Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by BID0 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:21 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:It's also the reason that the versions of GTA you get online just now are objectively lesser than their original releases. I believe the licence for music use in perpetuity is tends to be much more expensive. So Rockstar only paid for time-limited licences for the music in those games, meaning they've actually gone in and removed some songs from the game.

If this was just for versions sold going forward it would be shite, but understandable, however they've actually issued patches for existing customers effectively removing the music from copies that are already out there. So they are literally going into your games and removing content you paid for.

AFAIK you can't licence music in perpetuity, you licence it for 5 years use and relicense for every 5 year period after that to continue using it in the manor it was covered in the licence.

There's no legal reason a game that you've bought before should be patched and have content removed. That's a choice of the product creator to make it cheaper to administer their product beyond the licence expiry and it's probably not likely to be a problem for many games outside of GTA that still sell enough to warrant keeping on a store to sell, most will be pulled from sale instead.

It's only really become a thing now because we have moved over to digital products which enable something to be sold indefinitely which is not something that happens with physical product that are produced as new for X amount of print runs.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:42 pm

BID0 wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:It's also the reason that the versions of GTA you get online just now are objectively lesser than their original releases. I believe the licence for music use in perpetuity is tends to be much more expensive. So Rockstar only paid for time-limited licences for the music in those games, meaning they've actually gone in and removed some songs from the game.

If this was just for versions sold going forward it would be shite, but understandable, however they've actually issued patches for existing customers effectively removing the music from copies that are already out there. So they are literally going into your games and removing content you paid for.

AFAIK you can't licence music in perpetuity, you licence it for 5 years use and relicense for every 5 year period after that to continue using it in the manor it was covered in the licence.

There's no legal reason a game that you've bought before should be patched and have content removed. That's a choice of the product creator to make it cheaper to administer their product beyond the licence expiry and it's probably not likely to be a problem for many games outside of GTA that still sell enough to warrant keeping on a store to sell, most will be pulled from sale instead.

It's only really become a thing now because we have moved over to digital products which enable something to be sold indefinitely which is not something that happens with physical product that are produced as new for X amount of print runs.


I'm sure I've heard of perpetual licenses, but I may have misunderstood. :lol:

And yeah, there was nothing making Rockstar remove the music from already sold/installed digital copies of the game. That's all on them.
Biggest explanation I heard for that was so they didn't need to maintain different versions of the game. Luckily the fan community modded the removed content back in.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:47 pm

Except QR not working all the time I’ve only got one other minor gripe and it’s with the controller/play and charge kit. When you plug the pad into charge it’s fine but you get no notification when it’s fully charged? You get plenty when it’s running out of power but none saying it’s finished charging. Also when you assume it’s fully charged and unplug it, it’s hit or miss whether it reconnects or not. Anyone else having a similar issue? Or just me?

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Photek » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Except QR not working all the time I’ve only got one other minor gripe and it’s with the controller/play and charge kit. When you plug the pad into charge it’s fine but you get no notification when it’s fully charged? You get plenty when it’s running out of power but none saying it’s finished charging. Also when you assume it’s fully charged and unplug it, it’s hit or miss whether it reconnects or not. Anyone else having a similar issue? Or just me?

I've been fortunate but it's an issue they are aware of and are apparently 'working to resolve'.

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:00 pm

Photek wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Except QR not working all the time I’ve only got one other minor gripe and it’s with the controller/play and charge kit. When you plug the pad into charge it’s fine but you get no notification when it’s fully charged? You get plenty when it’s running out of power but none saying it’s finished charging. Also when you assume it’s fully charged and unplug it, it’s hit or miss whether it reconnects or not. Anyone else having a similar issue? Or just me?

I've been fortunate but it's an issue they are aware of and are apparently 'working to resolve'.


Good to know they’re working on it, have they mentioned any sort of notification for when it’s fully charged as well?

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:46 pm

When do you guys think we'll start seeing updates on all the studios Microsoft bought?
There's a pretty shocking lack of SX/SS exclusives at the moment and while I know they don't want to drop the XBO just yet they could at least start letting info out about exclusives coming soon.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Monkey Man » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:13 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:When do you guys think we'll start seeing updates on all the studios Microsoft bought?
There's a pretty shocking lack of SX/SS exclusives at the moment and while I know they don't want to drop the XBO just yet they could at least start letting info out about exclusives coming soon.

Updates at "E3" time and beyond although there's a chance something might be said when the Bethesda deal closes.

Games released 2022 and beyond although there's a chance Starfield, Forza Horizon 5 & Wolfenstein 3 will be out this year.

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by KK » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 pm

Found this article from the March (February) 2006 Official Xbox 360 magazine; reminded me, despite loads of people currently having a 'mare getting hold of a PS5 and Xbox Series X at the moment, the launch of the Xbox 360 wasn't that much better either...

Image

Image
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 am

I remember the 360 launch being pretty harrowing. My pre order from Dixons got downgraded to the version without a HDD. Thought i would pick up one (HDD) on the day. No chance. Had to live with a crappy 128mb card for the first couple of months.

Image
Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by KK » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm

MS don’t expect the situation to get any better until summer:

Xbox Series X will be in short supply until at least June, Microsoft admits

Demand for Microsoft’s latest Xbox Series X console is high, but supply isn’t likely to keep up until at least through June now. In an interview with The New York Times, Microsoft’s head of investor relations, Mike Spencer, revealed supply of its new Xbox consoles will be constrained at least through June.

Microsoft had warned that the Xbox Series X would be in short supply until at least April or beyond, and it’s now clear the wait for stock is going to continue for longer. The difficult supply situation does mean that Microsoft sold every Xbox unit it had last quarter, during a quarter it hit $5 billion in gaming revenue for the first time ever.

