Celeste - Consoles, PC - A clever, tricksy platformer - Chapter 9 is out on 9/9! FREE ON EGS!!

Anything to do with games at all.
Balladeer
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Celeste - Consoles, PC - A clever, tricksy platformer - Chapter 9 is out on 9/9!
by Balladeer » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:13 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Squinty wrote:Is the DLC brutally difficult? I beat the main game and the additional core chapter. Is it beyond my skill level?

It's at least on the level of the B and C sides, and it's gated halfway so you need to complete them anyway

Ah crap, really? :( I love Celeste, but I never played the Bs and Cs because they didn't have any story context, and in all honesty I don't fancy going back and doing them now much. Bugger.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Celeste - Consoles, PC - A clever, tricksy platformer - Chapter 9 is out on 9/9!
by Squinty » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:32 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Squinty wrote:Is the DLC brutally difficult? I beat the main game and the additional core chapter. Is it beyond my skill level?

It's at least on the level of the B and C sides, and it's gated halfway so you need to complete them anyway

Ah strawberry float.

I might climb that particular mountain then :datass: :dread:

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Just to clarify, it's a crystal heart gate like for chapter 8. I don't know how many you need but I'm pretty sure it's more than the previous gate.

orkn.uk - Top 5 Games of 2023 - SW-6533-2461-3235
OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:08 pm

To clarify further the only actual requirement is beating Chapter 8 (though how exactly that can be true despite the heart gate I'll let you figure out for yourself).

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 pm

I realised I was making the opening of the final screen way harder than it needed to be, so now I'm doing better :toot:

Still only got as far as the vertical climb so far though. I'm very impressed it only took you 50 minutes!

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:31 pm

Danmon (X Machina) wrote:I realised I was making the opening of the final screen way harder than it needed to be, so now I'm doing better :toot:

I'm curious: which part, and how?

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:49 am

I DID IT

9h25m and 3202 deaths :lol: Full stats/title screen with stamps:

I noticed the platforms hidden by the electricity on the vertical climb so I'm pretty sure going back to those is the extra challenge OSC talks about... but for now I'm just happy to have finished the chapter!

OldSoulCyborg wrote:I'm curious: which part, and how?

So at the very start I was bouncing off all three fish, throwing the jellyfish just over the barrier and then immediately up-right dashing through the barrier below it to catch it. There is a very small margin for catching the jelly fish moving upper right on the other side and just clearing the top of the next barrier. Somehow I fluked this on like my second go so I spent ages replicating this and getting good at it, although I never got it down reliably. Then I realised on coming back to the game after a break last night I could just dash myself higher before the third fish, throw the jellyfish through with plenty of space, use the fish explosion to get through the barrier, and then comfortably up dash into the waiting jellyfish. Way easier :lol:

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Congrats!

Danmon (X Machina) wrote:Somehow I fluked this on like my second go so I spent ages replicating this

Sounds familiar. :lol:
Must have done something similar myself on at least a couple occasions. The intended path isn't always obvious, and when you find something that works you can easily get tunnel vision.

I was watching TGH's (multiple world-record holding speedrunner) casual playthrough of this and he had that problem a lot as well. Was a bit slower than my first time as well. Hundreds fewer deaths than me though, despite taking longer. Guess the difference is that my playstyle is just a bit more throwing Madeline to her death at a problem until it's solved. :lol:

SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Hmm, really struggling with the DLC and not actually enjoying it at all. Whilst the original was obviously somewhat challenging, I felt that for the most part the main challenge was just figuring out what to do, which was fun. In the DLC I'm finding I know what to do, and just hoping for pot luck that it pays off. I'm just trying the same technique multiple times and getting lucky if the controls work. I checked some walkthrough videos to see if what I was doing was correct and it was.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 pm

SandyCoin wrote:Hmm, really struggling with the DLC and not actually enjoying it at all. Whilst the original was obviously somewhat challenging, I felt that for the most part the main challenge was just figuring out what to do, which was fun. In the DLC I'm finding I know what to do, and just hoping for pot luck that it pays off. I'm just trying the same technique multiple times and getting lucky if the controls work. I checked some walkthrough videos to see if what I was doing was correct and it was.

Have you beaten all the B-sides yet, or just the regular levels?

SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:48 pm

OldSoulCyborg wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Hmm, really struggling with the DLC and not actually enjoying it at all. Whilst the original was obviously somewhat challenging, I felt that for the most part the main challenge was just figuring out what to do, which was fun. In the DLC I'm finding I know what to do, and just hoping for pot luck that it pays off. I'm just trying the same technique multiple times and getting lucky if the controls work. I checked some walkthrough videos to see if what I was doing was correct and it was.

I believe so, yes.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:26 pm

SandyCoin wrote:
OldSoulCyborg wrote:

I believe so, yes.

And the C-sides?

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:40 pm

SandyCoin wrote:In the DLC I'm finding I know what to do, and just hoping for pot luck that it pays off. I'm just trying the same technique multiple times and getting lucky if the controls work.

What are you playing on? On switch I infrequently have problems with the controls because I'm using the stick, but mostly it's fine and the game itself doesn't come down to luck.

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:This game :wub:

I am super rusty, so jumping straight into this was a struggle, but I've got a fair way - just reached the checkpoint where the classical styled music kicks in (after the area with all the keys/key blocks). Clouds have always been my nemesis in this game so this is a good point to stop for the night :lol:

This is where I got to last night and decided to stop and work on some C-Sides instead. Just need to do the Mirror Temple and Summit ones now, then the one that unlocks for the Core. Gulp.

I wonder if the level editor will ever be released...

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Managed to get a sub 30 on Farewell.
72 deaths in that run.

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:39 pm

You are actually mental

:wub:

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:33 pm

I try, but the truly mental are the likes of people who've gotten the golden strawberry for Chapter 9 (yep, already), or done it in under 20 minutes.

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:34 am

350 deaths later, dashless 1A completed 8-)

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:51 am

Dangerblade wrote:350 deaths later, dashless 1A completed 8-)

Nice!

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:01 am

It's such wonderful level design to put a challenge like that in there. Like...I guess they made the level, then had the dashless idea, so made all these tiny little changes to it to make sure it wasn't impossible, but you had to use crazy mechanics that you don't really need anywhere else in the game.

And what a game :wub:

Return to “Games”