Who is the worst person in history? Also chicken!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Cuttooth » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Tim Berners-Lee - the Internet will bring about the end of civilisation as we know it and contribute to billions dying.

I'd argue Mark Zuckerberg is the main problematic human with this though.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Imagine if it turns out that Zuckerberg and social media are our civilization's Great Filter.

User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Karl_ » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:44 pm

I can see the argument for the Zuck being one of the worst people in history - he is obviously a monster who really pioneered using the Internet in an evil way. I don't think the Internet as a piece of infrastructure is inherently evil personally.

One struggles to imagine a truly utopian society that has Facebook, but one can imagine a utopia that has an Internet.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Moggy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Tim Berners-Lee - the Internet will bring about the end of civilisation as we know it and contribute to billions dying.

I'd argue Mark Zuckerberg is the main problematic human with this though.


Yeah the real answer is Zuckerberg.

The latest Behind the Bastards is a two parter on Zuckerberg. He's a strawberry floating monster and is my pick for the most dangerous man in the world.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Peter Crisp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:48 pm

The Internet being the worst invention ever is actually quite a good shout.
For all the good it's done to bring people together it's also seen the partisanship become much worse and allowed people to be horrible with anonymity.

I feel it could have people arguing for it being the best and worst invention ever which is anachievement in itself.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Moggy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:54 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:The Internet being the worst invention ever is actually quite a good shout.
For all the good it's done to bring people together it's also seen the partisanship become much worse and allowed people to be horrible with anonymity.

I feel it could have people arguing for it being the best and worst invention ever which is anachievement in itself.


It's not. The internet is wonderful and has the potential for so much good.

The trouble is evil pricks like Zuckerberg and the governments that pander to them.

Blaming the internet is like blaming roads because soldiers use them.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Tomous » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 pm

The Internet needs serious regulation and intervention from the Government.

Social media companies in many ways are self governing. So they do what the strawberry float they want.

Image
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Captain Kinopio » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Several years ago someone on here made a comment in some thread or other that in the future people would look back on this time when Internet police didn't exist as quaint.

I often think about that comment.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Rex Kramer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 pm

Karl_ wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Tim Berners-Lee - the Internet will bring about the end of civilisation as we know it and contribute to billions dying.

This is an interesting take. I doubt I will agree, but I'm interested to hear why you think this. Could you expand?

gooseberry fool, were we supposed to be being serious?

User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Karl_ » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
Karl_ wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Tim Berners-Lee - the Internet will bring about the end of civilisation as we know it and contribute to billions dying.

This is an interesting take. I doubt I will agree, but I'm interested to hear why you think this. Could you expand?

gooseberry fool, were we supposed to be being serious?

:lol: It's definitely an interesting take though! I'm kind of sad you weren't serious.

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by <]:^D » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Karl_ wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Tim Berners-Lee - the Internet will bring about the end of civilisation as we know it and contribute to billions dying.

This is an interesting take. I doubt I will agree, but I'm interested to hear why you think this. Could you expand?


“This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a shitpost"

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Ironhide » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Tomous wrote:The Internet needs serious regulation and intervention from the Government.


Because that works so well in China.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Moggy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 pm

Ironhide wrote:
Tomous wrote:The Internet needs serious regulation and intervention from the Government.


Because that works so well in China.


Regulation doesn't have to mean "COMMUNIST CHINA!!!!!1!!!"

;)

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:07 pm

The unregulated Internet lead to Facebook. We shouldn't be adopting the Chinese playbook, but certainly there must be regulations and efforts to disassemble the monopolies of Facebook, Google, etc., and prevent the rise of successor monopolies.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Ironhide » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:11 pm

Moggy wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
Tomous wrote:The Internet needs serious regulation and intervention from the Government.


Because that works so well in China.


Regulation doesn't have to mean "COMMUNIST CHINA!!!!!1!!!"

;)


Would you trust the Tories to have full control over what you're allowed to see online?

Just look at how many agencies that are now able access your browsing history thanks to May's 'Snooprs Charter'.

Then there's the continuing 'Porn Block' debacle.

Last edited by Ironhide on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Errkal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Regulating the internet directly is a terrible idea, however, you can regulate the ways advertising, data analytics, etc can be done to prevent the gooseberry fool the likes of Facebook pull.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Tomous » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Errkal wrote:Regulating the internet directly is a terrible idea, however, you can regulate the ways advertising, data analytics, etc can be done to prevent the gooseberry fool the likes of Facebook pull.


Yep, this is what I was getting at.

It is the wild west at the moment.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Moggy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Ironhide wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
Tomous wrote:The Internet needs serious regulation and intervention from the Government.


Because that works so well in China.


Regulation doesn't have to mean "COMMUNIST CHINA!!!!!1!!!"

;)


Would you trust the Tories to have full control over what you're allowed to see online?

Just look at how many agencies that are now able access your browsing history thanks to May's 'Snooprs Charter'.

Then there's the continuing 'Porn Block' debacle.


Would you trust Zuckerberg to have full control over what billions of people see online?

I'm not a fan of snooping and the porn block was bloody stupid.

But I'm also not a fan of rising fascism. Regulating the internet doesn't have to be Chinese style or allowing the Tories to view your entire internet history. Some simple laws that hold Facebook etc accountable would do, laws with real teeth as well, not a wishy washy slap on the wrist, properly harsh penalties.

We do it for TV. We need it for the press and internet. It'll likely never happen though.

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Qikz » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 pm

Tomous wrote:The Internet needs serious regulation and intervention from the Government.

Social media companies in many ways are self governing. So they do what the strawberry float they want.


strawberry float no. The government needs to stay as far away from the internet as possible.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Who is the worst person in history?
by Moggy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Qikz wrote:
Tomous wrote:The Internet needs serious regulation and intervention from the Government.

Social media companies in many ways are self governing. So they do what the strawberry float they want.


strawberry float no. The government needs to stay as far away from the internet as possible.


Something needs to be done. We bitch and moan about Facebook's effect on Brexit and Trump, but people are literally dying because of it.

Ethiopia: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-50276603

Sri Lanka: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -sri-lanka

India: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ate-speech

strawberry float, they even caused a strawberry floating genocide in Myanmar: https://time.com/5880118/myanmar-rohing ... ok-gambia/

Facebook will not take any action by itself, it needs governments to take action.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: floydfreak, Minty14, Trelliz and 87 guests