Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by DarkRula » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:59 am

It's a good recreation of Chinatown, even if the gate is meant to be on Wardour Street. I get it, though. Couldn't have the north of the road pedestrianised, especially when there's nowhere for traffic to turn off (although that's true of the real Wardour Street as well). It's the same reason why the Mall and Constitution Hill have traffic running on them. The need to always have vehicles nearby.

Image
Image
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:53 pm

The City of London and exploring it is certainly the best thing about the game. I had my first crash today, the game just paused and set me back to the PS4 Home screen, also notice the recruiting missions are repeating a fair bit, I've been to a Kelly's hideout about 3 or 4 times already.

Image
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by DarkRula » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:12 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:also notice the recruiting missions are repeating a fair bit, I've been to a Kelly's hideout about 3 or 4 times already.


Was it the exact same mission objective each time, though? Nearly every recruitment mission takes place within a restricted area with one of a few things to be done in each - whether stealing a car, downloading or hacking information, or rescuing someone. If it really was the same mission and same location each time, that's some real bad luck.

Image
Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Vermilion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:22 pm

DarkRula wrote:It's a good recreation of Chinatown, even if the gate is meant to be on Wardour Street. I get it, though. Couldn't have the north of the road pedestrianised, especially when there's nowhere for traffic to turn off (although that's true of the real Wardour Street as well). It's the same reason why the Mall and Constitution Hill have traffic running on them. The need to always have vehicles nearby.


Yeah, that's why some of the other pedestrianised areas are open to traffic too.

It's not the case everywhere though, as Covent Garden and Leicester Square are generally vehicle free.

One minor thing i did notice too was the return of railings by the roads at Piccadilly Circus, even though the ones in real life were removed a few years back.

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by DarkRula » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Vermilion wrote:
DarkRula wrote:It's a good recreation of Chinatown, even if the gate is meant to be on Wardour Street. I get it, though. Couldn't have the north of the road pedestrianised, especially when there's nowhere for traffic to turn off (although that's true of the real Wardour Street as well). It's the same reason why the Mall and Constitution Hill have traffic running on them. The need to always have vehicles nearby.


Yeah, that's why some of the other pedestrianised areas are open to traffic too.

It's not the case everywhere though, as Covent Garden and Leicester Square are generally vehicle free.

One minor thing i did notice too was the return of railings by the roads at Piccadilly Circus, even though the ones in real life were removed a few years back.


Leicester Square was always safe, but they could easily have turned it into a one-way system if they wanted to butcher it. Covent Garden... Pretty sure they butchered that anyway. Or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong area. [EDIT: I was thinking the wrong area.] I'm only familiar with things west of Charring Cross Road - even after the last month or so of matching the areas between maps.

That railing at Piccadilly Circus caught me out. Turned the corner from Shaftesbury Avenue into Coventry Street expecting to immediately cross the road. Instead bump straight into that rail.
__________

I've pencilled in another stream of this for the Xbox Series launch. No idea if that'll be on the Tuesday or the Wednesday, but I will certainly give it a play. This and DiRT 5 are showcase games for this next generation of consoles, and I want to show them off while chatting with whoever turns up.

Image
Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Vermilion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Found out today that if you visit the walkie talkie building (across the river from the shard), you can enter the lift on the ground floor and travel up to visit the sky garden.

It looks exactly as i remember from when i was there in real life too.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Tafdolphin » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Apparently the entire Legion source code has been leaked by hackers.

irony.gif

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Tomous » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:57 pm

The hacker was a granny too apparantly

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Vermilion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Tomous wrote:The hacker was a granny too apparantly


...and she did it using a spiderbot.

User avatar
Boo!
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ireland

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Boo! » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:16 pm

I'm struggling to get through this it's so dull :|

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by OrangeRKN » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:20 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Apparently the entire Legion source code has been leaked by hackers.

irony.gif


The article I just read called it a ransomware attack. That's be a great ransomware attack.

"We've encrypted your data! You'll have to pay us to get it back!"
"We won't pay"
"Okay we're releasing the data (publicly)!"

