Wargroove. Double Trouble DLC (free) out now

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostWargroove. Double Trouble DLC (free) out now
by rinks » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Needs its own thread, as it’s multi-format and cross-play!

I’m planning to get it on XB1, but I’ll be glad to have the chance to play MP against those who Switch it up.

Anyone started yet?

Last edited by rinks on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hound
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today. Cross-play etc
by Hound » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Played the first few missions on Switch. I like it. I can see it could get quite difficult.

Love the look and feel of the game. It’s quite hard to see which units you are strong/weak against on the small screen with unfamiliar icons. Have to admit the music and voice acting is getting on my nerves a little too.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today. Cross-play etc
by Ironhide » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:02 pm

Getting the PC version but that's being released next week apparently.

Can't wait for play it, it looks great.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1). Cross-play etc
by rinks » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Sorry about that. Thought they were all out today.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1). Cross-play etc
by Ironhide » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm

I was wrong, it's out today on PC too.

Installing it now.

Edit: Arse! the game uses both mouse buttons and I can't physically right click any more. Can't see any way of just using (onscreen) keyboard controls either.

I have a potential solution though so not overly worried.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by Ironhide » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 pm

Found a way round the problem by using some 'dwell clicker' software.

It basically right (or left) clicks when I hover the cursor for a couple of seconds - its not perfect and some games (Diablo III) won't even start up with it running.

I was using something called GlovePie to right click when I said "click" but a recent windows update has utterly borked it, cheers Microsoft.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by rinks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 pm

Just a few missions in, and it’s great so far. Familiar enough to jump right in, but different enough not to feel like a straight copy of AW. I’m getting a few sound glitches. Don’t know if that’s widespread. And multiplayer is empty, but you can set up games using codes so when we’re ready, maybe use this thread to set up matches. Hopefully that’s also possible via cross-play.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by rinks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Ironhide wrote:Found a way round the problem by using some 'dwell clicker' software.

It basically right (or left) clicks when I hover the cursor for a couple of seconds - its not perfect and some games (Diablo III) won't even start up with it running.

I was using something called GlovePie to right click when I said "click" but a recent windows update has utterly borked it, cheers Microsoft.

What a pain. They don’t make things easy, do they? Hope you’re getting on ok with it.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by Ironhide » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Minor control issues aside, I'm really liking what I've seen so far.

It's both similar and different enough to an Advance Wars game that it feels both familiar and fresh at the same time - I urge everyone who loves Advance Wars to buy it, it's brilliant.

Don't like the inability to save mid mission though, its a major oversight by the devs.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by rinks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Yeah, I’ve just had to leave mid-mission. I know it’s less important with recent consoles’ suspend state, but it’s still risky. Saving should definitely be included.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by Ironhide » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Also significantly absent is the ability to merge injured units (of the same type).

Another feature I would quite like is tooltips for the unit info screen, Its not easy to distinguish between the unit icons, especially when each factions units look vastly different to each other.

That's really my only gripe with the game, the UI and presentation aren't quite up to the high standards set by the AW games.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Wargroove. Out today (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by rinks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:59 pm

I went back to my suspended game and... it went to the title screen. Figured I’d lost progress, but it recognised that I’d been mid-mission and offered to resume, so thankfully they do seem to have built in an autosave.

Yeah, no merging of units is a shame, but at least you can heal when next to friendly buildings.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by Cheeky Devlin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 pm

One of the developers was on GameFAQs Message Boards and was saying that the game broke even in 3 days. Oh and some upcoming patches.

So, Wargroove broke even over the weekend, we've covered the cost of development and the game is now profitable! we want to thank everyone for their support!

We made a quick blog post last night just running through what our plans are in the short term.

We have a patch going through submission right now that will fix a few bugs we weren't able to nail down in time, but the patch after that will include a number of quality of life fixes, such as:
The ability to skip battle scenes more quickly. With various options on how this will work.
The ability to force fast map movement to ‘always on’.
Tooltips and more info for the effective/vulnerable charts.
In multiplayer, the host will be able to fill open spots with CPU players.
Display S rank requirements. (Tip for now, it’s always based on number of turns.)
Make it more difficult to accidentally end a turn.
Multiplayer Lobby improvements
Various bug fixes
There's some additional info about our plans beyond that, so please check out the blog for more details!

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by rinks » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:22 pm

That’s all good news, especially about breaking even. Hopefully there will be additional content (I’d happily pay) or a full sequel.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by Ironhide » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Glad to see that the game has sold so well and those QoL features are just what I wanted to see.

Image
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by DarkRula » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:10 am

I've been map-making more than playing the missions, I think. First thing I did was jump into the editor. In terms of the missions, I've just got onto the second act, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

Hopefully making it more difficult to end a turn means placing the option at the bottom of the list [like Advance Wars] as I keep heading for the bottom to end only to realise the option is up top.

Image
Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:17 am

DarkRula wrote:I've been map-making more than playing the missions, I think. First thing I did was jump into the editor. In terms of the missions, I've just got onto the second act, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

Hopefully making it more difficult to end a turn means placing the option at the bottom of the list [like Advance Wars] as I keep heading for the bottom to end only to realise the option is up top.


Are you me? :lol:

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by rinks » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am

As far as I remember, the game doesn’t tell you this, but i guess it’s pretty much second nature to AW veterans. In case anyone didn’t realise: the shoulder buttons automatically select the next unit.

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by DarkRula » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:54 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
DarkRula wrote:I've been map-making more than playing the missions, I think. First thing I did was jump into the editor. In terms of the missions, I've just got onto the second act, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

Hopefully making it more difficult to end a turn means placing the option at the bottom of the list [like Advance Wars] as I keep heading for the bottom to end only to realise the option is up top.


Are you me? :lol:


Certainly seems that way. Are you also not progressing until you get an S-Rank on a mission?

Image
Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Wargroove. Out now (Switch, XB1, PC). Cross-play etc
by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 am

DarkRula wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
DarkRula wrote:I've been map-making more than playing the missions, I think. First thing I did was jump into the editor. In terms of the missions, I've just got onto the second act, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

Hopefully making it more difficult to end a turn means placing the option at the bottom of the list [like Advance Wars] as I keep heading for the bottom to end only to realise the option is up top.


Are you me? :lol:


Certainly seems that way. Are you also not progressing until you get an S-Rank on a mission?

I'm not that good. :cry: Just been dipping in and out of it over the weekend so that's why I'm slow.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Finish.Last, Frank, Lagamorph, PuppetBoy, Samuel_1, Skarjo, Somebody Else's Problem, Tafdolphin and 206 guests