The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:59 am

How did I not know there was a 3rd GBA F-Zero game?

I'll have a hunt and get it uploaded later tonight.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Cumberdanes
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Cumberdanes » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:How did I not know there was a 3rd GBA F-Zero game?

I'll have a hunt and get it uploaded later tonight.


I’ve probably got it, I’ll upload after lunch if I do.

Image

Image
User avatar
Cumberdanes
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Cumberdanes » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm

Lazy Fair wrote:Anyone able to add F-Zero Climax to the folder if they have it? Was considering buying. A copy then I saw the price. Eye watering!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Ask and ye shall receive!

If you want owt on GB, GBC or GBA gimme a shout as I have as best as I can tell complete collections for each of them.

Image

Image
User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Lazy Fair » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:13 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Lazy Fair wrote:Anyone able to add F-Zero Climax to the folder if they have it? Was considering buying. A copy then I saw the price. Eye watering!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Ask and ye shall receive!

If you want owt on GB, GBC or GBA gimme a shout as I have as best as I can tell complete collections for each of them.


Cheers mate, if you could put the other two GBA f zero games up that would be great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Lazy Fair wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Lazy Fair wrote:Anyone able to add F-Zero Climax to the folder if they have it? Was considering buying. A copy then I saw the price. Eye watering!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Ask and ye shall receive!

If you want owt on GB, GBC or GBA gimme a shout as I have as best as I can tell complete collections for each of them.


Cheers mate, if you could put the other two GBA f zero games up that would be great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maximum Velocity and GP Legend are already in the drive.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Lagamorph » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 pm

Anybody know what the Raspberry pi 4 is like at emulating the Sega Saturn?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Lazy Fair » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm

I couldn’t see them the other day. Got them now anyway, thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Jenuall » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:57 am

Lagamorph wrote:Anybody know what the Raspberry pi 4 is like at emulating the Sega Saturn?

Isn't the Saturn one of those systems that is notoriously hard to emulate even today?

I'm intruiged to learn more about how good the Pi 4 is for emulation, I've mainly stuck to 8 and 16 bit stuff on my Pi 3.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Lagamorph » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Anybody know what the Raspberry pi 4 is like at emulating the Sega Saturn?

Isn't the Saturn one of those systems that is notoriously hard to emulate even today?

I'm intruiged to learn more about how good the Pi 4 is for emulation, I've mainly stuck to 8 and 16 bit stuff on my Pi 3.

I think the Saturn is one where 2D emulation is pretty good but the 3D emulation struggles because of some really weird architecture in the Saturn and it not quite being a true 3D console.

I think the N64 and original Xbox are still kings of emulation fuckery though.


I've come close to ordering a modded original Xbox from eBay more than once that can both play discs and boot game backups from an internal hard drive, just to replay some old stuff that isn't on Xbox One BC (I'm looking at you Gun Metal!)

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Pedz » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:47 pm

I had some fun the other day playing Fighters Megamix via emulation. No idea how it compares to the Saturn version proper as I have not playred on a Saturn years.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Jenuall » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:54 pm

The N64 is always a surprising one when you think that stuff like UltraHLE was running decent support for stuff like Mario 64 back in 99 when the N64 was still current.

Admittedly that wasn't perfect and was in no way aiming for total support across all games (quite the opposite) but it still feels funny that after all this time the old N64 is still causing headaches for emulators!

I've only ever dabbled in Saturn emulation, when I tried it back in the day it was a long way off and as it was a console I never owned I just didn't have the desire to keep up with progress. Might be worth another look!

Image
User avatar
Mommy
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Mommy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Anybody know what the Raspberry pi 4 is like at emulating the Sega Saturn?



Not very good at the moment. Probably best to wait for the PI4 version of Retropi and see how that fairs.
Saturn never took my fancy enough to want to play emulated roms. Maybe Nights, but that's it.

User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Lazy Fair » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Anyone on here got a decent GBA flash card they’re willing to part with? Been looking at the EZ Flash Omega, but I just get the feeling I’m going to be ripped off with a fake if I buy one randomly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!
User avatar
Cumberdanes
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Cumberdanes » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 pm

I said this a while ago but even Nintendo aren’t great at N64 emulation. The GameCube version of Majora’s Mask is a bit of mess, it crashes all the time.

