Your Unpopular Opinions

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Mafro » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Qikz wrote:I found Dark Souls slow and boring. I couldn't get into it at all.

F

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Pedz » Tue May 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Balladeer wrote:Skinnerchildrenwhoarewrong.png

I don’t know if it’s just the way you post, but I’m getting the feeling that my general preference for newer games... aggravates you? Is that the right term? I’m not saying you don’t have to like old games or that it’s bad to like them. Older games make design choices and face technical limitations that are endemic of the eras and I’m not keen on a lot of them, with the greater propensity to get lost in inherently less immersive (IMO) 2D worlds being key among them. That’s how it happens. People five years younger than me can’t stand Super Mario 64 because it feels empty and old, and that’s natural. Likewise I’m aware that I apply rose tinted goggles to SM64 and the games I played in that era because that’s what I grew up with, although I try to take them off.

Regardless, that post and a couple of others read like you think I have some sort of problem because of my tastes in games, and it’s a little too persistent and tonally off to feel like a joke. :?

(Incidentally my favourite game from the pre-N64 era is the excellent Gunstar Heroes. It’d be in with a shot of my top 25 if it wasn’t quite short and, unless I missed something, required you to start right over if you messed up - again, I suspect, due to technical limitations of the era.)


I have children who are 13 and under some of their favourite games are things like Mega Man and other older titles and they first played games on PS3's or PS4's. I find it odd is all that something older is somehow bad to people and then use the how Rose tinted glasses bollocks as a reason that older people like older games. Its bollocks.

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Hime » Tue May 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Pedz wrote:
Balladeer wrote:Skinnerchildrenwhoarewrong.png

I don’t know if it’s just the way you post, but I’m getting the feeling that my general preference for newer games... aggravates you? Is that the right term? I’m not saying you don’t have to like old games or that it’s bad to like them. Older games make design choices and face technical limitations that are endemic of the eras and I’m not keen on a lot of them, with the greater propensity to get lost in inherently less immersive (IMO) 2D worlds being key among them. That’s how it happens. People five years younger than me can’t stand Super Mario 64 because it feels empty and old, and that’s natural. Likewise I’m aware that I apply rose tinted goggles to SM64 and the games I played in that era because that’s what I grew up with, although I try to take them off.

Regardless, that post and a couple of others read like you think I have some sort of problem because of my tastes in games, and it’s a little too persistent and tonally off to feel like a joke. :?

(Incidentally my favourite game from the pre-N64 era is the excellent Gunstar Heroes. It’d be in with a shot of my top 25 if it wasn’t quite short and, unless I missed something, required you to start right over if you messed up - again, I suspect, due to technical limitations of the era.)


I have children who are 13 and under some of their favourite games are things like Mega Man and other older titles and they first played games on PS3's or PS4's. I find it odd is all that something older is somehow bad to people and then use the how Rose tinted glasses bollocks as a reason that older people like older games. Its bollocks.

I find most games of the NES era and older pretty difficult to play if I'm honest.

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Pedz » Tue May 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Hime wrote:
Pedz wrote:
Balladeer wrote:Skinnerchildrenwhoarewrong.png

I don’t know if it’s just the way you post, but I’m getting the feeling that my general preference for newer games... aggravates you? Is that the right term? I’m not saying you don’t have to like old games or that it’s bad to like them. Older games make design choices and face technical limitations that are endemic of the eras and I’m not keen on a lot of them, with the greater propensity to get lost in inherently less immersive (IMO) 2D worlds being key among them. That’s how it happens. People five years younger than me can’t stand Super Mario 64 because it feels empty and old, and that’s natural. Likewise I’m aware that I apply rose tinted goggles to SM64 and the games I played in that era because that’s what I grew up with, although I try to take them off.

Regardless, that post and a couple of others read like you think I have some sort of problem because of my tastes in games, and it’s a little too persistent and tonally off to feel like a joke. :?

(Incidentally my favourite game from the pre-N64 era is the excellent Gunstar Heroes. It’d be in with a shot of my top 25 if it wasn’t quite short and, unless I missed something, required you to start right over if you messed up - again, I suspect, due to technical limitations of the era.)