It’s been incredibly difficult to buy an Xbox Series X, PS5, or even the latest AMD and Nvidia GPUs in recent months. These shortages look set to continue through most of 2021, with AMD CEO Lisa Su warning there might not be capacity until the second half of the year. “The industry does need to increase the overall capacity levels,” said Su on an earnings call last week. “And so we do see some tightness through the first half of the year, but there’s added capacity in the second half.” AMD saw supply constraints in the PC market, particularly the low end, and in gaming toward the end of 2020.

Part of the problem for retailers and consumers is scalpers, too. The real cost of a new GPU or game console was incredibly high toward the end of 2020, thanks to eBay resellers. It’s an issue that has proved difficult for the entire industry to tackle, and it means the wait for a PS5, Xbox Series X, or new GPU will continue for most people for most of 2021.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/1/22260 ... onstraints

Image
User avatar
andythevillan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Birmingham

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by andythevillan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 pm

My launch Series X is on it's way back to MS service for a replacement. Worked fine until 2 days ago it started randomly shutting down and crashing. Nothing to do with playing the latest COD/AC games. Full reset didn't solve it and no problem with the power cable. Looking online some people think there is a bad batch manufactured around July/August.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Rex Kramer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:06 am

As absolutely ridiculous as the visuals are on DMC5, it does look pretty sweet on Series X.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by rinks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:28 am

andythevillan wrote:My launch Series X is on it's way back to MS service for a replacement. Worked fine until 2 days ago it started randomly shutting down and crashing. Nothing to do with playing the latest COD/AC games. Full reset didn't solve it and no problem with the power cable. Looking online some people think there is a bad batch manufactured around July/August.

Ah crap. Have they said if you’ll get a replacement immediately? Presumably they’re now keeping some in stock for replacements, despite the shortage.

User avatar
andythevillan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Birmingham

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by andythevillan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:05 pm

rinks wrote:
andythevillan wrote:My launch Series X is on it's way back to MS service for a replacement. Worked fine until 2 days ago it started randomly shutting down and crashing. Nothing to do with playing the latest COD/AC games. Full reset didn't solve it and no problem with the power cable. Looking online some people think there is a bad batch manufactured around July/August.

Ah crap. Have they said if you’ll get a replacement immediately? Presumably they’re now keeping some in stock for replacements, despite the shortage.

Not sure as done the return online. Hopefully will only take 2-3 weeks max

User avatar
LewisD
#grcadesangle
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by LewisD » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:05 pm

KK wrote:Found this article from the March (February) 2006 Official Xbox 360 magazine; reminded me, despite loads of people currently having a 'mare getting hold of a PS5 and Xbox Series X at the moment, the launch of the Xbox 360 wasn't that much better either...

Image


Oh man the 360 launch. I tried everywhere at the time. Back then your best option was trudging to shops/phoning around.

Managed to get the very last one on the shelf at Woolworths in the peacock shopping centre in Woking.
Just on the off chance too, I'd damn near given up hope of getting one.

Got Call of Duty 2 and PGR3 with it too :datass:.

I then go so excited that when I caught up with my family in the food court I put the whole bag of console and games straight on top of my niece's happy meal without realising. She was gutted. :slol:

User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:51 am

LewisD wrote:
KK wrote:Found this article from the March (February) 2006 Official Xbox 360 magazine; reminded me, despite loads of people currently having a 'mare getting hold of a PS5 and Xbox Series X at the moment, the launch of the Xbox 360 wasn't that much better either...

Image


Oh man the 360 launch. I tried everywhere at the time. Back then your best option was trudging to shops/phoning around.

Managed to get the very last one on the shelf at Woolworths in the peacock shopping centre in Woking.
Just on the off chance too, I'd damn near given up hope of getting one.

Got Call of Duty 2 and PGR3 with it too :datass:.

I then go so excited that when I caught up with my family in the food court I put the whole bag of console and games straight on top of my niece's happy meal without realising. She was gutted. :slol:


:lol:

Oh, and i picked up PGR3 and CoD2 with mine as well. They looked amazing on my 720p LCD screen 8-)

Image
Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Peter Crisp » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 pm

If you have a series X and a decent TV remember to go into the xbox's video settings, Video fidelity and select 10 bit colour depth (the default is 8bit) and change colour space to PC RGB as this makes quite a difference.
Just make sure it works on your TV by waiting a few seconds before confirming as it will change back if it doesn't work.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Robbo-92 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:If you have a series X and a decent TV remember to go into the xbox's video settings, Video fidelity and select 10 bit colour depth (the default is 8bit) and change colour space to PC RGB as this makes quite a difference.
Just make sure it works on your TV by waiting a few seconds before confirming as it will change back if it doesn't work.


I’ve changed them but can’t really tell much difference, I’ll keep it as is for now anyway.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
andythevillan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Birmingham

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by andythevillan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:18 pm

Received email from MS service unit that my replacement Series X is dispatched. Very quick 48hr turn around time to replace my faulty machine thought it would be a couple of weeks at least

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox Series X|S Thread - Power Your Dreams. Perfectly Dark.
by Photek » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:51 pm

andythevillan wrote:Received email from MS service unit that my replacement Series X is dispatched. Very quick 48hr turn around time to replace my faulty machine thought it would be a couple of weeks at least

I'm surprised by that too, I mean they are fast enough generally but I presumed with the console shortages it'd be longer. I wonder if they know the percentage that are faulty and keep replacements to facilitate that number?

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DarkRula, GrinWithoutaKat, hamm sandwich, kazanova_Frankenstein, OrangeRKN, Peter Crisp, Rubix, Saint of Killers, TonyDA, Zilnad and 162 guests