What does she say about the Store?

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Karl_ » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm interested in games (pretty fun!), to some extent the industry (bleh, mostly bad!), definitely the design and craftsmanship (it's a cool new-ish form of art!), and I like to read about how games impact culture (it's one facet of how media in general impacts culture, which is important!).

I think the risk in being "too into" games is that of consumer-as-identity. It's unhealthy to base your self-perception around a product you like to buy or watch.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Pedz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Nah, plenty don't care about that stuff, though it seems to be less common with the youngsters who lap it up. Though most seem to love racist twats like this girl and Pewdiepie etc.

ImageImage
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Balladeer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I'm sure I'm not alone in loving gaming as a hobby but just not being interested in anything more expanded than this place and gaming magazines.

One additional forum, but otherwise yes. Not been interested in gaming Twitter or YouTube. ‘Gamer’ isn’t a dirty word but seems to have a significant subculture that wants to make it so. I’d rather just be a person who likes games, and as a consequence talks about them with a small amount of good fellows/ladies.

GNamer admin.: visit your friendly neighbourhood affiliate!

Every console has one slow year in its first two. The Switch is now in year 3. Deep breath...
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Peter Crisp » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy a good E3 with Chalky and the gang and I like Digital Foundry but the nearest I get to gaming culture is multiple topics on here about next gen consoles. I don't have a negative opinion (I don't have any opinion about it if I'm honest as I take so little notice of it) of gaming culture it's just not my cup of tea.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Preezy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I'm 42 and been a gamer since I was about 7 but I've never been interested at all in gamer culture. I don't give a gooseberry fool about E-Sports or streamers and I don't do social media. I'm sure I'm not alone in loving gaming as a hobby but just not being interested in anything more expanded than this place and gaming magazines.

Crisp knows.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Tafdolphin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 pm

I'm interested in the industry of gaming for sure: the companies that make the games, the craft behind them, to some extent the marketing and promotion too.

I'm indifferent to eSports and tournament gaming but some of it can be interesting (Evo especially).

What I detest is capital G Gamers and their culture. The John Bains and the PewDiePies and the DrDisrespects. Those that grew up thinking of gaming as synonymous with the rejected white man, the introvert who secretly hates the girls for dating the sporty guys. The guys who think a game about the horrors of war isn't political but one with a non-white protagonist is. strawberry float all of that gooseberry fool.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Pedz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I'm interested in the industry of gaming for sure: the companies that make the games, the craft behind them, to some extent the marketing and promotion too.

I'm indifferent to eSports and tournament gaming but some of it can be interesting (Evo especially).

What I detest is capital G Gamers and their culture. The John Bains and the PewDiePies and the DrDisrespects. Those that grew up thinking of gaming as synonymous with the rejected white man, the introvert who secretly hates the girls for dating the sporty guys. The guys who think a game about the horrors of war isn't political but one with a non-white protagonist is. strawberry float all of that gooseberry fool.



I don't know who John Brains is, I know PewDiePie is a dick, but I thought DrDisrepect was just a guy pretending to be grumpy? I know he filmed in a public toilet which is weird and in the state illegal, but I thought he didn't know and was apologetic? I've never watched the guy and have no interest, just wondering why he's lumped in with the racist guy, or is he as the same?

ImageImage
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Tafdolphin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 am

John Bain Is better known as TotalBiscuit, who supported GamerGate and harassed several female game journalists. DrDisrespect has a long history of controversy, including on-stream racism and sexism. He's also reportedly used his fame to sleep with multiple female fans while married. Last one's not a crime, but gives a bit of context to the level this guy is operating on.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Pedz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 am

Never realised that, I don't watch or follow the guy at all, tbh.

ImageImage
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Winckle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Karl_ wrote:It's unhealthy to base your self-perception around a product you like to buy or watch.

This is an important point. Because many people don't have the time or energy for creative pursuits under capitalism, they make their consumption of culture central to their identity. Or as Trelliz would say:

Trelliz wrote:Debord was right.