I have children who are 13 and under some of their favourite games are things like Mega Man and other older titles and they first played games on PS3's or PS4's. I find it odd is all that something older is somehow bad to people and then use the how Rose tinted glasses bollocks as a reason that older people like older games. Its bollocks.

I find most games of the NES era and older pretty difficult to play if I'm honest.

I get everyone is different but to say people only like them because it's what they played when they were younger is bullshit. Yes, I had a NES when younger, but I didn't play a lot of older games until I was 18. Mega Man, I played properly only 4 years ago and have finished all 6 games NES games since. I simply try things with an open mind. strawberry float I can't stand dark Souls and have still bought all of them and tried them all to give them their fair shot.
I never had things like an Atari yet have played several AtariST games via an emulator and enjoyed them, I never had an Atari yet picked up the atari pack with a ton of 2600 games and enjoyed some. If you go in thinking you ain't going to like something cause it's old then you ain't going to like it.

My two eldest kids tried VR in a Cardiff game event thing a few years back, just before that they tried a NES and SNES Mini, when I said do you want to try another VR game, they said no can we go back on them and they carried on with Mega Man 2 and Yoshi's Island.

Image
User avatar
Cumberdanes
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Cumberdanes » Tue May 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I didn't play H.E.R.O. for 2600 until a compilation on PS1 and thought it was excellent, still do. Such a fun game.

Image

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Pedz » Tue May 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Rose-tinted specs mate, cleary played it and forgot.

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Balladeer » Tue May 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Pedz wrote:I have children who are 13 and under some of their favourite games are things like Mega Man and other older titles and they first played games on PS3's or PS4's. I find it odd is all that something older is somehow bad to people and then use the how Rose tinted glasses bollocks as a reason that older people like older games. Its bollocks.

I believe you, but that’s a sample size of two, neither of whom are me. Given their dad they were probably instilled with a love of retro games from the off! Personally (and God knows that’s the key word here), I played a lot of SNES and earlier games on GBA and the various Virtual Consoles at ages too young to have formed preconceptions of what I liked. I liked some of them; I disliked others; and I have revised my opinions on some I liked over time. Super Mario Land was my very first proper game and I’ll always have a soft spot for it. I don’t think it holds up these days.

Anyway: I won’t say that rose-tinted glasses is the reason (it is a reason, I’m sure you understand that, and one that we all have including me) why older games I may not appreciate are liked if you’ll not get annoyed every time I mention not liking an older game. I may occasionally fail to appreciate one-off older games that are much-loved in the modern day, as I’m sure everyone does - this is the unpopular opinions thread after all.

Is that okay?

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Corazon de Leon » Tue May 19, 2020 1:12 pm

I couldn’t really care less about someone’s preference for newer games over older ones, that’s absolutely fair enough. I do think that to say older games wouldn’t get a look in if it weren’t for nostalgia is a nonsense argument though. The best games stand the test of time and are still enjoyable for new and old gamers. And I’m not saying anyone here has used that as an argument either, it’s just my point of view on the rose tinted spectacles thing.

Last edited by Corazon de Leon on Tue May 19, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Pedz » Tue May 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:I couldn’t really care less about someone’s preference for newer games over older ones, that’s absolutely fair enough. I do think that to say older games wouldn’t get a look in if it weren’t for nostalgia is a nonsense argument though. The best games stand the test of time and are still enjoyable for new and old gamers.



Exactly.

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Balladeer » Tue May 19, 2020 1:14 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever said that. I’m sure someone will pull out a quote that contradicts me though. :slol:

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Corazon de Leon » Tue May 19, 2020 1:15 pm

That’s not to say Balladeer has been saying that though; I don’t know the guy well enough to know if that’s his point of view.

EDIT: yes, exactly what you say Balladeer.

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Balladeer » Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:That’s not to say Balladeer has been saying that though; I don’t know the guy well enough to know if that’s his point of view.

