Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Peter Crisp » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Balladeer wrote:
Trelliz wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:Considering some of the really great remasters of the last few years where fans respond with appreciation it's sad to see a company the size of Ubisoft just seemingly phone it in on a game like PoP that I thought could have looked and played amazing. What a shame.


They've got to do a lot of covering up the actions of their rapey and abusive executives, which takes a lot of creativity and fiction-building effort away from their products.

Not to mention losing rapey and abusive creative leads.


I know this may be a crazy idea but have they considered not hiring rapey and abusive people?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Balladeer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I know this may be a crazy idea but have they considered not hiring rapey and abusive people?

Not sure that’s in their DNA TBH. When you look at how pally some of them were with Yves, and how widespread the problem seems to have been for him ‘not to have know about it’ *cough cough*, it seems pretty likely that in order to get rid of the rapey and abusive bit they’d need to burn it to the ground and rebuild.

Is this the bit where I need to say ‘allegedly’?

EDIT: Also the rapey and abusive bit is by far the most important point but let’s not overlook the ‘we didn’t realise we were using BLM iconography to describe a terrorist movement’ thing.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Robbo-92 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:01 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Scott Pilgrim vs The World remaster (Edgar Wright has been teasing a Scott Pilgrim announcement today)


This would be great


Having missed out on it before I’d be buying as soon as I could if it came out, from what I recall it was meant to be pretty good.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by OrangeRKN » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm

It is really good, in general as a game and because of the soundtrack and animation.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by ITSMILNER » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 pm


Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Tafdolphin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:21 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:



"A recent mobile game had inappropriate imagery...we will not let anyone co-op our games for hatred"

*doesn't mention the creative lead of said game, whose premise was and remains hiring criminals to assassinate pro-freedom protesters, is his son who was hired straight out of university as a studio director*

Utter strawberry floating bullshit, designed to bury the lede. Guillemot needs to go for there to be any shred of respectibility brought back to Ubisoft.

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Godzilla » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:23 pm

They moved around abusers. Ignored complaints and were generally evil. Then a few words from the man who sat by and did nothing until called out on it. It's meaningless.

Scummy company that needs to climb one of its many radio towers and strawberry float off into the clouds.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Balladeer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:25 pm

Genuinely surprised at the relative optimism of the below TBH:



I guess the assumption was that nothing would happen at all.

Also I presume the name of the mobile game wasn’t mentioned? I don’t... really want to watch the video. :dread:

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by OrangeRKN » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 pm

If Ubisoft want a PR win they should get Vivendi to try another hostile takeover

said game, whose premise was and remains hiring criminals to assassinate pro-freedom protesters


Sure sounds like a Tom Clancy game

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Yubel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:15 pm

Balladeer wrote:Genuinely surprised at the relative optimism of the below TBH:



I guess the assumption was that nothing would happen at all.

Also I presume the name of the mobile game wasn’t mentioned? I don’t... really want to watch the video. :dread:


Retire the pitchfork, lay down your arsenal and watch it.

The hate is deserved of course, but it still irks me when everyone piles in like this. Awful though (a portion of) Ubisoft's company culture has been exposed to be, the backlash in situations like these have this ironic ability to frustrate almost as much as the problem itself.

Image
Image
Youtube - Yubellion

SW-8425-4441-8614
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Knoyleo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Yubel wrote:
Balladeer wrote:Genuinely surprised at the relative optimism of the below TBH:



I guess the assumption was that nothing would happen at all.

Also I presume the name of the mobile game wasn’t mentioned? I don’t... really want to watch the video. :dread:


Retire the pitchfork, lay down your arsenal and watch it.

The hate is deserved of course, but it still irks me when everyone piles in like this. Awful though (a portion of) Ubisoft's company culture has been exposed to be, the backlash in situations like these have this ironic ability to frustrate almost as much as the problem itself.

This is some incredible false equivalency.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Cuttooth » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:27 pm

When that "portion" of a company's culture includes HR covering up allegations of misconduct I'm not sure there's that much ground to 'both sides' the argument.

How much of a pile on or backlash is appropriate in this situation?

User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by BID0 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:33 pm

A cynical person would wonder why they didn’t make enough time in their planned conference to talk about these important subjects there, rather than release a short video on social media before it gets buried by game news

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Cuttooth » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:37 pm

BID0 wrote:A cynical person would wonder why they didn’t make enough time in their planned conference to talk about these important subjects there, rather than release a short video on social media before it gets buried by game news




No, no it's time constraints, please understand.

User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by BID0 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Ah time constraints. My bad. :lol:

User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Yubel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Guess I'm just a fool who wants to believe that the devil doesn't walk among us. Maybe my brain is just wired wrong, but I find myself unable to commit to either side of the conflict in this instance.

Image
Image
Youtube - Yubellion

SW-8425-4441-8614
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Knoyleo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Yubel wrote:Guess I'm just a fool who wants to believe that the devil doesn't walk among us. Maybe my brain is just wired wrong, but I find myself unable to commit to either side of the conflict in this instance.

One side of the conflict is actual ("alleged") rapists being shielded by a corporate structure from accountability, and the other side is people who think that is indefensible. How is it even remotely difficult to pick a side?

User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Yubel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Knoyleo wrote:
Yubel wrote:Guess I'm just a fool who wants to believe that the devil doesn't walk among us. Maybe my brain is just wired wrong, but I find myself unable to commit to either side of the conflict in this instance.

One side of the conflict is actual ("alleged") rapists being shielded by a corporate structure from accountability, and the other side is people who think that is indefensible. How is it even remotely difficult to pick a side?


Maybe by admitting that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the objectively right side (which it is btw, I'm not disputing that) says something about the way it's conducted?

Image
Image
Youtube - Yubellion

SW-8425-4441-8614
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Cuttooth » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 pm

What level and type of conduct would you be comfortable with?

User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Ubisoft Forward | TONIGHT at 8pm
by Yubel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:13 pm

Honestly, I don't have the answer. I just don't want to pick a weapon from the armoury regardless of right or wrong and as I hope you can probably tell, it's a real struggle for me to convey this in a way that's not ignorant toward the facts.

Image
Image
Youtube - Yubellion

SW-8425-4441-8614

Return to “Games”