PostToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove! |OT| Go f u n k yo' self
by Dangerblade » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 pm

1st March 2019
HumaNature Studios
PC | NSW | PS4 | XBO
16.99 GBP | 19.99 USD | 20.99 EUR
PS4 & NSW physical releases via Limited Run Games

YOOOOOO what is this?

ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove! is the 4th game in the popular series which began in 1991, starring everybody's favourite funky aliens, ToeJam and Big Earl. Created by original designer Greg Johnson, it marks the first game in the series since 2002's Xbox-exclusive Mission to Earth. Back in the Groove!'s gameplay hearkens back to the roguelike exploration of the first game, rather than the more platform-focused sequels, though elements of the later games do indeed feature (hello, HyperFunk Zone!). The game is 4 years in the making, with 8,873 backers pledging 508,637 USD to bring the game to life via KickStarter in early 2015. I, myself, pledged at the Spin Master DJ tier, so you can see that I have been h i g h l y anticipating this game.

Aiiiiight you got my attention. Gimme some f e a t u r e s

HumaNature Studios wrote:ToeJam and Earl is the ULTIMATE multiplayer game! Lots of new features and presents to help your homie out… or um… totally mess with them, if that’s your thing.
9 playable characters each with unique play styles including familiar faces like ToeJam and Earl as well as some old and new friends!
Explore to over 30 groovy tunes including unforgettable remixes and new funky fresh basslines performed by musical funkmeister Cody Wright.
Use everything at your disposal to unlock all the secret goodies--new presents, power hats, characters, levels and more. Just remember, some things may be a little… unpredictable. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
Return to the HyperFunk Zone to power up your character or freestyle awesome beats in the classic rhythm matching mini game.
More than 50 Earthlings and over 60 powerful presents all jam-packed into an ever-changing crazy Earth make this the most complete ToeJam & Earl experience yet!

F U N K Y af! What does it look like!?

I need to hear these g r o o v y tunes!

Shut up and take this money I found on the ground! Anything else I should see?

Website
Twitter
Facebook
YouTube
Twitch

Reviews

Destructoid wrote:Playing this game is equivalent to downing some orange soda and Cool Ranch Doritos while watching Rocko’s Modern Life with the Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff playing on my parents’ six-CD player. With a little more variety in objectives this could be the killer co-op game to end all co-op games, but even with the same basic goal each run, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove is one of the illest, dopest, most hella fly experiences I’ve had on my Switch. And while I know that vernacular is terribly dated, it totally works when talking about this game.

Link

Polygon wrote:There were moments where it felt like I was playing the same game that came out when I was 11. But the look was just a bit more lavish, and the funky bass line was arranged just differently enough. Back in the Groove is the perfect mix of polish and nostalgia, and one that I can’t wait to play through again.

Link

Gaming Age wrote:As a big fan of the original ToeJam & Earl, I’d highly suggest picking up Back in the Groove when it launches this week. Even if you don’t have an ounce of affinity for the first game, or weren’t around to experience it to begin with, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove still comes together as a modern roguelike that everyone can enjoy.

A

Link

Rock Paper Shotgun (some miserable banana split called John Walker who misses the point entirely) wrote:I imagine if you have a deep nostalgic love of Toejam & Earl, perhaps because it was the game you played when you were eight to get over the death of a hamster, then you’ll be just utterly furious with me for besmirching someone spending over half a million dollars of other people’s money to make the same game again. This Is The Game For You. But for anyone who’s curious about the game’s legacy, and wants to experience that infectious funky joy it at first presents, you can pick up the original on Steam for 79p, and then refund it after you’ve finished it.

Otherwise, this is really hard to recommend. The music, which really should have been the focus, is tinny ultra-basic beats, sounding like midi files in their simplicity. There’s no attempt at livening it up with real instruments, and the game’s Guitar Hero-style button-along sequences are insultingly rudimentary. Crikey, I just kept thinking of so many different ways this could have been a much more ambitious take on a cheerful anachronism from an ancient 16-bit era. Sadly, I appear to have been the only one.

Link

Player List

PC

Jazzem
Pedz

Switch

-

PS4

Dangerblade

XBO

-

Last edited by Dangerblade on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

PostRe: ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove! |OT| Go funk yo' self
by Dangerblade » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 pm

- Steam key giveaway! Send me a PM with the subject title JAMMIN' and I will do a random draw on Sunday night!

Last edited by Dangerblade on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 pm

does it have online co-op?

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Love ToeJam & Earl. I also liked the 2nd game.

It looks really ace, I wish I had backed it, but didn't know about the Kickstarter until it was finished. TBH that happens a lot :(

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Mafro wrote:does it have online co-op?

2-player local and up to 4-player online co-op on PC and consoles

Last edited by Dangerblade on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 pm

4... Player? Who are the 2 other characters?

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Pedz wrote:4... Player? Who are the 2 other characters?

Latisha and Peabo (among others)

Last edited by Dangerblade on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Were the in the last game? I don't know them.

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Pedz wrote:Were the in the last game? I don't know them.

Peabo is from Panic on Funkotron, Latisha is from Mission to Earth

Dual
Joined in 2008

by Dual » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Love that early 90s aesthetic. Its like a De La Soul music video.

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:50 pm

13 DAYS TO GO

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:00 am

5 DAYS TO GO

Zartan
Joined in 2008

by Zartan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:08 am

I kickstarted this 4 years ago apparently, this is the only thing left from those days that I am waiting on

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:56 am

Dangerblade wrote:5 DAYS TO GO

:lol: :lol: This is so good

<]:^D
Joined in 2008

by <]:^D » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:42 pm

i was just about to post the same thing :lol:

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:47 pm

2 DAYS TO GO!

twitter.com/toejamandearl/status/1100826219279351808

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:59 pm

About 19 hours til this goes live.

There's not as much hype here as I hoped :( I'm not gonna be able to play this til later this weekend for personal reasons. Hopefully other people can give some thoughts rather than this becoming my sad personal blog

BTW Destructoid gave this 9.5/10 if that helps idk https://www.destructoid.com/review-toej ... 4364.phtml

HailToTheKingBaby!
Joined in 2008

by HailToTheKingBaby! » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 am

Got my Kickstarter codes through for switch and Xbox. Though Xbox one says can't use it until 5pm which sucks as off work today. Hoping switch version will be unlocked when get home though as that redeemed ok.

Looks like a remake of the first game with a ton of extra stuff which is what I wanted so hopefully it'll be good, the first one is still great fun despite its age so hopefully this will capture the same magic.

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:29 am

I still didn't have a 16-bit machine when the first T&E came out, and this was one of those games that I was really jealous of. It looked so bright, humorous and expansive.

I never actually played it, so not sure I can be bothered with it now, but it is bringing back some weird emotions.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Question, what is the actual gameplay loop of this?

Return to “Games”