Nintendo Switch Chat Thread V

Anything to do with games at all.
Balladeer
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread V
by Balladeer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:06 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:It's nin tendo who are more likely to suffer from a loss of indie sales if the same games appear on gamepass. Although it is streaming only, which requires internet access, then there would still be a differentiator.

First off, it's Nintendo, not nin tendo

*its

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:09 pm

DarkRula
Joined in 2018

by DarkRula » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:58 pm

Well, this has been an interesting meme to see develop...

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:28 pm

Picked up Inside at 75% off. Am I going to have nightmares? I'm a big wuss. :shifty:

Barnsy!
Joined in 2019

by Barnsy! » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 pm

Balladeer wrote:Picked up Inside at 75% off. Am I going to have nightmares? I'm a big wuss. :shifty:

Is this first time playing? You're in for a treat - Its a strawberry floating masterpiece! 75% off to - I'm happy for you man. Make sure you let us know what you think of it. You're going to love it :D

Its not nightmare inducing - because you will be too scared to sleep in the first place to have nightmares ;)

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 pm

twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1382385706052562951

Sale now on, tons of stuff on there, I have picked up the deluxe bundle of Void Bastards for £13.99, tempted by Ruiner for £8.99 as well

PuppetBoy
Joined in 2008

by PuppetBoy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm

I see Hades has a little discount in the sale. Tempting.

Fisher
Joined in 2018

by Fisher » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 pm

shyguy64 did you sell sea shells in animal crossing new horizons today.

Yoshimi
Joined in 2008

by Yoshimi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:53 am

PuppetBoy wrote:I see Hades has a little discount in the sale. Tempting.

Just got a physical copy of Hades today, from Amazon for £25. Thought it was worth the little bit extra than the digital version. Great game. Really enjoying it so far.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 am

Balladeer wrote:Picked up Inside at 75% off. Am I going to have nightmares? I'm a big wuss. :shifty:

It's not really scary in that way I'd say. It has an oppressive tone to it and can be tense but I dont think you'll have nightmares nightmares if you're a big wuss.

It's also very, very good so enjoy!

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 am

Limbo is also £1.79 which is a bargain! Also, Katana Zero is £8.09 and is a fantastic game and well worth that price (the dev is currently working on a massive DLC pack that will be free)

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 am

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell sea shells in animal crossing new horizons today.

nope

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am

Tomous wrote:

It's not really scary in that way I'd say. It has an oppressive tone to it and can be tense but I dont think you'll have nightmares nightmares if you're a big wuss.

It's also very, very good so enjoy!

Oh good!

Barnsy! wrote:Is this first time playing? You're in for a treat - Its a strawberry floating masterpiece! 75% off to - I'm happy for you man. Make sure you let us know what you think of it. You're going to love it :D

Its not nightmare inducing - because you will be too scared to sleep in the first place to have nightmares ;)

Oh. Good...

Yep first time. So far I've been shot, drugged, torn apart by dogs, drowned, and crunched into a heap. Just got to the using a pig to get to the control helmet bit before deciding to play something cheerier (Tales of Vesperia) before bed. It feels good but oppressive, yes, although I found the sequence with the tree branch trippings more irritating than anything else.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 am

ITSMILNER wrote:Limbo is also £1.79 which is a bargain!

Also worth picking up Balladeer, from the same developers as Inside. Although also very oppressive and sinister feeling :lol:

Barnsy!
Joined in 2019

by Barnsy! » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am

Tomous wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Limbo is also £1.79 which is a bargain!

Also worth picking up Balladeer, from the same developers as Inside. Although also very oppressive and sinister feeling :lol:

For what its worth, loved Inside - strawberry floating hated Limbo. Its not bad but depressing and really oppressive feeling. If you want more of the same once you finish Limbo, personally I'd go for Stella. Black the Fall and Toby were pretty good too. Little Nightmares isn't a direct clone but you may enjoy it if you like Inside.

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:05 am

I just remember Limbo being trial-and-error the game which is why I've never bothered to pick up Inside. Death was meaningless because it wasn't really reactable, you just had to die so next time through you'd know what was coming so you could avoid it. The spider was cool though

orkn.uk - Top 5 Games of 2023 - SW-6533-2461-3235
deathofcows
Joined in 2009

by deathofcows » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:00 pm

But I think once you stop worrying about death it just becomes punctuation (like in Meat Boy or something) and you can instead enjoy the puzzles and set-pieces (which are good!) and gradually unfolding themes and drama. Also some bits teach you how death occurs, then still manages to imbue the scene with tension when you know these 'rules' that you have to work within. I liked Inside and am deffo glad I played it (having not finished Limbo), though I thought the ending was over-hyped.

Last edited by deathofcows on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik_
Joined in 2015

by Rik_ » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:01 pm

PuppetBoy wrote:I see Hades has a little discount in the sale. Tempting.

Absolutely worth it, Hades was my GOTY for 2020 by a long shot. Gameplay is superb, characters are all great, the story is really engaging and it has so much replay value. Also one of the few games I've found that I've actually gotten interested in the speedrunning side of things since it's so fun changing up your playstyle and testing out different builds to rocket through everything.

PSN - Rik2209
Switch - SW-7686-7983-2581
Discord - rik#3968
Barnsy!
Joined in 2019

by Barnsy! » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:25 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:I just remember Limbo being trial-and-error the game which is why I've never bothered to pick up Inside. Death was meaningless because it wasn't really reactable, you just had to die so next time through you'd know what was coming so you could avoid it. The spider was cool though

I didn't enjoy Limbo but I'd strongly urge you / anyone to give Inside a chance - especially at 75% off. The puzzles are less obtuse than Limbo - you get a real sense of place, the puzzles are more like realistic obstacles in a place that exists. Inside is more about emersion than puzzle solving. Theres more of an emphasis on environment interaction door switches and manipulating NPCs to do things in a certain rythum. The puzzles are maybe a little easier - but I think this is intentional so you can move through the game at a nice pace.

Every frame of Inside is a work of art, it's just beautiful and will definitely stay with you long after you finish playing.

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:33 pm

deathofcows wrote:But I think once you stop worrying about death it just becomes punctuation (like in Meat Boy or something) and you can instead enjoy the puzzles and set-pieces (which are good!) and gradually unfolding themes and drama. Also some bits teach you how death occurs, then still manages to imbue the scene with tension when you know these 'rules' that you have to work within. I liked Inside and am deffo glad I played it (having not finished Limbo), though I thought the ending was over-hyped.

I enjoy the spectacle of set pieces in something like Uncharted, but there you rarely die or have to repeat a section. In Limbo that happened all the time which I think was a detriment to the enjoyment of the set pieces, breaking up the experience and the repetition laying bare the shackled direction. There were good set pieces, and the deaths were often grimly satisfying to watch, but I ended up feeling very detached from the whole thing because the strict rules to progress were so apparent. Was worrying about death not the intention? The light horror trappings and general oppressive atmosphere suggest you should be.

orkn.uk - Top 5 Games of 2023 - SW-6533-2461-3235

Return to “Games”