I'm guessing that isn't what happened, but it's the way the article reads :lol:

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Tafdolphin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:23 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Apparently the entire Legion source code has been leaked by hackers.

irony.gif


The article I just read called it a ransomware attack. That's be a great ransomware attack.

"We've encrypted your data! You'll have to pay us to get it back!"
"We won't pay"
"Okay we're releasing the data (publicly)!"

I'm guessing that isn't what happened, but it's the way the article reads :lol:


Nah, they threatened to make it public unless Ubi paid. They didn't, so the hacker group made it public as promised.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Peter Crisp » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Apparently the entire Legion source code has been leaked by hackers.

irony.gif


The article I just read called it a ransomware attack. That's be a great ransomware attack.

"We've encrypted your data! You'll have to pay us to get it back!"
"We won't pay"
"Okay we're releasing the data (publicly)!"

I'm guessing that isn't what happened, but it's the way the article reads :lol:


To be fair they did get the data back without paying.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Knoyleo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 am

Mark Brown of GMTK posted some thoughts about the "play as anyone" system (free) on his Patreon, that make for a good read, and also confirm all my worst fears about how it works out in game.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/43486205

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by OrangeRKN » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:03 pm

In summary it sounds like "a cool system without enough reason to engage with it". Which is disappointing in that respect, but a lot better than my worst fears which would have been it lacking all those things it does have going for it.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by DarkRula » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:27 pm

That's a good look at things, certainly. I touched more upon the positives and negatives of the system in my first impressions article, which I think I might have mentioned here. The fact that while this is a technical achievement, it all feels passive and pretty lifeless - especially when friends and family will not recognise each other on the street, and especially when there's no unique dialogue between them for recruitment missions. It's a fun system that will entertain as long as you engage with it, but it feels so detached from the rest of the game. That guy managed to convey what I wanted a lot better (or at least more direct).

He also brings up a good point. Why couldn't we bring multiple operatives into a mission to be able to do certain tasks? Some of these people have personal vehicles. They could easily be getaway drivers. Some people have faster download speeds. They could easily be able to download from longer distances. And it works with negative attributes and those things that aren't in the game, too. Everyone's pretty much the same. Surely some people would be pacifists who wouldn't even use a stun gun. Surely some people wouldn't know how to drive a vehicle. Taking it even further, surely some would even be scared of the idea of entering a restricted area.

There's a lot that could be done to improve upon the system, but I feel the only part that will ever be improved is the profiling system to auto generate the lives of citizens and their feelings toward whatever faction in whichever game you might be a part of. Although is that really necessary without the recruitment part attached to it?

Image
Image
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by imbusydoctorwho » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:37 pm

DarkRula wrote:
imbusydoctorwho wrote:also notice the recruiting missions are repeating a fair bit, I've been to a Kelly's hideout about 3 or 4 times already.


Was it the exact same mission objective each time, though? Nearly every recruitment mission takes place within a restricted area with one of a few things to be done in each - whether stealing a car, downloading or hacking information, or rescuing someone. If it really was the same mission and same location each time, that's some real bad luck.


It was stealing a van, I had it about 3 times, think each time the contents of the van was different but the task and the drop off point was the same.

Image
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by DarkRula » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:07 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:
DarkRula wrote:
imbusydoctorwho wrote:also notice the recruiting missions are repeating a fair bit, I've been to a Kelly's hideout about 3 or 4 times already.


Was it the exact same mission objective each time, though? Nearly every recruitment mission takes place within a restricted area with one of a few things to be done in each - whether stealing a car, downloading or hacking information, or rescuing someone. If it really was the same mission and same location each time, that's some real bad luck.


It was stealing a van, I had it about 3 times, think each time the contents of the van was different but the task and the drop off point was the same.


I guess it's not too unexpected for the same thing to show up close to each other, and there are fewer places for a van to be stolen from than other tasks. I think the most common one I've had is rescuing people.

Image
Image
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by gaminglegend » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 pm

I'm tempted by this but really wasn't a big fan of Watch Dogs, think London is the draw for me :shifty:

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Watch Dogs Legion - Post-Brexit London setting
by Vermilion » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Did this mission today, love the spiderbot! :wub:



Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OldSoulCyborg and 186 guests