User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Venom » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Balladeer wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:I'm sure I'm not alone in loving gaming as a hobby but just not being interested in anything more expanded than this place and gaming magazines.

One additional forum, but otherwise yes. Not been interested in gaming Twitter or YouTube. ‘Gamer’ isn’t a dirty word but seems to have a significant subculture that wants to make it so. I’d rather just be a person who likes games, and as a consequence talks about them with a small amount of good fellows/ladies.



Winckle wrote:
Karl_ wrote:It's unhealthy to base your self-perception around a product you like to buy or watch.


This is an important point. Because many people don't have the time or energy for creative pursuits under capitalism, they make their consumption of culture central to their identity.



But what does this mean in practical terms? Calling yourself a Star Trek fan or a gamer suggest you are a signed-up card carrying member of a group with a shared world view and values/perceived values. Alternatively saying you are just a person who enjoys watching Star Trek or playing computer games. I can see there is a distinction, and certainly there are some people who seem to be consumed by their... consumerism, but isn't the differentiation that just semantics?

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Peter Crisp » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:43 pm

I didn't realise that calling myself a Star Trek fan said anything more about me than that I like Star Trek and Sci-Fi in general.
I don't think I've ever spoken to someone about Star Trek and expected anything more of them as it's such an well known show. I've never given it much thought other than maybe a TNG fan may have an opinion on the lack of money in the series and whether or not it makes it some kind of communist utopia and being on either side of that debate is valid and fine.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Balladeer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:55 pm

It’s purely semantics, but also how those semantics are understood and the associations that go along with them.

GNamer admin.: visit your friendly neighbourhood affiliate!

Every console has one slow year in its first two. The Switch is now in year 3. Deep breath...
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by OrangeRKN » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Some people prefer to create, some prefer to consume what others have created, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Under the raft

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Jenuall » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:00 pm

People without real exposure to a hobby/movement/perspective will only ever have limited touchstones for understanding what that thing really is and the vast array of levels of involvement, behaviours and culture that go along with it etc.

For many people games are just what they hear about in the news - violent stuff that kids play and causes shootings. Or some people may have been aware of the arcades 30+ years ago and to them gaming is still that - nerds without anything better to do throwing money at flashing lights.

Being a "gamer" or a "fan of games" can mean millions of different things, but those differences will be lost on the majority of the general public.

ImageImage
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Trelliz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Winckle wrote:
Karl_ wrote:It's unhealthy to base your self-perception around a product you like to buy or watch.

This is an important point. Because many people don't have the time or energy for creative pursuits under capitalism, they make their consumption of culture central to their identity. Or as Trelliz would say:

Trelliz wrote:Debord was right.


The more he identifies with the dominant images of need, the less he understands his own life and his own desires. The spectacle’s estrangement from the acting subject is expressed by the fact that the individual’s gestures are no longer his own; they are the gestures of someone else who represents them to him.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by The Watching Artist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Karl_ wrote:It's unhealthy to base your self-perception around a product you like to buy or watch.

u wot m8!
Image

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Hexx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:
Karl_ wrote:It's unhealthy to base your self-perception around a product you like to buy or watch.

u wot m8!
Image


Did...Did you hire a professional photographer...

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by The Watching Artist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Hexx wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
Karl_ wrote:It's unhealthy to base your self-perception around a product you like to buy or watch.

u wot m8!
Image


Did...Did you hire a professional photographer...

No one else would step into my bedroom. :(

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: What does she say about the Store?
by Ironhide » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Preezy wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:I'm 42 and been a gamer since I was about 7 but I've never been interested at all in gamer culture. I don't give a gooseberry fool about E-Sports or streamers and I don't do social media. I'm sure I'm not alone in loving gaming as a hobby but just not being interested in anything more expanded than this place and gaming magazines.

Crisp knows.


Sure does.

I imagine most of us on here over 30 have similar views on this.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to read the paper and have my afternoon nap.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Benzin, Bing [Bot], Kriken, PaperMacheMario, Peter Crisp, Poser, Red 5 stella, Robbo-92, Snowcannon and 35 guests