Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Edd
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Edd » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:15 pm

Not much I'm overly interested in right now but still thought it was a pretty great showing. Just a shame both Sony and Microsoft seem to have gone back to the days of putting on a playlist of almost nothing but CGI trailers.

Image
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by DarkRula » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Interesting games shown in uninspired ways. I could feel myself starting to disengage from the presentation. The twists and unexpected moments were what kept me around. Everwild looked nice, and it's good to see a new Obsidian RPG with Avowed. Confirmation of Fable is great, and the Psychonauts 2 trailer looked as psychedelic as the name suggests. Forza Motorsport seems like it'll either be a great advancement for the series or a complete what the hell were they using the time on.

Not the greatest showing, but there were plenty of games shown off. I think it's just best to accept that getting gameplay out of these kind of events is a rarity.

Image
Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Photek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Just home, I thought it was good, halo demo was WAY too short. I’ll expand more after I see them in 4K

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
DaveDS
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - On Live now!!!!
by DaveDS » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Mafro wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Eighthours wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:why even strawberry floating bother with that Fable trailer?

I mean, really


I expect more from 'one more thing' than a minute-long CG trailer.


Especially since



Obviously we're an enthusiast crowd here, so I understand why it was included. But I didn't expect much, and got even less.

Oooh what a smug bellend.

EDIT: the Eurogamer guy, not Taf :lol:


Image


It was a win win stab for Maf tbh

Rewatching the Halo footage and I still think it looks great, but it does look decidedly this gen. Not a massive problem, but it's an odd decision to launch a new console with a cross-gen game.

This will sound like a weird complaint but bits of the environment in the distance looked very blocky and Minecraft-y.


There is pop-in and jarring level of detail changes all over the place. Very noticeable examples are the rocks while on the warthog, everything(?) when switching from the map back to gameplay, or near the end when master chief presses that button activating the hologram, what actually happened there...? an entire level of detail switch literally in front of the camera.. :? When i seen this on the live stream I thought the stream had jumped forward a few seconds.

Pre-release footage and all but people need to remember this engine and game is designed to run at 60fps on an original xbox-one, despite the PR speak that this was "developed from the ground up to take full advantage of series X". Turning up resolution and things like shadow detail etc is clearly not the same thing and is also clearly what has happened here. Why Microsoft were so adamant to push that idea is beyond me because it's selling their new hardware (plus the developers) short.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - On Live now!!!!
by Peter Crisp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:34 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:STALKER 2, Everwild and, honestly, more info on Destiny 2 Beyond Light made it worth the watch.

Halo looked pretty but well-trodden and Fable was a waste of a finale with that empty CGi thing.

Destiny 2 expansions on Game Pass is mighty tempting since I wouldn't have to pay money for Bungie's buff-nerf cycle: The Game


Apparently ALL the expansions will be free, but next year's Seasons will still cost you.


Having not played Destiny for a long time now I'd imagine my stuff is all obsolete now so it would be almost like starting again but I'll certainly give the free version a try and see what it looks like on Series X as the graphics have always been solid anyway. I've never seen it running at 60fps so that should be a change at least.

Last edited by Peter Crisp on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - On Live now!!!!
by Tafdolphin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:35 pm

DaveDS wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Eighthours wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:why even strawberry floating bother with that Fable trailer?

I mean, really


I expect more from 'one more thing' than a minute-long CG trailer.


Especially since



Obviously we're an enthusiast crowd here, so I understand why it was included. But I didn't expect much, and got even less.

Oooh what a smug bellend.

EDIT: the Eurogamer guy, not Taf :lol:


Image


It was a win win stab for Maf tbh

Rewatching the Halo footage and I still think it looks great, but it does look decidedly this gen. Not a massive problem, but it's an odd decision to launch a new console with a cross-gen game.

This will sound like a weird complaint but bits of the environment in the distance looked very blocky and Minecraft-y.


There is pop-in and jarring level of detail changes all over the place. Very noticeable examples are the rocks while on the warthog, everything(?) when switching from the map back to gameplay, or near the end when master chief presses that button activating the hologram, what actually happened there...? an entire level of detail switch literally in front of the camera.. :? When i seen this on the live stream I thought the stream had jumped forward a few seconds.