Image

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Lagamorph » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 pm

What's the best emulator for Dreamcast on PC these days?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Kriken
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Best boy
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Kriken » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

^ Demul maybe. http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index ... _emulators Used it a few months ago myelf and it seemed pretty good.

GC version of Majora's Mask isn't that bad. Probably is the most crash-prone version of the game and have a few memories of it crashing, but when doing a playthrough with a friend where we got all masks and beat the game it only crashed once. I believe there are also some audio glitches but I didn't notice them.

Wii U VC version of it though is a travesty, like OoT and I guess other N64 VC games. Lot of input lag and the dark filter. Kinda funny when you can play the much superior Wii VC versions of those games through virtual Wii on the same console.

User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Lazy Fair » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 am

Are there any decent (and affordable) options for playing your N64 on an HDTV?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Chocolate-Milk » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 am

Lazy Fair wrote:Are there any decent (and affordable) options for playing your N64 on an HDTV?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid the answer is 'pick one'

Chocolate-milk: Confirmed drinker of wank.
Image
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by Jazzem » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 am

I've been having a blast with PS1 emulation lately, the Beetle PSX HW core on Retroarch is so good. So many great ways you can enhance the tech of the original games.

I really struggle with the 'wobbliness' of PS1 visuals, so the PGXP option to mitigate that issue is golden. It's still not completely perfect across the board but I find I can set it to 'memory only' reliably for good results:



There's also resolution enhancing stuff of course, which I know tends to be divisive for old 3D visuals but I generally love it. Interestingly, if you have the Vulkan backend on there's a really neat supersampling option. With that, the game still renders outwardly at the original 240p but draws from a much higher resolution internally, giving the 3D visuals a far smoother and less aliased look.

The best use of this is on games with pre-rendered backgrounds, allowing the 3D visuals to mesh very naturally with the backdrops. Coupling that feature with a scanline filter was a wonderful way to finally play through Parasite Eve.



Accuracy on the hardware renderer generally seems to be really strong, though I have come into some issues; Pepsiman was unplayable due to graphical glitches, one spell effect in Parasite Eve displayed incorrectly and a screen 'wave' effect caused issues in Mega Man Legends 2 (anytime I was underwater or in a hot area with a heatwave effect).

If the issue is severe I tend to just swap over to the software renderer for the section, which has much less headroom for going high on resolution and such but is still a fair compromise.

Last edited by Jazzem on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K
by KjGarly » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Jazzem wrote:I've been having a blast with PS1 emulation lately, the Beetle PSX HW core on Retroarch is so good. So many great ways you can enhance the tech of the original games.

I really struggle with the 'wobbliness' of PS1 visuals, so the PGXP option to mitigate that issue is golden. It's still not completely perfect across the board but I find I can set it to 'memory only' reliably for good results:



There's also resolution enhancing stuff of course, which I know tends to be divisive for old 3D visuals but I generally love it. Interestingly, if you have the Vulkan backend on there's a really neat supersampling option. With that, the game still renders outwardly at the original 240p but draws from a much higher resolution internally, giving the 3D visuals a far smoother and less aliased look. The best use of this is on games with pre-rendered backgrounds, allowing the 3D visuals to mesh very naturally with the backdrops. Coupling that feature with a scanline filter was a wonderful way to finally play through Parasite Eve.



Accuracy on the hardware renderer generally seems to be really strong, though I have come into some issues; Pepsiman was unplayable due to graphical glitches, one spell effect in Parasite Eve displayed incorrectly and a screen 'wave' effect caused issues in Mega Man Legends 2 (anytime I was underwater or in a hot area with a heatwave effect). If the issue is severe I tend to just swap over to the software renderer for the section, which has much less headroom for going high on resolution and such but is still a fair compromise.


If you plan on going through the classic Res Evil 2 and 3 then you should try it on Dolphin with the Seamless HD versions people have created..

Image

https://www.reshdp.com/re3/

Image
Image Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, Benzin, Met, Monkey Man, Parksey, Tafdolphin, Trelliz, Yubel and 41 guests