My personal and objectively correct view is that every piece of culture that’s older than me is a waste of space and should be burned.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Pedz » Tue May 19, 2020 1:19 pm

I don't know if he/she has, but the last thing I quoted him/her on was that they wouldn't have been able to play through Link's Awakening had it not been due to the Switch update. I was just pointing out that Balladeer general doesn't like retro titles and that's likely why.

Again, plenty here played it within the last few years for the first time and rate as one of their best Zelda games ever, which was my main point.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Karl_ » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

:lol: Poor Balladeer, getting slated for their unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinions thread. Bit harsh!

For me personally -- I recognise a lot of classic games that I love have aged pretty badly in some respects. I don't think I would be motivated to push through the jank in games like Deus Ex or Half-Life (two of my faves!) if I didn't have an emotional connection to them. Even A Link to the Past is a bit obscure in places in that way old console games often are, in a way that I find endearing because I understand the context it was made in, but that I would find annoying from a modern game.

However, they are classics for a reason and they still have plenty of moments that make you think "Wow, this game is great". Those moments are timeless imo.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Pedz » Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Karls just as gooseberry fool with his hate indie games. gooseberry fool KARL!

People who refuse to watch Black and White films, or film older than them, or films with subs are also strawberry floating twats. strawberry float them off into the sea.

Image
User avatar
Cumberdanes
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Cumberdanes » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Pedz wrote:Karls just as gooseberry fool with his hate indie games. gooseberry fool KARL!

People who refuse to watch Black and White films, or film older than them, or films with subs are also strawberry floating twats. strawberry float them off into the sea.


I can't listen to Mozart as there's no bass drop.

Image

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Hime » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Karl_ wrote::lol: Poor Balladeer, getting slated for their unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinions thread. Bit harsh!

For me personally -- I recognise a lot of classic games that I love have aged pretty badly in some respects. I don't think I would be motivated to push through the jank in games like Deus Ex or Half-Life (two of my faves!) if I didn't have an emotional connection to them. Even A Link to the Past is a bit obscure in places in that way old console games often are, in a way that I find endearing because I understand the context it was made in, but that I would find annoying from a modern game.

However, they are classics for a reason and they still have plenty of moments that make you think "Wow, this game is great". Those moments are timeless imo.

I think a game can be both a classic and not particularly great by modern standards. However I do think modern games have trained us to have an understanding of what is and isn't possible in games across the board so playing something that requires a bit of lateral thinking can be difficult.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Karl_ » Tue May 19, 2020 1:37 pm

@Hime: Agreed! Games have a different cultural context now, an expanded audience, and decades more of canon within the medium that have changed/refined our expectations. I don't think games today are necessarily easier ("the Dark Souls of x" is its own subgenre now!) but they present difficulty differently for sure.



@Pedz: :lol: :wub: Yes, I guess my indie game hate is my contribution to this thread!

I kind of like hearing about indie development - you know, how people approach level design, is there any interesting tech going into the game, etc. And I'll sometimes play very short experiments people make (like some of the stuff RKN has done). But 99% of the time I'm just not interested in pouring hours into an indie game, I have too many proper games to play and not enough time to play them as it is.

I like the fighting games Skullgirls and Under Night In-Birth, which both started as indie projects (though proper studios had grown around them by the time I got into them and I think that gives them a very different, more polished feel to self-proclaimed "indie" fighting games, you know, nonsense like "Fightin' Herds").

User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by Balladeer » Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Karl_ wrote:...99% of the time I'm just not interested in pouring hours into an indie game, I have too many proper games to play...

Image

(I feel kinda bad for slapping that on Karl when he defended me earlier on the page, but couldn’t resist. :lol: Ilu Karl. And pretty much entirely agree on your old games post. Not on this one though.)

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Your Unpopular Opinions
by OrangeRKN » Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Karl is a corporate gatekeeper, he won't accept any videogame unless Big Business has a hand in it

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, DarkRula, Edd, Hound, ITSMILNER, kerr9000, KjGarly, Met, OldSoulCyborg, Spindash, Tsunade and 178 guests