Your Unpopular Opinions

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Tomous » Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm

I'm not saying it's good though. Just that it's not a classic in my mind in the way OoT is.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Squinty » Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 pm

There's no way Twilight Princess is anywhere near OoT. It's largely meh apart from the dungeons.

User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Met » Mon May 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Squinty wrote:There's no way Twilight Princess is anywhere near OoT. It's largely meh apart from the dungeons.


Then again, so is OoT. It's not even top 5 Zeldas, let alone top 5 games.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Hime » Mon May 18, 2020 6:56 pm

Met wrote:
Squinty wrote:There's no way Twilight Princess is anywhere near OoT. It's largely meh apart from the dungeons.


Then again, so is OoT. It's not even top 5 Zeldas, let alone top 5 games.

Go on then I'll bite, name 5 Zelda games better than OoT.

Image
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Met » Mon May 18, 2020 6:58 pm

Hime wrote:
Met wrote:
Squinty wrote:There's no way Twilight Princess is anywhere near OoT. It's largely meh apart from the dungeons.


Then again, so is OoT. It's not even top 5 Zeldas, let alone top 5 games.

Go on then I'll bite, name 5 Zelda games better than OoT.


Majora's Mask,
Link's Awakening
Wind Waker,
Twilight Princess,
Link to the Past

User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Balladeer » Mon May 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Imagine saying that any 3D Zelda is ‘meh’.

Met wrote:I don't think things need to reinvent the wheel every time to be considered good.

Here’s an unpopular opinion then: innovation is obviously good, but refinement of an existing idea is just as important and gets an unfair rep. in retrospectives because somehow the refined game isn’t as ‘special’. It’s got all the special things still in there! They’re just better.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Drumstick » Mon May 18, 2020 7:08 pm

So is Link's Awakening on Switch better than its previous iterations?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Vermilion » Mon May 18, 2020 7:11 pm

Balladeer wrote:Imagine saying that any 3D Zelda is ‘meh’.


Majoras Mask was.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Tomous » Mon May 18, 2020 7:15 pm

Balladeer wrote:Imagine saying that any 3D Zelda is ‘meh’.

Met wrote:I don't think things need to reinvent the wheel every time to be considered good.

Here’s an unpopular opinion then: innovation is obviously good, but refinement of an existing idea is just as important and gets an unfair rep. in retrospectives because somehow the refined game isn’t as ‘special’. It’s got all the special things still in there! They’re just better.


The refined game isn't as special because you already had those experiences once. The first time is always going to have had more impact on you.

I would agree refinement of ideas is a good thing and does get unfair criticism but I can't get on board with it being just as important as innovation. Seeing something again just isn't as exciting, even if it has been improved somewhat.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Mafro » Mon May 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Skyward Sword is better than Wind Waker.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Met » Mon May 18, 2020 7:26 pm

Mafro wrote:Skyward Sword is better than Wind Waker.


OK, let's not get wild now.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Ironhide » Mon May 18, 2020 8:19 pm

Of the Zelda games I've played, my order of preference would be roughly:

Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Link's Awakening
Phantom Hourglass
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Hime » Mon May 18, 2020 8:22 pm

Met wrote:
Hime wrote:
Met wrote:
Squinty wrote:There's no way Twilight Princess is anywhere near OoT. It's largely meh apart from the dungeons.


Then again, so is OoT. It's not even top 5 Zeldas, let alone top 5 games.

Go on then I'll bite, name 5 Zelda games better than OoT.


Majora's Mask,
Link's Awakening
Wind Waker,
Twilight Princess,
Link to the Past

This is the problem with these discussions, I disagree entirely but I don't want to be overly negative about those games as they're Zelda so better than almost everything else out there.

Apart from TP, throw that in the bin.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Mafro » Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 pm

3D Zeldas

Breath of the Wild
Majora's Mask
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker

2D Zeldas

Link's Awakening
Link Between Worlds
Link to the Past
The DS and Capcom GBC ones
Minish Cap
Adventures of Link
Legend of Zelda

Combined list

Breath of the Wild
Majora's Mask
Link's Awakening
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Link to the Past
The DS and Capcom GBC ones
Minish Cap
Adventures of Link
Legend of Zelda

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Balladeer » Mon May 18, 2020 8:33 pm

Drumstick wrote:So is Link's Awakening on Switch better than its previous iterations?

I think I would have found LA unplayable if I tried to have a crack at the original GB version now.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Hime » Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Skyward Sword is a weird one for me, I was off work after an operation and played it to death but I honestly can't remember anything about it. Not in a million years would I put it about OoT though.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by OrangeRKN » Mon May 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Drumstick wrote:So is Link's Awakening on Switch better than its previous iterations?


I'd recommend any new player goes for the Switch remake because of the quality of life improvements, but DX still edges it for me, and only partly from nostalgia

Mafro wrote:Skyward Sword is better than Wind Waker.


I agree with this

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Drumstick » Mon May 18, 2020 9:40 pm

OoT > BotW > LA

Unsure where MM, WW and TP will fit in.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Welcome to the party, pal

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Chocolate-Milk » Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Mafro wrote:Skyward Sword is better than Wind Waker.


I agree with this

Scott

You and I have known each other for close to 15 years now


I both respect and admire you


But sometimes you make it really difficult.

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Tomous » Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pm

OOT > BOTW > MM > WW > SS > TP

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, Edd, Frank, Garth, ITSMILNER, kerr9000, KjGarly, Mafro, Met, more heat than light, Spindash, Tsunade and 145 guests