US Politics 3

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Tomous » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:10 am

Trump just released a please dont impeach me video

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Lex-Man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am

Bit late for that isn't it.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Tomous » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 am

Well, it'll get whipped out in the senate hearing and uses as an example that he didn't mean it. So not too late for that purpose.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics 3
by That's not a growth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:34 am

Has anyone got a link to a simple description about what being impeached actually means - does it change anything? He's been impeached before, yet just seemed to carry on as normal.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Moggy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:36 am

twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1349546620069834753



Heroes :wub:

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Moggy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:39 am

That's not a growth wrote:Has anyone got a link to a simple description about what being impeached actually means - does it change anything? He's been impeached before, yet just seemed to carry on as normal.


By itself it's pretty meaningless.

All impeachment means is that the House of Representatives have decided a President is guilty of the accusations. But the House doesn't have the power to really do anything. After impeachment, a trial is arranged in the Senate, it's the Senate that then votes on whether to remove a President.

One thing it does change is the history books. Only 2 other Presidents (Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton) have been impeached, Trump will now have 2 impeachment's on his record.

Edit:

Interestingly Trump's second impeachment is also the most bipartisan in history, 10 Republicans voted to impeach, so he's broken records there as well. :lol:

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics 3
by That's not a growth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:50 am

Ah, so it's just part of a larger mechanism. Makes a bit more sense.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Moggy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 am

That's not a growth wrote:Ah, so it's just part of a larger mechanism. Makes a bit more sense.


Yeah it's a mix of "we think you've gone too far!" and "please can the Senate deal with this chucklefuck!".

To convict him, it'll need 2/3rds of the Senate. It's looking like the Senate trial might not happen for a while, so there'll be 50 Democrat Senators and 50 Republican Senators. It'll need 16 Republicans to grow a backbone (and no Democrats to chicken out).

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 am

The “only two other presidents have been impeached” thing is technically correct but slightly misleading - two more have had articles of impeachment drafted against them which failed either due to horrendous corruption or because they shat it and resigned anyway.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Moggy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:The “only two other presidents have been impeached” thing is technically correct but slightly misleading - two more have had articles of impeachment drafted against them which failed either due to horrendous corruption or because they shat it and resigned anyway.


It's not really misleading, the other two weren't impeached.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Squinty » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 am

Trump in that video :lol:

Absolutely laughable attempt at healing the divide.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:28 am

Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:The “only two other presidents have been impeached” thing is technically correct but slightly misleading - two more have had articles of impeachment drafted against them which failed either due to horrendous corruption or because they shat it and resigned anyway.


It's not really misleading, the other two weren't impeached.


Like I said, technically correct but isn’t telling the full story about presidential impeachments and investigations. There was a three month investigation into the impeachment of James Buchanan which found his was the most corrupt government in US History at the time, for example, so a lot of US historians are referring back to it right now instead of, say, Bill Clinton despite it not technically being an impeachment.

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:34 am

Tomous wrote:Trump just released a please dont impeach me video


Just watched this, it’s absolutely pathetic. I can’t wait for the hot takes about him “finally appearing presidential” from some sections of the media. :fp:

Image
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Memento Mori » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 am

Moggy wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:Has anyone got a link to a simple description about what being impeached actually means - does it change anything? He's been impeached before, yet just seemed to carry on as normal.


By itself it's pretty meaningless.

All impeachment means is that the House of Representatives have decided a President is guilty of the accusations. But the House doesn't have the power to really do anything. After impeachment, a trial is arranged in the Senate, it's the Senate that then votes on whether to remove a President.

One thing it does change is the history books. Only 2 other Presidents (Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton) have been impeached, Trump will now have 2 impeachment's on his record.

Edit:

Interestingly Trump's second impeachment is also the most bipartisan in history, 10 Republicans voted to impeach, so he's broken records there as well. :lol:

An impeachment is basically being indicted.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:20 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Tomous wrote:Trump just released a please dont impeach me video


Just watched this, it’s absolutely pathetic. I can’t wait for the hot takes about him “finally appearing presidential” from some sections of the media. :fp:

I think we're passed that now thankfully.

(Waits for someone to link to prove me wrong)

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Photek » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Tomous wrote:Trump just released a please dont impeach me video


Just watched this, it’s absolutely pathetic. I can’t wait for the hot takes about him “finally appearing presidential” from some sections of the media. :fp:

I think we're passed that now thankfully.

(Waits for someone to link to prove me wrong)


CNN are not falling for it anyway, at all.

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:36 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Tomous wrote:Trump just released a please dont impeach me video


Just watched this, it’s absolutely pathetic. I can’t wait for the hot takes about him “finally appearing presidential” from some sections of the media. :fp:

I think we're passed that now thankfully.

(Waits for someone to link to prove me wrong)


To be fair even Fox haven't gone that far in their reporting so far. OAN have, of course, but they're a propaganda network, not a news brand.

Photek, to give CNN their due they've been consistently critical of Trump for a long time. Their White House correspondent, Jim Acosta, will come out of this presidency looking particularly good. The Huffington Post's reporting of the last week or two has been nothing short of hilarious as well.

Image
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Memento Mori » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 am

Jim Acosta just got a big promotion to chief domestic affairs correspondent and weekend anchor.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:52 am

Memento Mori wrote:Jim Acosta just got a big promotion to chief domestic affairs correspondent and weekend anchor.


Yep. I have a feeling that's just the start for him as well.

Jake Tapper, John Roberts and Kaitlan Collins are also doing pretty well out of the reshuffle I think - Collins is gonna be one of the youngest chief correspondents for a major network now at the White House. Collins was barred from the White House in 2018 after a spat with Trump in the Rose Garden, so it seems like she's also getting her reward for standing up.

I'm following these four pretty closely - press relations between CNN and the Trump administration are a point of professional interest to me and I'd like to look at some kind of work related to it once the dust has settled a little bit.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Moggy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 am

twitter.com/DC_Draino/status/1349011313268305921



:lol:

Image

Return to “Stuff”