Pre-release footage and all but people need to remember this engine and game is designed to run at 60fps on an original xbox-one, despite the PR speak that this was "developed from the ground up to take full advantage of series X". Turning up resolution and things like shadow detail etc is clearly not the same thing and is also clearly what has happened here. Why Microsoft were so adamant to push that idea is beyond me because it's selling their new hardware (plus the developers) short.


Mafro wrote:Image

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by more heat than light » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:38 pm

> Too much CG

*shows actual gameplay*

> That looks ugly!

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Tafdolphin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:39 pm

more heat than light wrote:> Too much CG

*shows actual gameplay*

> That looks ugly!


That about sums it up yes.

I still think it has potential. I love how clean it looks, how there's no aliasing at all by the looks of it, and how they're obviously trying to evoke CE. The grapple looks genuinely excellent.

Bits of it do look like ass, however.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Tomous » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:42 pm

60hz, semi open world and cross gen all contributing.

Doesn't feel like a system seller though.

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Photek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:51 pm

I just watched Halo gameplay in 4K... honestly can’t see things too bad on first showing. Open world halo? Sign me up.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Peter Crisp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:59 pm

Watching the Halo reveal again in 4K and it does seem much better.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Photek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:08 pm

I’m happy with halo, avowed (I believe in Obsidian), Stalker 2, fable (at least it’s official FINALLY), everwild, psychonauts 2, the medium, Stars of Decay 3 (hoping the bigger team can take it to another level).

Intrigued with Dusk as Falls. Happy about Destiny 2 and expansions hitting GP.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Samuel_1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Samuel_1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Everwild looked really nice, as did a number of the timed exclusives. Halo looked fun, but graphically underwhelming, not that this is the be all and end all.

But come on Phil, the idea that this showcase clearly showed a hardware advantage over the competition is bollocks.

Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Robbo-92 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 pm

Samuel_1 wrote:Everwild looked really nice, as did a number of the timed exclusives. Halo looked fun, but graphically underwhelming, not that this is the be all and end all.

But come on Phil, the idea that this showcase clearly showed a hardware advantage over the competition is bollocks.


I found it with the Sony show as well, games looked good but graphically didn’t look amazing. I’ve always put it down to the compression it’ll have from YouTube.

Going to give this another watch tomorrow, see if I feel as positively about it as I do today.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Photek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Halo looks Way better in 4K

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Samuel_1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Samuel_1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:49 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:Everwild looked really nice, as did a number of the timed exclusives. Halo looked fun, but graphically underwhelming, not that this is the be all and end all.

But come on Phil, the idea that this showcase clearly showed a hardware advantage over the competition is bollocks.


I found it with the Sony show as well, games looked good but graphically didn’t look amazing. I’ve always put it down to the compression it’ll have from YouTube.

Going to give this another watch tomorrow, see if I feel as positively about it as I do today.

I'm sure that had something to do with it.
I was pretty disappointed, apart from the X1 generation, I have owned all other xbox consoles, unless they have quite a bit more to show, I won't be picking up an SX or SS near launch. That being said, as MSs new studios start to bare fruit, I'll probably get a version of the console over the coming years

Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Photek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:50 pm

A regular cadence of big games should start happening next year...

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Samuel_1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Samuel_1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:54 pm

Photek wrote:A regular cadence of big games should start happening next year...

I expect so. What's the deal with live these days, is it all under gamepass or what? I'm confused by their pulling of the gold subscription.

Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Photek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Samuel_1 wrote:
Photek wrote:A regular cadence of big games should start happening next year...

I expect so. What's the deal with live these days, is it all under gamepass or what? I'm confused by their pulling of the gold subscription.

They haven’t pulled gold yet. Gold is included in Gamepass ultimate. I think Xbox will be free to play online soon and the hope is, with the games in showcase all joining GP, people will sign up for it.

Anyone who has gold sub left over will have it upgraded to ultimate I reckon. They already did that with an offer before.

Image
Modern Warfare Tag: PHOTEK#9326680
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Xbox Games Showcase - All over. Everything was Game Pass. Summary/Vid (p1)
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 pm

It's pretty nuts that as a pc owner, I can subscribe to gamepass and play most of this stuff without needing to get an Xbox. I had no idea so many games would be on pc too (I only knew of Forza and halo MCC before).

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chocolate-Milk, Fade, Frank, Hound, kazanova_Frankenstein, KjGarly, Lime, mark9, Minty14, Photek, Qikz and 89 guests