yet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57924885

The show director of the Olympics opening ceremony has been dismissed, one day before the event is due to be held.

Footage of Kentaro Kobayashi from the 1990s recently emerged in which he seems to be making jokes about the Holocaust.

Japan's Olympic chief Seiko Hashimoto said the video ridiculed "painful facts of history".

The dismissal is the latest in a string of scandals to hit the Games.

It comes days after a composer quit the team creating the ceremony after it emerged he had bullied classmates with disabilities at school.

In March, creative chief Hiroshi Sasaki quit after suggesting that plus-size comedian Naomi Watanabe could appear as an "Olympig". He later apologised.

And in February, Yoshiro Mori was forced to step down as the head of the organising committee after he made remarks about women that were criticised as "inappropriate".

Mr Mori was quoted as saying women talked too much and that meetings with many female board directors would "take a lot of time"

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Tomous » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:07 am

That is quite a list :lol: :fp:

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Knoyleo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I wish there was something other than football on at the moment. I'm a bit football'd out and dreading the start of the new domestic season, so I'd rather forget it exists for the time being :lol:.

Softball is also on, but I can't seem to find it on iPlayer, which is a shame.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:30 am

Ochoa should’ve saved that penalty and he knows it.

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Knoyleo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:34 am

This France team looks very different than the one that just played the Euros, is this another one of those Olympic sports where they arbitrarily decide it can't be the usual fully professional team that competes?

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Tomous » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 am

Knoyleo wrote:This France team looks very different than the one that just played the Euros, is this another one of those Olympic sports where they arbitrarily decide it can't be the usual fully professional team that competes?



Except for 3 players, the squad have to be all under 23's

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains of GRcadia

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Preezy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:06 am

Memento Mori wrote:Always nice to learn who's got you on ignore. :simper:

Someone say something? :P

Sorry, dude, I didn't see your post on the last page (and not because I have you on ignore!).

Image Image
Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Dowbocop » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am

Knoyleo wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I wish there was something other than football on at the moment. I'm a bit football'd out and dreading the start of the new domestic season, so I'd rather forget it exists for the time being :lol:.

Softball is also on, but I can't seem to find it on iPlayer, which is a shame.

I think it's on Eurosport, which is bollocks because I can't watch Eurosport at work :x

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Knoyleo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 am

Tomous wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:This France team looks very different than the one that just played the Euros, is this another one of those Olympic sports where they arbitrarily decide it can't be the usual fully professional team that competes?



Except for 3 players, the squad have to be all under 23's

Cool, thanks.

Trying to find confirmation somewhere about whether the wresting this year is now also professional? Boxing has gone from amateur only to allowing professionals, and wrestling was the last sport left, apparently, with speculation that this year would see the admission of professional athletes, but struggling to find confirmation anywhere.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:32 am

Knoyleo wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:This France team looks very different than the one that just played the Euros, is this another one of those Olympic sports where they arbitrarily decide it can't be the usual fully professional team that competes?



Except for 3 players, the squad have to be all under 23's

Cool, thanks.

Trying to find confirmation somewhere about whether the wresting this year is now also professional? Boxing has gone from amateur only to allowing professionals, and wrestling was the last sport left, apparently, with speculation that this year would see the admission of professional athletes, but struggling to find confirmation anywhere.


I don't know what they mean by "professional wrestling" athletes as I dunno if there are any professional amateur wrestling organisations and pro wrestling is an entirely different thing, but it gave me a proper belly laugh to imagine Stone Cold vs. The Rock in the Olympic finals there.

Image
User avatar
coldspice
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nottinghamshire

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by coldspice » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:13 pm

everyone thinking CM Punk's going to AEW when he's actually going to make his debut at the Olympics

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Imagine this - it's the presentation ceremony and the medals are being given by Olympic Gold Medallist and wrestling legend Kurt Angle. He goes to put the gold medal over the winner's head to the sound of cheers from the non-existent crowd. But wait! What's he doing! He's hit the champion in the face with the medal, knocked him out and called for the announcer to ring the damn bell! He's pinned the Olympic Champion 1-2-3 in the middle of the podium and crowned himself a two-time gold medallist!

Your 2021 Olympic Champion, Kurt Angle!

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Drumstick » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:29 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:Imagine this - it's the presentation ceremony and the medals are being given by Olympic Gold Medallist and wrestling legend Kurt Angle. He goes to put the gold medal over the winner's head to the sound of cheers from the non-existent crowd. But wait! What's he doing! He's hit the champion in the face with the medal, knocked him out and called for the announcer to ring the damn bell! He's pinned the Olympic Champion 1-2-3 in the middle of the podium and crowned himself a two-time gold medallist!

Your 2021 Olympic Champion, Kurt Angle!

Image

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
coldspice
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nottinghamshire

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by coldspice » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:21 pm

if olympic wrestling had table spots I might actually watch

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains of GRcadia

PostRe: Tokyo Olympics - Faster, Higher, Stronger (no not you Covid :dread:)
by Preezy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:26 pm

That Brazil vs Germany game was a great watch, even with the lack of stadium atmosphere.

Image Image
Image

Return to “Stuff”